Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soooo Sad ;'(
ABCDaycareMN 06:50 AM 02-25-2013
We just got a guinea pig last night and I woke up allergic to it. My son is so heartbroken...... Any suggestions on helping the situation? We have to bring her back soon after he gets home from school. We have already taken pictures. I'll print for him.

I feel like I should get horrible mom of the year award. But I can't control it.
Meeko 06:54 AM 02-25-2013
I'm so sorry!

No matter how sad, you cannot be around something you are allergic to (unless it can be controlled by not touching it etc.) Your son will no doubt will upset, but I am sure he doesn't want his mom to suffer and will understand.
ABCDaycareMN 07:01 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm so sorry!

No matter how sad, you cannot be around something you are allergic to (unless it can be controlled by not touching it etc.) Your son will no doubt will upset, but I am sure he doesn't want his mom to suffer and will understand.
Thanks for your kind words. I would be the main caregiver so not an option to not touch it. It could also be the hay...
NeedaVaca 07:04 AM 02-25-2013
awww, that's too bad can you get him a fish, turtle or lizard? Something else he could love?
ABCDaycareMN 07:13 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
awww, that's too bad can you get him a fish, turtle or lizard? Something else he could love?
We can't have lizards here and be licensed. I don't remember why though.

We have fish a dog and 2 cats. Lots of love but he wanted his own.
Loveyoustinkyface 07:15 AM 02-25-2013
You're right, it might be the HAY! I would take all the hay out out of the cage and the house, wait a few days and see if anything changes. Might want to give the guinnea pig a bath too!
ABCDaycareMN 07:19 AM 02-25-2013
I've showered and removed all from the house and put the cage in a closet. And Benadryl is my friend...
itlw8 07:20 AM 02-25-2013
We got 2 birds when I was little. My sis was allergic to them so they left after a month. Really I do not remember it being that big of a deal. It was not like losing our dog that was a member of the family.

That sounds hard.... but he will do fine stop putting all the bad things on your shoulders. We can not protect them from everything. These little lessons are what make kids caring adults later.
ABCDaycareMN 07:28 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
We got 2 birds when I was little. My sis was allergic to them so they left after a month. Really I do not remember it being that big of a deal. It was not like losing our dog that was a member of the family.

That sounds hard.... but he will do fine stop putting all the bad things on your shoulders. We can not protect them from everything. These little lessons are what make kids caring adults later.
Thank you! I think it's harder because my son has gotten very sensitive lately but I do believe he understood.

I know it's what's best for the guinea pig. She would not get the attention she deserves with me not beig able to touch her. Plus if it is the hay, she needs that to survive. It's best to bring her back today and not wait longer to get even more attached.
daycarediva 07:38 AM 02-25-2013
Are you sure it's the guinea pig that you are allergic to? I only say this because my dd has a rabbit, certain small animal bedding breaks her out AWFUL in hives. She is allergic to pine shavings, cedar, even the 'recycled' newspaper stuff! We had to go with plain old hay, and even then she has to wash her hands really, really well!

Sorry for your poor son.
ABCDaycareMN 07:56 AM 02-25-2013
I've had a rabbit before and a hamster but I have never felt this way. Could allergies intensify when you get older?
Willow 08:12 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Are you sure it's the guinea pig that you are allergic to? I only say this because my dd has a rabbit, certain small animal bedding breaks her out AWFUL in hives. She is allergic to pine shavings, cedar, even the 'recycled' newspaper stuff! We had to go with plain old hay, and even then she has to wash her hands really, really well!

Sorry for your poor son.

This was what I was wondering!

Could definitely be the shavings and not the piggy or the hay.

Even if it is the hay you can get it in compressed blocks instead of loose and that would very likely minimize if not completely alleviate your symptoms.

If it's the shavings you could try Carefresh bedding or even better yet fleece liners. That's what we used on the bottom of our CnC cage when we had them.
ABCDaycareMN 01:22 PM 02-25-2013
I already had the care fresh bedding but I don't think it's that.

I just really think its the hay in the closed up small house. I'm glad we found out we cannot keep her just after one day rather than after a couple years. I really like to give animals a forever home.

It's just so sad we have to go through the process of a return and shake up a living animal again. I wish we would have known about my allergies before we embarked on this adventure. Breaks my heart not only for my son but for the guinea pig. I just hope someone will come and give her a forever home and spoil her good.

Thanks for all the kind words. This decision was not made lightly.
Thetotspot 01:28 PM 02-25-2013
Abc...allergies can absolutely intensify with age. I know some people that outgrew allergies too. When i was a child i was allergic to not a darn thing. 7 years ago i started breaking out with hives everywhere. My body will release a histamine reaponse to just touch alone (even water). Sorry to hear about your guinea pig.
Starburst 03:29 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Avoid Turtles (and most anphibians/reptiles) because they can carry salmanella. and they can pose a possible health threat to not only your kids but the DCKs also:

'Do not have a turtle in any household that includes children under 5, the elderly, or people who have lowered natural resistance to disease due to pregnancy, cancer, chemotherapy, organ transplants, diabetes, liver problems or other diseases. A family expecting a child should remove any pet reptile or amphibian from the home before the infant arrives.'- CDC.gov website
Snapdragon 04:43 PM 02-25-2013
So sorry to hear you have turned out to be allergic to your son's guinea pig; it's not uncommon. We had guinea pigs at a center I worked at and one of the employees was allergic to them. The guinea pigs stayed, but the employee was not able to touch them (luckily they weren't in her room).

On another note (and not aimed at the OP, but just a general FYI), guinea pigs do much better if they have a companion. They are very social animals and need the interaction with their own kind. As the OP mentioned, they do need hay, so eliminating hay from their diet (if this is what is causing the allergic reaction) is not an option.
Hunni Bee 05:54 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Thank you! I think it's harder because my son has gotten very sensitive lately but I do believe he understood.

I know it's what's best for the guinea pig. She would not get the attention she deserves with me not beig able to touch her. Plus if it is the hay, she needs that to survive. It's best to bring her back today and not wait longer to get even more attached.
our guinea pig at work only eats hay as a treat - he doesn't need it. He eats guinea pig pellets and fresh veggies mostly. So she won't starve if you don't give her hay, I dont think.
Tags:allergies
Reply Up