Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Allergies?
MsKara 05:48 AM 08-18-2010
I run into this CONSTANTLY. Mom's claiming their kids have allergies when they are coughing or having a runny nose, but then we all end up getting sick. I hate it.

Currently I have a 4 yr old girl who has a terrible sounding wet cough. No other symptoms. Her mom says it is allergies. What should I do?
GretasLittleFriends 05:59 AM 08-18-2010
Tell her you are uncomfortable with the sound of the cough and request a doctors note stating its allergies and not something contagious.
emosks 06:03 AM 08-18-2010
We stick to our contract.

Originally Posted by :
ILLNESS & MEDICINE

As a parent, you realize that your sick child is most comfortable at home with familiar surroundings with mom or dad. However, if they have a mild cold, or temps of less than 101*, we will give them the best care we possibly can.

We will ask that you not bring your child if he or she has a contagious disease, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, or fever (over 101*) because it is not fair to the other children since the virus may spread. A fever is usually a sign of infection. Your child should not return to daycare until his or her temperature has remained normal for 24 hours without medication. Your child should not attend if they have vomited or had diarrhea in the last 24 hours. Rule of thumb is if your child is ill with something that can spread to the other children, please keep your child home.

If your child becomes ill during the day, you will be contacted, and if appropriate, expected to pick up your child as soon as possible within the hour. Please make sure your child has been fever- and symptom-free from any illness for 24 hours before returning to daycare.

Any medications should be given directly to us with clear directions for administration but preferably given to the child either before or after daycare by the parent. We need to know of any medications that have been given prior to coming to daycare as well to prevent any chance of accidental overdose of medication. Should medication (OTC or Rx) be required to be given by us there is a form required by the state to be signed and in your file.

MsKara 06:05 AM 08-18-2010
Thanks Emosks, but I don't see anything in your contract regarding coughs and whether or not it addresses allergies vs. colds. etc.
Aya477 06:29 AM 08-18-2010
I certainly say you should make a judgement call in suspecting contagious illnesses. My son had what his Ped labeled as allergies because he exhibited the typical symptoms--runny nose, cough, occasionally his eyes would get red and swollen. We did take him to the doctor frequently at first being first time parents, and each time the doc would dx allergies. Eventually, his allergy symptoms would manifest into an ear infection because he did not have well developed eustacian tubes (most infants and toddlers cannot handle seasonal allergies because of this factor) so the innocent nasal drainage would clog up in his ears and then he would truly get sick. Point of the story is, the Ped told us that unless he had a fever greater than 101, he was only having allergy symptoms and that it wasn't necessary to bring him in. I also have brought him to the doc to be seen for a wet cough--several docs have said it is the drainage getting stuck in his throat and to get him to do a big cough to clear it. Try it on your dcg to see if that clears her cough.
Crystal 07:27 AM 08-18-2010
I don't exclude for coughs and runny noses, UNLESS their is a fever as well. However, if I were concerned that it were something more than a run of the mill cold, I would tell the parent that without a physician's diagnosis, the child cannot attend. I'd also expect a note from the doctor.

Each fall, I send out a parent memo, reminding them of our sick policies. One of the things I emphasize is that sending a sick child to daycare results in all of the children getting sick and can become a vicious cycle of the children getting sick over and over again, resulting in MORE time off of work to care for their child than if they keep them home the 1st time they are sick. I remind them that their child must be fever free, without medication for 24 hours prior to returning to care and I also remind them of our termination policy if they knowingly medicate and send the child to care.

When Mom says "it's allergies" and you are in disagreement, simply state " It is quite possible that you are right, however, I cannot take the risk of it being something contagious and exposing the other children to it. I will need you to either keep your child home until all symptoms have subsided OR I will need a note from your doctor stating that she is non-contagious and may attend care."
Crystal 07:31 AM 08-18-2010
here is my health policy:

Health and Safety Policies:

• All children must have a current listing of all immunizations on file at the child care home. Copies of immunizations must be provided within 10 days of enrollment into child care.
• For children requiring further doses of Immunizations (infants, children behind on immunizations) it is the parents’ responsibility to bring updated each time the child receives a vaccination. Please be sure to bring these within 2 days of vaccination.
• If a child is injured while in care, depending upon the nature of the injury, the parent will be notified immediately. All injuries will be documented and kept in the child’s file.
• We will care for mildly ill children (mild colds, non-infectious illnesses) but there are times that we cannot care for ill children. If a child has any of the following symptoms, please do not bring him/her to child care:

1. Fever of 100.5 degrees or higher
2. Diarrhea or vomiting more than once in 24 hours
3. Cough with sore throat or fever
4. Any infectious diseases: chicken pox, strep throat, pink eye, head lice, scabies, impetigo, ringworm, etc.
5. Rash: please discuss with provider before excluding child from care, some rashes do not require exclusion
6. Any unusual symptoms that may indicate illness

A morning health check is conducted upon arrival each morning.

If your child has any of the above symptoms, he/she will not be admitted to child care. If you are unsure of any other illnesses or about any symptoms your child is experiencing, please call provider in advance to see if your child can attend.
• Please do not give your child Motrin/Tylenol prior to childcare if they have a fever. While these medications do provide relief for the child and temporarily cause the fever to subside, the illness is still contagious.
• If a child develops any of the above symptoms while in care, parent will be notified and will be required to pick the child up from care within 30 minutes.
• Any child excluded from care due to fever, vomiting or diarrhea can return to child care when all symptoms have been gone for a minimum of 24 hours without medication, including Tylenol/Motrin.
• It is the parent’s responsibility to inform provider of any illness the child has had or has been exposed to within the last 48 hours so that provider can monitor all children in care for symptoms that would require exclusion.
• If your child requires medical attention due to illness, a note from the doctor will be required for child to return to daycare.
• Provider will administer medications to children who are able to attend care with mild symptoms, or after the start of antibiotic treatment when needed. Types of medications I will administer are: cold/cough medicine, Tylenol/Motrin, antibiotics, nebulizer/inhaler treatments for asthma and teething relief medication. It is required that the parent provide a note giving permission to administer medication. The note shall include the child’s name, date, type of medication, reason for medication, how often to administer medication and the time last dose was given to child by parent prior to arrival. (please see attached sample at end of booklet for sample form)
emosks 07:44 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by MsKara:
Thanks Emosks, but I don't see anything in your contract regarding coughs and whether or not it addresses allergies vs. colds. etc.
We will ask that you not bring your child if he or she has a contagious disease, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, or fever (over 101*) because it is not fair to the other children since the virus may spread. A fever is usually a sign of infection. Your child should not return to daycare until his or her temperature has remained normal for 24 hours without medication. Your child should not attend if they have vomited or had diarrhea in the last 24 hours. Rule of thumb is if your child is ill with something that can spread to the other children, please keep your child home.

We have no issues with parents bringing kids claiming they are allergies. We do however have kids WITH allergies that we allow to stay because we have documentation by the pediatrician(s).
momma2girls 07:55 AM 08-18-2010
I even added, cannot return the following day, after being sent home from here. I have had numerous times where families say they didn't vomit or have diarrhea, fever at all after leaving your house yesterday, so we can come back at 10:00, correct? THey come back with their child and within an hr. symptoms show up, so they are called again to pick up!! So this yr. I added they couldn't return the following day at all. This has worked well so far.
MsKara 07:57 AM 08-18-2010
Thanks everyone. I finally made the call and had her sent home. Good thing too because she started complaining of being extremely tired and having a sore throat while waiting for her mom. Mom is taking her to the doctor and I have explained that she cannot return until she has a doctor's note stating it is just allergies or something else noncontagious. Even with an illness policy, it's always a tough call!
Tags:allergies, contagious, health policy, sick policy
Reply Up