Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constant Crier
SuperNinjaMommy 08:11 AM 10-12-2011
I have an 11 week old baby who I've had now since 6 weeks and she has screamed pretty much all day since she started. Please note that I said screamed not cry because it is this extremely high pitched screach that absolutely demands attention. Even my mom (who has ran a daycare for over 25 years) can't stay on the phone with me while she's in her moods but I'm not sure what else I can do for her. it's pretty consistent that she'll be perfectly happy and content for about 5-10 minutes and then suddenly she'll just burst out into her scream. This lasts all day long. She even cries during her naps while she's still sleeping. Her parents are exhausted but have tried formula switches, mylicon drops, CIO and even constant holding. Normally I'm a super patient person and repeat the "this is just a phase" line in my head millions of times when one of the babies go through something but this is getting to be too much. It's not fair to the other babies who also need attention and have to hear this all day. Does anyone have any tips of had babies that have gone through this and found a good solution (or even coping method for sanity lol) I love this baby and the parents are great so terming is not an option.
Meyou 08:14 AM 10-12-2011
Have they had her checked for reflux?
SuperNinjaMommy 08:18 AM 10-12-2011
no, i've thought maybe thats what it was and even mentioned it to them but they haven't had her tested yet. Another one of my babies has reflux and his symptoms are obvious whereas she just cries.
Meyou 08:25 AM 10-12-2011
Reflux is one of those ones that can be different in every child.

Some common symptoms of uncomplicated reflux can include:

constant or sudden crying or colic like symptoms

irritability and pain

poor sleep habits typically with frequent waking

arching their necks and back during or after eating

spitting-up or vomiting

wet burp or frequent hiccups

frequent ear infections or sinus congestion

Your child does not need to exhibit all of these symptoms, in fact, only having one of the above could mean they have reflux. It does not; however, mean they need treatment. If your child is showing one or more of the above symptoms but is otherwise happy and healthy then some simple lifestyle modifications will likely make life better until they outgrow it.
SuperNinjaMommy 08:29 AM 10-12-2011
ok so she for sure has 5 of those.... you girls might have just saved a few adults from nervous breakdowns
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 10-12-2011
Fists clenched?

Hard Belly?

Stiffening?
SuperNinjaMommy 08:33 AM 10-12-2011
all three!
cheerfuldom 08:43 AM 10-12-2011
check silent reflux too.

she needs to see a doctor asap. all that crying is not okay for her, the other kids or her caregivers.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 10-12-2011
I agree with PP... Time for visit with Ped to rule out reflux or other upper digestive disorders (hiatal hernia, etc.).
cheerfuldom 08:58 AM 10-12-2011
I say silent reflux because my own crier had this bad (my middle daughter). other criers here just had sensitive personalities and needed time to adjust BUT if she is not at all happier with her parents then i would suspect a health issue
nannyde 09:00 AM 10-12-2011
Tell me exactly how you feed her, how much, how often and the technique you use. Also, is she fed before she comes... and what level of puker is she?
SuperNinjaMommy 09:07 AM 10-12-2011
She eats approximately 4 oz every 3 hours but it's not all 4 at a time. It's usually 2 oz then she stops eating for 30 min- 1 hr and then finishes the bottle. She does eat between 6 and 7 before she comes but usually only 2 oz. She is not a puker, almost never. She's on the fussiness and gas formula. I always burp her in between each ounce and hold her at an elevated incline while feeding her. She uses the dr. brown colic bottle too. She does this hiccup thing while she eats and sometimes after the hiccup she breaks out screaming and then won't take the bottle for a bit. She sleeps best when swaddled but that only works once a day at around 4:30 and she leaves at 5.
meganlavonnesmommy 09:19 AM 10-12-2011
My son had horrible reflux, but never vomited or spit up. Reflux doesnt necessarily mean they spit up. Like Meyou said, it effects different children differently.
In my son he was crabby, screaming all the time. Most babies eat, then sleep, he would eat, then scream for hours after. He would clench his fists, scream, and arch his back. He also had frequent ear infections as he got older, and was a horrible sleeper.

It's worth a dr visit to rule it out. It may be colic, but worth checking just to see. The reflux meds can help.
Cat Herder 09:24 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by SuperNinjaMommy:
She eats approximately 4 oz every 3 hours but it's not all 4 at a time. It's usually 2 oz then she stops eating for 30 min- 1 hr and then finishes the bottle. She does eat between 6 and 7 before she comes but usually only 2 oz. She is not a puker, almost never. She's on the fussiness and gas formula. I always burp her in between each ounce and hold her at an elevated incline while feeding her. She uses the dr. brown colic bottle too. She does this hiccup thing while she eats and sometimes after the hiccup she breaks out screaming and then won't take the bottle for a bit. She sleeps best when swaddled but that only works once a day at around 4:30 and she leaves at 5.
And she is not on the breast at home?
SuperNinjaMommy 09:29 AM 10-12-2011
no she is strictly formula/bottle fed
Tags:colic, hiatal hernia, lactose intolerant, reflux
Reply Up