Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Angry, Should Have Went With My Gut
countrymom 11:18 AM 05-19-2011
I interviewed this gma and gpa who had custody of gs. I knew something was right, but I didn't think they would call back, so they did and started on monday. Well, I they aren't coming back and said that if she wanted to she can call cas (which I know they know nothing about the law here in ontario, gma comes from up north and the law is a bit different)
well I have a dcg who I have take off the bus, I walk to the end of the driveway and I pick her up, 30 sec. tops to do this (the bus stops infront of my house) I can see all the kids, I just don't allow them outside with me because of the traffic at this time (I live on a busy road with transports) well she doesn't want her grandson in the house while I pick the girl up (the grandson is 5 yrs old) she wants me to take all the kids with me to pick this girl up.
I'm sorry but to me this is unrealistic, her grandson wants to run around and I can't have that, because it is a saftey factor. Also, he is not allowed outside with out me, so that means that in the afternoon when all the older 5 and 6 yrs olds go outside to play she wants me to stay with him the whole time. He is not allowed to go to the library with my 13 yr old dd either. This was never discussed before, and she was aware that I take the kids off the bus. She then says that "we watch our grandson" umm are you saying that I dont' take care of the kids, so she says that because I pick up this girl on my property that its illegal. I knew she would be a pita and I didn't want to take them. I'm trying to find out the other provider that they went too, because I have a feeling something is up with these people. Our bus policy here is that an adult has to be present to get the 4 and 5 yr olds off the bus, so I wouldn't be able to get my own children off the bus unless I took her child too.
Meeko 11:51 AM 05-19-2011
Are you licensed? Here, you are not allowed to leave the children alone, so going to wait for the bus would be a violation.

You mentioned that you can SEE all the kids when you go to the bus. Could the bus driver maybe see YOU if you were standing in the window and let the girl off the bus? Just a thought.

As for the library trip with your 13 year old. Licensing would shut me down for that one. She may be very responsible, but YOU are being paid to tend the child. Your daughter is not an adult and if anything were to happen while in her care, I hate to think of the repercussions.
wdmmom 12:06 PM 05-19-2011
Consider meeting the bus outside or have the kids strapped in a stroller or tot-a-longs to keep them right next to you.

I don't think the gma is too far off on this one...even if you are only leaving the kids for 30 seconds, SOMETHING horrific can happen in that 30 seconds or less and your entire career would be jeopardized.

I think loading the kids up and meeting the bus by far outweighs leaving them unattended for any amount of time.
Crystal 12:08 PM 05-19-2011
Get ready for a licensing visit. You can be certain they will complian.

How many kids do you care for? Is it at all possible to walk them out with you? I know it's more trouble than it seems it's worth, but unless it is okay with your licensor, it may be an issue if you DON"T take them with you.

I agree with PP that I would not be allowed to send daycare kids to the library with my child. Here, an assistant can be 14, but they cannot EVER be left alone with the children and cannot take them off property.

Good luck, I hope they don't make a stink about it.
countrymom 02:11 PM 05-19-2011
we don't have need a liscence, there is nothing in ontario. The thing that erks me is that I can't leave this kid at all, I can't leave my house, not to take the trash out (which is outside my door) I can't get the paper in my driveway (because I have parents who run it over) I can't let him play anywhere in my house unless I am right there and we all know thats not humanly possible. Also, she is going to get a rude awaking when she realizes the bus rules out here. They are different than in the city. My dd babysits these kids who she walks and its not like she's walking 10 kids, its 3 kids who are 5 and 6yrs old and the library is really across the street (they built a new one which is great) what erks me is that the first thing out of her mouth is her threatening to call cas, she didn't even say we are with drawing him, nothing just plain rude accusations. I also told her I get kids off the bus, so I'm not sure what she thought I ment by that. So now she doesn't want to pay me tommorrow but next week, but I'm closed on monday, I would rather just forget the 60 dollars and not worry about it. Should I just forget about the money and the hassle. Dh said that its weird that she wants a reciept but she said she is on disability, we don't understand how she can claim that.
Crystal 02:31 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we don't have need a liscence, there is nothing in ontario. The thing that erks me is that I can't leave this kid at all, I can't leave my house, not to take the trash out (which is outside my door) I can't get the paper in my driveway (because I have parents who run it over) I can't let him play anywhere in my house unless I am right there and we all know thats not humanly possible. Also, she is going to get a rude awaking when she realizes the bus rules out here. They are different than in the city. My dd babysits these kids who she walks and its not like she's walking 10 kids, its 3 kids who are 5 and 6yrs old and the library is really across the street (they built a new one which is great) what erks me is that the first thing out of her mouth is her threatening to call cas, she didn't even say we are with drawing him, nothing just plain rude accusations. I also told her I get kids off the bus, so I'm not sure what she thought I ment by that. So now she doesn't want to pay me tommorrow but next week, but I'm closed on monday, I would rather just forget the 60 dollars and not worry about it. Should I just forget about the money and the hassle. Dh said that its weird that she wants a reciept but she said she is on disability, we don't understand how she can claim that.
Personally, I'd let her go. I'd never feel comfortable working with someone who, rather than work WITH me, would threaten to report me. She's trouble waiting to happen.
wdmmom 02:38 PM 05-19-2011
What does she suppose you do with him when you use the bathroom?! Take him along?!

I would say she's a lil overprotective. Especially when DCB won't be getting 1 on 1 attention in school.

If he's needing 1 on 1 care, the rate should signify it.
countrymom 02:46 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Personally, I'd let her go. I'd never feel comfortable working with someone who, rather than work WITH me, would threaten to report me. She's trouble waiting to happen.
your right chrystal. you know if she would have just told me that she wanted me to bring her gs with me, then fine, I wouldn't have a problem but she wanted to do nothing with it.
countrymom 02:49 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
What does she suppose you do with him when you use the bathroom?! Take him along?!

I would say she's a lil overprotective. Especially when DCB won't be getting 1 on 1 attention in school.

If he's needing 1 on 1 care, the rate should signify it.
she did say that he had some issues at school, and that he's on adhd meds (which seriously he didn't need because I think it was the grandparents who just didn't want to deal with him) I don't know, this women I think caused some problems with other providers because she said that he's been in daycare all his life, what grandparent would do that. I didn't understand the reasoning behind him coming to my house full time in the summer but yet they are both retired.
Symphony 03:16 PM 05-19-2011
I'm kind of with grandma on this one. I would never ever ever be ok with the library situation whether it was my dck or my dd. Maybe if it was my DD taking another one of my own children, but if they were my daycare kids, or if I paid someone for daycare and they wanted to do this.

I have a bus that comes and pulls up at the end of my driveway, I have two strategies. When it is yucky or really cold out, I stand holding the door open so I am still with the kids and the bus child runs up the drive. When it is nice, we all sit on the porch and sing songs/do fingerplays until the bus comes.

I think part of doing daycare is giving up some of the "luxuries" of life such as taking out the trash during the day. I am not allowed to take my trash out, get the mail, etc. I've had many days when I am doing the potty dance and I'm not sure I'll make it til nap or pick up. That's just how it goes though.

It really doesn't seem like this family is a good fit for your facility.

Oh and just out of curiosity...why does it bother you she would want a receipt?
sharlan 04:18 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Is she possibly being refunded for the cost of daycare?
sharlan 04:21 PM 05-19-2011
I too, would have issue with a 13 yo taking a group of children to the library alone. Not because she is not responsible, but because she would have little control over them.

As far as taking the trash out, walking to the end of the driveway (unless it's 1/4 mile long), I would have issue there.

You're already having problems, term her and expect a visit from CPS.
countrymom 05:50 PM 05-19-2011
like I said earlier if she had a problem yesterday she could have addressed it to me and we could have worked together to fix the problem, but to come and complain right away was wrong on her part. Unfortunatley the lady down the street does the same (she runs a day care) and if she thinks that finding one in the trailer park is going to be easy to find well good luck with that because the 2 ladies that run it in the park are something else.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:01 PM 05-19-2011
It does sound like she is very overprotective.

But I'm with the others on this one. My licensing rules state that I cant leave the kids alone at all, ever, even to take the garbage out or get the paper. I have a 5 month old puppy, and every time he has to pee, I have to take all the kids outside with me to take him to pee. My garbage I leave inside and take it out at the end of the day, and my garbage is just outside my door, 5 steps, and the paper waits. I walk to the bus stop with my older daughter twice a day, with all 6 kids in tow, rain, sun or snow.

Yes, its a pain, and yes I hate it. But its better than losing my license.

I would also have a serious issue with the library situation if I were the parent. I just wouldnt trust a 13 year old with my kids. I think they are too young, and I am paying an adult to watch my child, not a 13 year old. I think you are setting yourself up for trouble with that. It just leaves too much open for accusations.

As far as the outside issue. I cant take a child that isnt able to go outside. My licensing rules say I have to take the children outside at least twice a day for an hour each time. Unless the weather wont permit us to. If they cant be outside, then they cant be in my program.

But definately time to get rid of her if she isnt cooperating. Parents need to work with you, not against.
CdnMumof4 08:25 PM 05-19-2011
yikes. I'd term them immediately. That's definitely bad news waiting to happen, she'll wait for you to mess up and pounce, instantly.

as for your 13yr old .walking kids to the library..I too would be uncomfortable. BUT- my ds' bus stop isn't at the end of my driveway, it's 3 houses down and across the street. The parents have all given me permission to go, [it's during nap time] pick my son up from the bus , without their children- unless their child is awake at the time I have to go for the bus, then they come along. I don't have regulations either, as I am not licenced through the government or any childcare 'franchise' . I make it clear in the beginning that this is bus practice here, and if they say they don't want their kid left in the house while I'm literally feet away, then that's fine- that child will come with me while the others sleep. I have timed it so I'm basically running to the stop to get there for the bus to let them off, gone maybe 2mins. Same amount of time I can disappear in the bathroom mid-day.
mac60 03:31 AM 05-20-2011
I would meet her at the door with bags in hand....good riddence. She sounds like nothing but trouble. I would never allow someone to tell me what I can and can't do while working in my own home, and, if they ever threatened to call services, they would be leaving with child immediately. This business is hard enough to handle let alone dealing with psycho parents/grandparents.
countrymom 03:33 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by CdnMumof4:
yikes. I'd term them immediately. That's definitely bad news waiting to happen, she'll wait for you to mess up and pounce, instantly.

as for your 13yr old .walking kids to the library..I too would be uncomfortable. BUT- my ds' bus stop isn't at the end of my driveway, it's 3 houses down and across the street. The parents have all given me permission to go, [it's during nap time] pick my son up from the bus , without their children- unless their child is awake at the time I have to go for the bus, then they come along. I don't have regulations either, as I am not licenced through the government or any childcare 'franchise' . I make it clear in the beginning that this is bus practice here, and if they say they don't want their kid left in the house while I'm literally feet away, then that's fine- that child will come with me while the others sleep. I have timed it so I'm basically running to the stop to get there for the bus to let them off, gone maybe 2mins. Same amount of time I can disappear in the bathroom mid-day.
thats exactly what is happening here, all the parents are aware that I'm in my driveway and I too time it so I basically meet the bus, not one parent has ever complained because I'm on my property. I just couldn't take him because he wanted to take off in my backyard and he didn't know the rules yet about going outside because he was here for 2 days and I let everyone know that I pick kids up from the bus. I think there is more to her story than gma told me because she said that he likes to hit people, well gee if I would have known that than I would take him with me. I'm now angry that she doesn't want to pay me till next week which I think is odd, when I told her I get paid on fridays, also there are other things in her story that just don't make sense. The gpa he was more relaxed really nice guy, so you know who wore the pants in the family. I also don't watch anyone who works or has worked in cas, and she told me yesterday that she worked for them, but is on disability and is retired. I'm glad she is gone, because like I said she would have caused more of a headache for me.
SimpleMom 10:28 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
It does sound like she is very overprotective.

But I'm with the others on this one. My licensing rules state that I cant leave the kids alone at all, ever, even to take the garbage out or get the paper. I have a 5 month old puppy, and every time he has to pee, I have to take all the kids outside with me to take him to pee. My garbage I leave inside and take it out at the end of the day, and my garbage is just outside my door, 5 steps, and the paper waits. I walk to the bus stop with my older daughter twice a day, with all 6 kids in tow, rain, sun or snow.

Yes, its a pain, and yes I hate it. But its better than losing my license.

I would also have a serious issue with the library situation if I were the parent. I just wouldnt trust a 13 year old with my kids. I think they are too young, and I am paying an adult to watch my child, not a 13 year old. I think you are setting yourself up for trouble with that. It just leaves too much open for accusations.

As far as the outside issue. I cant take a child that isnt able to go outside. My licensing rules say I have to take the children outside at least twice a day for an hour each time. Unless the weather wont permit us to. If they cant be outside, then they cant be in my program.

But definately time to get rid of her if she isnt cooperating. Parents need to work with you, not against.
As far as the bus stop goes. I want to do this. It's no problem except for the bitter cold days. Too cold for the babies. How do you do this when it's really cold. Currently, my sa just goes to the bus stop at home on those days. Next year, I have my own and will need to go everyday to the stop. Just curious.
Tags:school-age, supervision
Reply Up