Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>2 Weeks Notice is actually 3??
tlc 10:06 AM 02-25-2011
I put in my two weeks notice today (Friday) after discussing with our daycare provider just this last Wednesday that my husband lost his position at his job. He put in HIS 2 week notice, and they let him go.

Our full 2 weeks end on Friday March 11th. But from what it sounds like she is saying to me that since I pay on Friday for the next week (in advance), that my actual 2 weeks does not start until next Friday. So I pay this next week (which I did), then I pay the next week which starts my two week, and then the next? Wait-- so she really means we need a 3 week notice??

We have a great relationship with her and the kids LOVE her. I plan on starting her services again, provided that she has room, when my husband leaves in 4-6 weeks for overseas. I don't agree with this and I don't believe its in my contract like this. I'll have to re-read it, but if she is going to make me pay when i fulfilled my obligation...I don't think I'll be returning.

Anyone else have this before?
kendallina 10:15 AM 02-25-2011
Huh...this has me confused. Do you think she was just confused about the dates??

I would double check your handbook and contract and talk to her again. The way you describe it, it sounds like she is telling people 2 weeks, but is actually wanting pay for 3, which doesn't sound fair.
DCMomOf3 10:16 AM 02-25-2011
As a provider I expect money for the last two weeks of care. I get paid on Fridays as well and I would never ask for the payment on the last day of care with the proper notice just because it's a normal payday.

I suggest you pull out your contract with the termination section ready and just talk to her about it. If it says two weeks paid notice, as long as you have paid for care through the 11th of March, you shouldn't pay for care after that.
jen 10:19 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by tlc:
I put in my two weeks notice today (Friday) after discussing with our daycare provider just this last Wednesday that my husband lost his position at his job. He put in HIS 2 week notice, and they let him go.

Our full 2 weeks end on Friday March 11th. But from what it sounds like she is saying to me that since I pay on Friday for the next week (in advance), that my actual 2 weeks does not start until next Friday. So I pay this next week (which I did), then I pay the next week which starts my two week, and then the next? Wait-- so she really means we need a 3 week notice??

We have a great relationship with her and the kids LOVE her. I plan on starting her services again, provided that she has room, when my husband leaves in 4-6 weeks for overseas. I don't agree with this and I don't believe its in my contract like this. I'll have to re-read it, but if she is going to make me pay when i fulfilled my obligation...I don't think I'll be returning.

Anyone else have this before?
Hmm...I see your point. You defnitely should go back and re-read your contract. If that is in there, you shouldn't be upset as you already agreed to it. If not, I would try to discuss it with her again.

Also, if your children LOVE her and you need to use her services in the next few weeks, I'd probably be offering her 1/2 pay for the 4-6 weeks to ensure that I had a spot. Good daycare is really hard to find and she may already have other families on a waiting list, ready and willing to snap up that spot. Personally, if I found someone I trusted and my kids loved, I would do whatever I could to make that arrangement work out.
Lilbutterflie 10:34 AM 02-25-2011
To me, it doesn't matter when payday is. You give two weeks notice, and that two weeks has to be paid. Some providers require the payment for the last two weeks the same day they give the two week notice.

Something tells me this is a miscommunication. The way I see it, unless her contract is written differently (see below); here's how it should go:
You paid today for next week (Feb 28-March 4)
You pay again next Friday for the week after (March 7-11)
That is two weeks notice, paid in full.

But if her contract says something like, "Two weeks notice from the next pay day is required"; then I would say she is right. But if it just says "Two weeks notice is required and needs to be paid in full"; I would say you are right.

I would say you need to find the contract and bring it to her and sit down with her to have a meeting of the minds. I really think it must be just a miscommunication.
nannyde 11:36 AM 02-25-2011
If your contract says two weeks notice without additional stipulation and you pay one week up front then you would pay her today and then pay her next Friday.

She's probably not realized how to word the termination to make sure she gets two weeks of pay IN ADDITION to this weeks pay. She will have to learn this the hard way.

Two weeks is two weeks. What she wants is two more checks NOT counting the check she got today. It's very common when providers don't consider the week ahead payment as actually being for the week ahead. They consider it THIS weeks pay.

I don't allow this kind of notice EXACTLY because of this scenario. I don't want a situation where I get notice and get one more check besides todays check.

Here's mine: Termination of child care: We require a one calendar month notice in writing for termination of child care services. We receive notices on Friday's only. Any unused acrued vacation and Holiday pay owed to the day care will be due at the end of the contract. Parents are required to pay for all of the one months notice time regardless of the child's attendance.

I accrue holiday and vacation pay at 1.5 days per month. I receive that money in ADDITION to the one month notice pay. Usually when I get notice the parent has about 600-800 dollars of additional pay on top of the salary paid on the Friday they give notice. It varies depending on where I am in the cycle of paid days off. If it is right before I take a vacation then the parent still owes the week of paid vacation PLUS the one calander month notice.

She most likely didn't know the math on this but that's not your problem. If it is a plain two weeks then you just have one more check to give. She'll learn and she will make sure that future clients have to give more notice.
Tags:2 weeks, 3 weeks, daycare, notice
Reply Up