Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Need of a Good Tongue Lashing!
Happy Hearts 03:22 PM 06-22-2013
So a dcm calls and asks if her dcg can come "visit" on Saturday. I asked her if she wanted to talk about something. Nope, she says she got a job on Saturdays and can dcg come "visit". The inflection of the word visit was so strange. I asked her if she needed me to provide care that day. Yes, she said, if dcg just comes for a "visit" then it could be under the table cash. OOOhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

The weird thing was that she thought I would be so happy to do it, you know, get to watch dcg for 'free money'. She proceeds to get all excited and tell me she asked several of her friends but it's just not the same as here. And, she knows I like my days off, but, dcg will only be visiting so it's ok, right?

I told her I would do it this Saturday but that I have other interests that keep me occupied on the weekends. I have a small party plan business and read Tarot cards for others. I am so angry with myself for saying yes today. Really, really pissed. I planned on doing a video, getting a class ready and having a nap this afternoon.

Why did I do this? ugh.
Cradle2crayons 03:25 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
So a dcm calls and asks if her dcg can come "visit" on Saturday. I asked her if she wanted to talk about something. Nope, she says she got a job on Saturdays and can dcg come "visit". The inflection of the word visit was so strange. I asked her if she needed me to provide care that day. Yes, she said, if dcg just comes for a "visit" then it could be under the table cash. OOOhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

The weird thing was that she thought I would be so happy to do it, you know, get to watch dcg for 'free money'. She proceeds to get all excited and tell me she asked several of her friends but it's just not the same as here. And, she knows I like my days off, but, dcg will only be visiting so it's ok, right?

I told her I would do it this Saturday but that I have other interests that keep me occupied on the weekends. I have a small party plan business and read Tarot cards for others. I am so angry with myself for saying yes today. Really, really pissed. I planned on doing a video, getting a class ready and having a nap this afternoon.

Why did I do this? ugh.
Repeat after me (with inflection) NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Now repeat it over and over again until it starts to feel natural....

Then USE IT lol.
MyAngels 03:34 PM 06-22-2013
Give up my day off? No way. No how.

This would have been my response: No thank you. [Click]
Starburst 04:32 PM 06-22-2013
Next time just say "I can't I'm busy" or "I have plans". Short and sweet. Sometimes when you explain plans you made people try to find ways to weasel into getting their way.

Examples:
"It's my husbands only day off this week and it's our son's birthday; so we planned on going to the movies"
-"Oh, Suzy loves movies"
"I have to get a mammogram"
-"You won't even know Bobby is there"
"I am going to visit my 97 year old grandmother at the hospice"
-"My kids love old people"
Unregistered 05:10 PM 06-22-2013
I got sucked in today as well. The mom asked me on Wednesday if I could watch kid so that she could go to a funeral. I live in a very small town so I knew the funeral was legit, so I agreed to watch kid.

I could kick myself for not pinning her down to specific times.

The funeral was at 11:00am. They show up at my door at 10:00am with mm saying that she agreed to help the family with something before the funeral. Then she mentions something about an appointment that she has at 1:30pm.

Mom shows up at 4:30pm with complaints about how long Catholic funerals last, how she had to go to the dinner after and how she hardly got to sit down all day.

I know how long a catholic fu real can be, but they are not 6 hours long. Also, this mom had time to stop at our village festival this afternoon and visit with MY Husband who was working there. Does she really think that he wasn't going to tell me that he saw her there.

All the while, I spent. The afternoon telling my kid that we would go back to the festival after they left.

Now, she is gone, but my son got tired of waiting and went to a friends house and my DH is tired from working all day and doesn't want to go do anything.

***! No more Saturdays for me!
cheerfuldom 05:33 PM 06-22-2013
you all are crazy. there is no way I would let a kid come "visit". there is only one kid I would ever babysit on Saturdays and that is the only kid that was truly like a member of the family and they pay me like three times what I would charge during the week. everyone else's requests are a no. always no.
Happy Hearts 05:37 PM 06-22-2013
I told her I will not be doing Saturdays any more. Now, I feel better.
Former Teacher 05:54 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
I told her I will not be doing Saturdays any more. Now, I feel better.
Happy Hearts- may I PM you?
Laurel 06:11 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Next time just say "I can't I'm busy" or "I have plans". Short and sweet. Sometimes when you explain plans you made people try to find ways to weasel into get their way.

Examples:
"It's my husbands only day off this week and we planned on going to the movies"
-"Oh, Suzy loves movies"
"I have to get a mammogram"
-"You won't even know Bobby is there"
"I am going to visit my 97 year old grandmother at the hospice"
-"My kids love old people"

Laurel
TheGoodLife 09:41 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I got sucked in today as well. The mom asked me on Wednesday if I could watch kid so that she could go to a funeral. I live in a very small town so I knew the funeral was legit, so I agreed to watch kid.

I could kick myself for not pinning her down to specific times.

The funeral was at 11:00am. They show up at my door at 10:00am with mm saying that she agreed to help the family with something before the funeral. Then she mentions something about an appointment that she has at 1:30pm.

Mom shows up at 4:30pm with complaints about how long Catholic funerals last, how she had to go to the dinner after and how she hardly got to sit down all day.

I know how long a catholic fu real can be, but they are not 6 hours long. Also, this mom had time to stop at our village festival this afternoon and visit with MY Husband who was working there. Does she really think that he wasn't going to tell me that he saw her there.

All the while, I spent. The afternoon telling my kid that we would go back to the festival after they left.

Now, she is gone, but my son got tired of waiting and went to a friends house and my DH is tired from working all day and doesn't want to go do anything.

***! No more Saturdays for me!
That stinks, i'm sorry she took advantage of you. I would've called her out on the whole fair thing. Did you at least charge a crazy high hourly rate?
Josiegirl 04:22 AM 06-23-2013
Triple time on weekends. babysitters get paid way more than we do per hour!
daycare 11:23 AM 06-23-2013
The mistake u made was giving an immediate answer other than No.
Don't feel the need to always give an answer right away. I used to make this mistake ALOT!

Instead if you feel you need to answer right away just say. Let me get back to you on that....

Then say sorry after I thought about it I don't have time to offer care on weekends, but thanks for thinking of me...
Reply Up