Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
spud912 06:20 AM 11-15-2011
I have a dilemma and wanted to get opinions.

Here is what I have (in order of enrollment date):

dck1: good child, but gets into trouble (typical boy behavior)
mother is absolutely the best dcm (very appreciative, kind, apologetic,
etc.)
dck2: very sweet, does not cause trouble, listens, etc.
parents are very nice, although their schedules are erratic (always
picks up on time or very very early which is nice, but drops off at
random times and I never know when she is coming or leaving)
dck3: very sweet, not a trouble maker at all, listens, behind on speech
mother is nice and very appreciative

All 3 children are potty trained and the same age (2-3 yo). They all sleep 2+ hours at nap time. All parents pay on time and do not come late.

Mother of dck1 is pregnant. She said she will send her baby to another daycare if I do not have room or do not want to watch a baby (although it's obvious she would really prefer me). She will continue to send dck here since she really likes me. I would prefer to keep her kids together. The state ratios allow me to take in one more child, but I do not want to watch more than 5 (the 3 dck and my 2 children). Dck3 is part-time and the newest. Her spot depends on how quickly dcm finds a job after graduating from school next month.

What would you do? I am worried about how long dck1 will be gone on maternity leave because I really depend on her income. Also she is in the military and hypothetically could be deployed or moved in the future. However, I really know her son well and she is truly the best dcm. Should I encourage her to contact the other dc for the baby? I would prefer not to term one of the other 2 children to make room for the baby because they are so sweet and easy-going. Also, I never really wanted to take in infants, but it does come at a good time (my youngest would be ~20 months old when new baby comes). I have 2 families on my waiting list if she were to leave.
Country Kids 06:27 AM 11-15-2011
I think I would leave everything as it is. You have your 5 children you are allowed and it sounds like a great mix. Very good group with behavior and naps, along with great parents. If the parent is willing to find another childcare that is a great sign!!! Bringing in an infant might turn everything upside down. Jealousy with the sibling, alot of time devoted to the newborn, jealousy with your own little ones.

So talk this over with the mom and explain why your making the decision you are. Let her know that dcb is more than welcome to come during the maternity leave to keep some sort of schedule with him and go from there.

Good luck! I have a mom expecting and I don't take infants at all so we still have to figure that one at!
laundrymom 06:31 AM 11-15-2011
I would encourage mom to keep kids together and get new child in.
wdmmom 06:39 AM 11-15-2011
When is she due?

Have you asked her if DCB will continue to come to daycare while she is on maternity leave?

I would invite her to schedule an interview so you can talk about the future. Then you can get all of your questions answered and make a logical, informed decision based on the information you gather.
spud912 12:27 PM 11-15-2011
All very good suggestions. Thanks! Anyone else have suggestions?
Tags:filling a spot, filling spots, siblings
Reply Up