Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG May Have Pink Eye
awestbrook713 06:16 AM 10-31-2011
So my favorite dcm just called and asks if dcg can come early because the school thinks she has pink eye seriously? You want to expose me my 8 month old and everyone else that will be at my house because you can't get her to the doctors. I don't think so. Needless to say the answer was no. I am batting a thousand with pleasing this dcf.
DaisyMamma 06:27 AM 10-31-2011
I love it. Is she nuts. Not only cant the kid come but she needs to be on medication for 24 hours before she can come, otherwise she will still be contagious. My pediatrician allows you to call and say 'my kid has pink eye' and they call in an RX. No appt. needed.
awestbrook713 06:48 AM 10-31-2011
Well I use to work in the doctors office and know they won't do that for her but still she needs to get to the doctor. Lucky for me this girl doesn't come on tuesdays so mom should hopefully get her in tomorrow and she won't be here until 1pm on wednesday. I will be asking to, its not just the kids I have to worry about if my husband gets pink eye he can't go to work.
awestbrook713 06:50 AM 10-31-2011
grandma is parked in moms driveway, good move on moms part.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
I love it. Is she nuts. Not only cant the kid come but she needs to be on medication for 24 hours before she can come, otherwise she will still be contagious. My pediatrician allows you to call and say 'my kid has pink eye' and they call in an RX. No appt. needed.
Oddly, very few of our physicians medicate for pink eye any more and our child care healthwise book doesn't even recommend exclusion either unless there is yellow pus AND a fever otherwise no exclusion. ....
nannyde 07:55 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
That wouldn't happen here. It's the same amount of money to them if you bring a kid in with pink eye then it is if you bring a kid in who is puking with a high fever and has a rash.

The pink eye visit takes a minute of doc time and brings them a HUGE profit. They LOVE visits like this. Get in... get out... get paid.

I don't allow docs to decide return to day care though. I just want the diagnosis. I can take it from there. They have to be completely free of all signs meaning no exudate, no redness, before return.
awestbrook713 07:56 AM 10-31-2011
Well my own personal feeling is exclusion, she comes here and granted I could keep her away from baby but what do I do with her all day, I can't let her touch all the toys, furniture etc. This just seems like it would have been a disaster. If they don't want her at school around kids I think my daycare is the same type of deal. I have to look out for my own and the kids I watch.
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 10-31-2011
When it comes to eyes, I use the old EMS standby "Wet, Sticky, Not Mine" = "Protect Yourself".

If the eyes are oozing, the child needs to be seperated.

If I can't seperate the child from the group, the child cannot be here.
Tags:pink eye
Reply Up