Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Son Keeps Screaming....AHHHH
thecrazyisout 10:19 AM 03-31-2011
Okay, so my son is on a crabby kick. He is 21 months and is NOT happy with the other two little ones in my care...anything and everything they touch he becomes territorrial about and screams...NO, screaches super loud at them yelling OHOHOH (NO NO NO). I am trying to be positive and teach him about sharing, but today I am about to break since I have a huge head ache...any suggestions??? I have tried sitting with him and the little ones teaching them about playing together, I have removed a toy from the situation all together. AND worst of all, when I pick him up and say no screaming, he gives me the cuttest I'm sorry look and hugs me. He's got me wrapped around his finger....
jessrlee 10:25 AM 03-31-2011
Are they his toys? I keep seperate toys for our kids and the daycare. It is also a stage you are going to just have to work on. When he screams and hollers pop him on the couch and say "too loud" or something like it. Sorry to say but picking him up and cuddling him isn't going to solve the problem.
thecrazyisout 10:29 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Are they his toys? I keep seperate toys for our kids and the daycare. It is also a stage you are going to just have to work on. When he screams and hollers pop him on the couch and say "too loud" or something like it. Sorry to say but picking him up and cuddling him isn't going to solve the problem.
Yeah, I know that cuddling him isn't a solution. I pick him up to talk to him, and then that's when he tries his schmoozing over mom. Good idea for the too loud. I say no screaming firmly and set him aside, so I will try new words that maybe he understand.
daycare 10:31 AM 03-31-2011
I keep seperate toys for my son in a different room that are "special toys" He is the only one who is allowed to play with these toys as long as he plays with them in the front room. If he brings them to the back room, then they are free game for everyone.

It took my son almost a full year to adapt. Especially when he would wake up to see kids playing with his toys...
thecrazyisout 10:37 AM 03-31-2011
I have a few special toys in his room where no one goes except him, but we bring them out after everyone leaves. I am thinking maybe I should try something different.
daycare 10:47 AM 03-31-2011
is there a way you can seperate his play area from the others? I am lucky that I have a set up that allows for me to watch my son from the DC room while he is playing alone.

I also put my son down for a nap (he does not sleep its really just book time) last. This way I get to spend some good quality time with him reading in private. Or we will even drag some toys in the room and play alone together.. he has done better since I have made this "us" time.
thecrazyisout 11:15 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
is there a way you can seperate his play area from the others? I am lucky that I have a set up that allows for me to watch my son from the DC room while he is playing alone.

I also put my son down for a nap (he does not sleep its really just book time) last. This way I get to spend some good quality time with him reading in private. Or we will even drag some toys in the room and play alone together.. he has done better since I have made this "us" time.
Good idea, he usually wakes from nap before the other children, so maybe I will wait to put him down, read with him or play and then put him down. I know there are days where he is craving my attention. Poor little man, just wants his mama. I try to not show too much favortism towards him, but it is hard at times. How do you do this?
momatheart 11:21 AM 03-31-2011
Can you give him extra attention before the others arrive in the morning?

Then I agree with the nap time idea.

Also after hours give him a little bit of your fun time or alone one on one time before preparing dinner or cleaning what ever it is you do.

And maybe name this special time. Mommy and joey (whatever his name is)time now. If he has a name to call this special time maybe he will ask for it when he is needing it or wanting it. And he will look forward to this time as well.
daycare 11:33 AM 03-31-2011
I went as far as having a special gate made so that our DC room is now seperate from the rest of the house. We only try to use it when school is in session, lol. I make sure to close down school every day by 6 and then we turn off the lights together. we dont use it for the rest of the night. Same as the weekends. It is really hard to make the transition from DC to home and vise versa at this age. He has been doing really well the last few months. It's so cute he wakes up on saturday and will run to the back DC room and say oh no where are all the kids, they are late for school now....

Just so you know, your son is not alone in this. I think that all of us taht have young kids have had to find some way to make it work.

Also, don't worry about what the parents say to you. A lot of the parents think my child is the devil becuase of how he acts when he wakes to all of the kids playing with his toys, or trying to touch his special toys. I bet their child would not be able to do it all of the time either, yet they expect mine to...
Tags:nap time ideas, provider children, screaming
Reply Up