Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Activities for School Age Kids
lmdc 05:33 PM 09-29-2009
any suggestions for activities for school aged children? i'm specifically looking for ideas for 1/2 days, vacations/school closing...

thanks!
tinytotzdaycare 05:32 AM 09-30-2009
After several years of sturggling with this same situation we changed our policy to not include children over age 8. We found that our center was geared more towards infants and toddlers and found it hard to keep those schoolagers busy. With such a wide agerange we had the same issues on keeping them busy. I would love more ideas on this issue!! I cant wait to hear what all of you have to say oln this!! Great topic by the way!
mac60 08:42 AM 09-30-2009
I typically do not have kids much older than 8 either. It is tough enough with the ages of infant thru k, let alone throwing schoolagers in the mix. I have a first grader that has been with me for 7 years, she is starting to cause "little tiffs" among the younger children.....trying to be their boss, being in their face, etc. I wish I had the guts to tell them 6 and out. lol
tinytotzdaycare 08:56 AM 09-30-2009
lol, thats funny. I revised my program a few years ago when all of my then schoolagers went into Kindergarten. I know dont take any children after they finish 1st grade. It makes the daycare run smoothly.

I do know in my area there is a HUGE need for b/a school care so ideas on how to run a better program for that age group would be great to know. There is a lady a few blocks away from me that ONLY cares for schoolagers.
She has a great set up for them and only has kiddos during the day on school inservice/vacation/weather related days out and obviously b/a school. She loves it, but is always looking for new activities to keep those guys busy.
mac60 09:35 AM 09-30-2009
Doing schoolagers only here would not be profitable. I only charge $35 for b/a school care. Now if I could make $400 a week doing schoolagers....hmm might do it. Here our rates are about the lowest in the country.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:00 AM 09-30-2009
I dont actively pursue school kids. I have three from the neighborhood that are here, I get 40 a week for the one, and 20 for the other (the 20 is here for about 15 min a day. 4 days a week.) During summer I keep the one and I charge them my normal rate. For activities, we bake, work on homework, sew, build things, help me out with the babies, play basketball. My program is geared more towards a second home for the kids, instead of a daycare one. So they do more home type activities.
Tags:activites, school-age activities
Reply Up