Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>What Kinds of Activities
sahm2three 09:44 AM 04-26-2010
do you do with the dck's? What I am asking for is educationally/art projects, stuff like that. I have kids from 4 months to 6 years old (these are the ones home during most of the day, I also have after school kids). I am not a teacher, but I try to make any activities we do educational. Do you have any advice on things I can do or books I can use? Thanks!
momofsix 10:20 AM 04-26-2010
If there's something specific you'd like them to do--for example, we're learning about farms right now--just do a google search for "farm activities preschool" (or substitute "activities" with "themes", "curriculum" or "lesson plans") and you'll get more ideas than you know what to do with.
kitkat 10:25 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
If there's something specific you'd like them to do--for example, we're learning about farms right now--just do a google search for "farm activities preschool" (or substitute "activities" with "themes", "curriculum" or "lesson plans") and you'll get more ideas than you know what to do with.
That's exactly what I do. I also will try to pick out a story for a week and base activities off of that. You can also try your local library. Mine has a teacher/ parent resource section in the kids department that has a slew of activity books/ideas.
TGT09 11:14 AM 04-26-2010
I don't know if you are interested in doing a curriculum?? I started Funshine Express just last month and it has been a huge hit with my dckids and their parents. It comes with materials to do crafts with the kids at least 2-4 times a week. It also gives a list of books that coincide with that weeks theme. Plus, general activities that go along with the theme as well. I am a huge fan so far and have yet to find anything I dislike about the program. www.funshineexpress.com if you'd like to check it out. You can supplement anywhere from pretty young (I think 9 months) all the way through school aged children with this program.
sahm2three 11:36 AM 04-26-2010
I would love to do a cirriculum, but how on earth does one on our salary afford one? It looks fantastic, but not something I can afford to do. Does everyone do a cirriculum?
momma2girls 11:54 AM 04-26-2010
I do my own, get lots of things off the internet. This month we are doing April showers bring May flowers as our theme. THere are many things you can come up with and do lots of things dealing with that. We have monthly fun activies such as pajama parties, birthday parties, spa days, movie and popcorn, show and tell, bring something that starts with a certain letter we are doing for that month, then we practice that letter, zoo day, stuffed animal day, bring along your favorite movie day, the list goes on and on..... you can get many ideas off the internet-- it is so much cheaper than the websites, I did try one with a friend, we split everything, but even that was expensive, and it was only to be for a month worth of activities, we never ordered them again. I am sure there are really good ones out there though, I think if I did go to something like that, I would have to charge the parents more on a weekly basis to pay for it. it just all depends on the age of all your daycare children as well.
momofsix 11:55 AM 04-26-2010
I can't afford to buy one either, so I make up my own. I realized when I homeschooled our girls that I never could find a pre-made curriculum that I liked. I might like their science experiments, but history was boring...never found one that had it all, so even then I usually made my own by combining different ideas and putting them together my own way. I think curriculum has to be something that really works with you, the provider, or it isn't going to do anything for your kids.
Also, don't get too caught up on worksheets or "teaching" them any hard concepts. it will only stress you and the kids out. Kids learn best when they are discovering things themselves by actively doing--for example, back to my farm theme
Seeds: to touch, open, play with in texture tub, plant in dirt
Just in this one thing they are learning what seeds are, what they look and feel like, what they need to grow, how to pour and measure, how to count... and it includes science, math, fine motor, cause and effect...
Almost anything we do can be a learning experience for our kids, and it doesn't have to cost a lot of money!
gkids09 11:57 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I would love to do a cirriculum, but how on earth does one on our salary afford one? It looks fantastic, but not something I can afford to do. Does everyone do a cirriculum?
I don't do a curriculum. I do not think doing one is a bad thing by any means, but I just don't do it. We used to have one, but it got to where the kids didn't care about doing any of it, and if the kids aren't happy, we aren't going to force them to do it. So...I decided to do my own. The kids, so far, have loved every minute of it, and it is not getting old to any of us teachers yet either. What I do is come up with a theme for every week of the year that we're open (which is all but one--the week of Christmas), and then I got on Amazon.com and found books to go with the themes (one book for each day of the week). Like others have said, I googled each theme, came up with ideas for songs, fingerplays, art, "walking" field trips since I don't transport, and even some things to add in dramatic play, sand and water, or whatever. I love doing it. The kids love learning about new stuff, and all the parents seem more pleased with me doing it this way than with a curriculum. (And it's cheaper!) Good luck!
sahm2three 12:02 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I can't afford to buy one either, so I make up my own. I realized when I homeschooled our girls that I never could find a pre-made curriculum that I liked. I might like their science experiments, but history was boring...never found one that had it all, so even then I usually made my own by combining different ideas and putting them together my own way. I think curriculum has to be something that really works with you, the provider, or it isn't going to do anything for your kids.
Also, don't get too caught up on worksheets or "teaching" them any hard concepts. it will only stress you and the kids out. Kids learn best when they are discovering things themselves by actively doing--for example, back to my farm theme
Seeds: to touch, open, play with in texture tub, plant in dirt
Just in this one thing they are learning what seeds are, what they look and feel like, what they need to grow, how to pour and measure, how to count... and it includes science, math, fine motor, cause and effect...
Almost anything we do can be a learning experience for our kids, and it doesn't have to cost a lot of money!
LOVE it! Thanks! I think we will do something similar! Think we can get something to sprout by Mothers Day week? Probably not quite that fast, lol. But thanks for the idea!
Unregistered 12:37 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
do you do with the dck's? What I am asking for is educationally/art projects, stuff like that. I have kids from 4 months to 6 years old (these are the ones home during most of the day, I also have after school kids). I am not a teacher, but I try to make any activities we do educational. Do you have any advice on things I can do or books I can use? Thanks!
There are alot of free printables projects on the site http://www.dltk-kids.com/
Unregistered 01:47 PM 04-26-2010
You do not need to buy a curriculum, there is so much free stuff out there on the internet,
just google what you are looking for and you should find some resources

Here is my own curriculum calendar from a few years ago:

Preschool Curriculumn Calendar 2005-2006
AUGUST
THIS MONTHS KIDS FOR CHARACTER: CITIZENSHIP

WEEK 1 & 2:
THEME: BACK TO SCHOOL
THIS WEEKS LETTER: INTRODUCE ALL
THIS WEEKS NUMBER: INTORDUCE 1-20
THIS WEEKS SKILL: NAME RECOGNITION & TRACING SKILLS

WEEK 3 & 4:
THEME: COLOR & SHAPES