Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Eco-Healthy" Childcare? Anyone Participate?
SunflowerMama 12:18 PM 08-15-2010
So I decided to become endorsed as an eco-healthy childcare according to the 30 steps listed below...
http://www.oeconline.org/resources/p...7EHCCChecklist
www.ecohealthychildcare.org
http://www.oeconline.org/our-work/kidshealth/ehcc

We were already doing a lot of these things but I think this will help take it to the next level. I have already cleared out all my plastic dishes/sippies, etc. and replaced with Preserve Tableware, we don't have any battery operated toys, no recalled toys and nearly all our toys are natural, non-toxic wooden or cloth toys. I also cloth diaper for families and use organic food as much as possible and make all my own paint.

My main question is about the sanitizing solution licensing requires. For my home I clean using all Shaklee products (non-toxic, safe, etc.) but I do keep one squirt bottle with the little bit of bleach required for our diaper changing surface.

Do anyone know of any non-toxic cleaning product that licensing will approve to take the place of the bleach solution?
Michael 01:52 PM 08-15-2010
A couple of links that relate: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14969

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=bleach
jenh171 02:11 PM 08-15-2010
thank you for sharing that link & my hat's off to you for being so ecologically conscious. yeah!
kendallina 02:12 PM 08-15-2010
This is great--we do a lot of things to remain eco-friendly in our home, but after looking at the checklist, there is certainly more we can do. Thanks for sharing this great resource.
Abigail 10:00 PM 08-15-2010
Call your licensure and ask about a substitute for bleach. It's worth a try. I would love to know what they say because I'm not a fan of bleach myself, but we only use in for the diapering station after we use a soapy water mixture and wipe, then we use the bleach and wipe dry. Bleach isn't safe for pets either, obviously, and I have three curious little kitties I'm concerned about. Especially since they can open doors, drawers and cupboards and get into places you wouldn't expect.
SunflowerMama 04:34 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Call your licensure and ask about a substitute for bleach. It's worth a try. I would love to know what they say because I'm not a fan of bleach myself, but we only use in for the diapering station after we use a soapy water mixture and wipe, then we use the bleach and wipe dry. Bleach isn't safe for pets either, obviously, and I have three curious little kitties I'm concerned about. Especially since they can open doors, drawers and cupboards and get into places you wouldn't expect.
I have an email into my licensing rep but I read in our guidelines that it just has to be EPA approved to kill germs. Seventh Generation's cleaner does state that it is EPA approved so I'm hoping she approves that and I'll just use 7th Generation for my diaper station and Shaklee cleaning products for the rest of the house/laundry.

I'm also going to start cloth diapering those in diapers (I have my stash of cloth diapers from when I diapered my girls) so I asked licensing if there were any extra steps I need to take when dealing with cloth diapers.
MarinaVanessa 01:03 PM 08-16-2010
Thanks for listing the website. I saved the list and am really excited to see how well (or how bad lol) I am doing. I love the great tips and ideas that I got from the list. Now all I have to do is get my hunny on board .
GretasLittleFriends 01:12 PM 08-16-2010
I noticed the form gets mailed back to Oregon and you are from Texas. I'm wondering is this a national thing, or is this just intended for daycare providers in Oregon?

I took a look at the list and could answer yes to all but 5, and of those 5 there was one that I just was unsure of...
SunflowerMama 01:32 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I noticed the form gets mailed back to Oregon and you are from Texas. I'm wondering is this a national thing, or is this just intended for daycare providers in Oregon?

I took a look at the list and could answer yes to all but 5, and of those 5 there was one that I just was unsure of...
It's based in Orgeon but is a national program. In the menu on the left side of the page you can go to 'find an eco-healthy childcare' and it'll show you all the facilities in the country. It's about 1400 nationwide.

I just realized the original post didn't have the site with all the info. Here it is...
AnythingsPossible 12:59 PM 08-17-2010
According to the checklist you can use bleach when required by your state. So not using bleach for sanitizing is not a requirement. We can use an ammonia solution that our local cleaning supply sells but I am pretty sure it isn't a natural sanitizing agent either.
MarinaVanessa 02:32 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
According to the checklist you can use bleach when required by your state. So not using bleach for sanitizing is not a requirement. We can use an ammonia solution that our local cleaning supply sells but I am pretty sure it isn't a natural sanitizing agent either.
Yes, I read that too. I'm from CA and licensing likes for us to use a bleach/water solution so that was ok. I got a 20 out of 30 lol. You only need to get 26 out of 30 and some of them I didn't mark off because it was stuff I just havn't thought about which I'm sure I'd be ok with (like checking all of the toys that I have for lead, checking my art supplies etc.) I'm sure that I can do 6 more, I just need to get the rest of the household on board like not using aeresol sprays (the boys use hairspray, I don't lol).

Some things I wasn't sure why they are bad. Like particle board furniture? Is it bad somehow? Our entertainment center, cubbies, bookshelf and kitchen playset are made of particle board. Is it unsafe somehow? Also it says no use of candles (scented or unscented). I love candles and use them for decorating but never light them during DC hours. Another one was proffesionally installed wall to wall carpet? I have tile and carpet downstairs but our upstairs is wall to wall carpeting. If we install it ourselves does that mean it's ok to have wall to wall carpeting lol? I also use febreeze (I live with boys) and also don't use it during DC hours. I'm a home daycare so I'll have to check with them to see if it counts or not if I don't use them during DC hours. If it's allowed then I make the cut no problem.
sahm2three 07:36 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
So I decided to become endorsed as an eco-healthy childcare according to the 30 steps listed below...
http://www.oeconline.org/resources/p...7EHCCChecklist
www.ecohealthychildcare.org

We were already doing a lot of these things but I think this will help take it to the next level. I have already cleared out all my plastic dishes/sippies, etc. and replaced with Preserve Tableware, we don't have any battery operated toys, no recalled toys and nearly all our toys are natural, non-toxic wooden or cloth toys. I also cloth diaper for families and use organic food as much as possible and make all my own paint.

My main question is about the sanitizing solution licensing requires. For my home I clean using all Shaklee products (non-toxic, safe, etc.) but I do keep one squirt bottle with the little bit of bleach required for our diaper changing surface.

Do anyone know of any non-toxic cleaning product that licensing will approve to take the place of the bleach solution?
When my licensing inspection was going on, I told them that I do have bleach in my home and that if that was a problem with licensing then I understood but would not be using it. I gave them print outs of MSDS sheets on bleach and on the product that I use instead, Thieves Household cleaner. I printed out studies done by Brunswick Labs showing how Thieves not only kills bacteria, but is strong enough to kill black mold and also MRSA! I got the ok and got licensed. PM me if you want some more info!
MarinaVanessa 07:54 AM 08-18-2010
After checking out all of our toys I realized that I had a doll here made of plastic vinyl. I honestly didn't know about the PVC thing so I sent it home with DCB yesterday (his mom brought it for him to use at daycare) and plan on getting cloth dolls soon. That's another thing on the list I can check off.

I was also pleased to see that when I looked up the interior paint that we use to paint our house it qialified so I got to check off another box.

Right now the parent's supply bottles along with their other necesities but I decided I would use a certain kind here at daycare and so would provide them myself. If I do this and buy them before my baby comes I can write off all of the bottles I purchase as a business expense and still use them when the baby arrives lol. I think I'll wait until after my baby-shower since I've already added the BPA-free bottles to my registry ... who knows, maybe I won't have to buy any at all!

I can't believe how excited I am to be so close to marking off enough boxes! I think I said it has to be 26 out of 30 things on the list but it's actually 24 out of 30 so I'm almost there. Just need to find my mercury thermometer a home. I'm wondering why I even have it since I use digital ones now anyway. It's probably the pack-rat in me lol.

I make my own cleaners except for bleach to make the the bleach/water solution that I use (that's what's recommended by licensing) and Folex. It is Non-Toxic but I didn't read anything about it being biodegradeable so I'm kind of bummed.
SunflowerMama 10:30 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
After checking out all of our toys I realized that I had a doll here made of plastic vinyl. I honestly didn't know about the PVC thing so I sent it home with DCB yesterday (his mom brought it for him to use at daycare) and plan on getting cloth dolls soon. That's another thing on the list I can check off.

I was also pleased to see that when I looked up the interior paint that we use to paint our house it qialified so I got to check off another box.

Right now the parent's supply bottles along with their other necesities but I decided I would use a certain kind here at daycare and so would provide them myself. If I do this and buy them before my baby comes I can write off all of the bottles I purchase as a business expense and still use them when the baby arrives lol. I think I'll wait until after my baby-shower since I've already added the BPA-free bottles to my registry ... who knows, maybe I won't have to buy any at all!

I can't believe how excited I am to be so close to marking off enough boxes! I think I said it has to be 26 out of 30 things on the list but it's actually 24 out of 30 so I'm almost there. Just need to find my mercury thermometer a home. I'm wondering why I even have it since I use digital ones now anyway. It's probably the pack-rat in me lol.

I make my own cleaners except for bleach to make the the bleach/water solution that I use (that's what's recommended by licensing) and Folex. It is Non-Toxic but I didn't read anything about it being biodegradeable so I'm kind of bummed.
That's so great you're almost done checking everything off!! Don't you feel so much better?!? I spent all weekend working on the checklist and made sure the only household cleaners I had anywhere were my Shaklee products and my 7th Generation for the diaper station (my licensing rep said it was ok), I bagged up all the plastic plates, sippies, etc. I had and replaced with the Preserve tableware and just bpa plastic free water bottles for all the kids. I double checked all our art supplies/paint and toys and actually got rid of the few battery-operated ones we had. I even broke out my stash of cloth diapers from when I diapered my girls and emailed all the parents to offer that as a service if they were interested. I feel so much better for doing this and I mailed my checklist off Monday so I can't wait to hear back and get my endorsement certificate.
MarinaVanessa 12:04 PM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
That's so great you're almost done checking everything off!! Don't you feel so much better?!? ..... I feel so much better for doing this and I mailed my checklist off Monday so I can't wait to hear back and get my endorsement certificate.
Yes it feels great, and most of the things on the checklist we were already doing. We don't use regular batteries, we use rechargeable ones for the few toys that do need them but I'm not willing to give them up since they are multi-language toys but I do store the rechargeable batteries in a locked drawer. I already have enough boxes to check of to qualify for the certificate but before I start marking some of No's on things like candles and aeresol cans etc. that aren't used unless the DC kids aren't here I wanted to wait and see what they said. I already made a draft to be able to add this to my handbook under the "About Us" section right after "Licensed Care". It's pretty much the checklist of everything that I can a mark a yes on and figured this would qualify under the last thing on the list about educating our families since I also added tips and some info about BPA, PVC etc.

I requested a mailed check-list since the print was so small when I printed it off of the web site so I havn't gotten it but by the time I get it I hope to have everything done and answered so all I have to do is fill it out and send it in. How exciting for you!! Let us know when you get your certificate! And thanks so much for sharing!
Lilbutterflie 03:51 PM 08-18-2010
I'm going to try to do the checklist too! Thanks!!
I noticed #1 is required...pesticides & pest prevention. What do y'all do for pesticides and weed control?
SunflowerMama 07:32 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I noticed #1 is required...pesticides & pest prevention. What do y'all do for pesticides and weed control?
Our homeshield provides non-toxic, child safe pesticides. We just asked when we first talked to them about spraying.
MarinaVanessa 10:09 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I use prevention for pests with borax. I regularly keep a barrier of it around our home and it's strange because most bugs won't cross it, especially ants. I put some in the bottom of our trashcan and again inside our trash can liners. It keeps them lightly scented and the awsome thing is if you have ant problems they tend to not cross the barrier but carry it back to the nest. If it's ingested by the ants (or other bugs) it kills them but it's safe for kids, pets and plants. Most of the time it's even fed to the queen so it dies, killing the entire colony. I put food away and wipe counters and the stove daily and make sure that fruits and perishables don't get left out so we don't have flies, mice or gnats. We do get an occasional fly, gnat, mosquito etc. but my hunny has an electronic bug zapper that looks like a tennis racket that he LOVES to use . Keeping the corners of my walls and ceiling clean from webs and not having tons of knick-knacks and stuff laying around keeps the spiders away.

For weed control, I do it the good old-fashioned way ... I pull them. Of course I don't have a big yard so it's easier for me. We also use lady bugs in our veggie garden which keeps other little bugs away and having bird feeders in our back yard and front porch keeps bugs away too since birds hang out a lot there.
www.nit-nurse.com/ 04:47 AM 08-20-2010
If you are interested in eco friendly products then you might like to learn more about natural nit and head lice solutions using eucalyptus globulus and olea europaea two natural oils. This is a far safer and eco friendly treatment for nits and head lice.

To help with any outbreaks there is a free resource at http://www.nit-nurse.com/nit_lice_life_cycle.html

MarinaVanessa 08:56 AM 08-20-2010
I got my Endorsement Form yesterday and I was a little surprised to see that there are only 25 things on that checklist and not 30 like on the website. It makes it a lot easier for me to mark them off as Yes's. Things like testing for radon are listed on the mailed form.

Anyway, I filled it out and put it in my outgoing mail. Any word yet on getting your certificate? I was pleasantly surprised that I got my form in the mail just 2 days after requesting it!
SunflowerMama 11:11 AM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I got my Endorsement Form yesterday and I was a little surprised to see that there are only 25 things on that checklist and not 30 like on the website. It makes it a lot easier for me to mark them off as Yes's. Things like testing for radon are listed on the mailed form.

Anyway, I filled it out and put it in my outgoing mail. Any word yet on getting your certificate? I was pleasantly surprised that I got my form in the mail just 2 days after requesting it!
I got my endorsement form (I requested it before I noticed you could just print it and fill it out) yesterday too! Love the envelope. I haven't heard anything back from them yet on my certificate. I'm sure it won't be long and I did also notice that the list they mailed was 25 and not 30. Definitely made it easier to complete.
MarinaVanessa 09:54 AM 09-02-2010
Just wondering if anyone else tried this and sent out their forms? I sent out my form almost 3 weeks ago and havn't heard anything yet. I'm just wondering how long to wait. I mentioned emailing them with some questions but I never heard a response back .
3girls 08:36 AM 05-03-2012
I know this is a super old thread, but did you ever get your certificate MarinaVanessa?
Ariana 09:29 AM 05-03-2012
I'm curious too!! I looked at the checklist and am compliant 100%
3girls 10:40 AM 05-03-2012
lol me too, I ordered the materials to get certified
WImom 11:18 AM 05-03-2012
I did this back in Oct. of 2011 and got my certificate. It is good for one year.
bice99 11:27 AM 05-03-2012
Yes - I'm Eco-friendly certified!
SilverSabre25 12:53 PM 05-03-2012
I would love to get this certification. Will be working on it...
MarinaVanessa 04:18 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
I know this is a super old thread, but did you ever get your certificate MarinaVanessa?
Sorry, I just saw this thread. Actually Michael PM'ed me to let me know that I was being summoned lol.

And yes I did, it was pretty easy as I already complied with most of what was on the list. I can't really say that it's been something that has pushed a client to choose me but I know that most have shown some interest in knowing that I do my best to be eco-healthy.
Tags:eco-friendly, sanitize
Reply Up