Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter For Daycare Parents... Assistance Please
AllDeezBabies 04:02 PM 10-24-2012
Hello there, guys.

I need some assistance with drafting a letter to my parents to reiterate, restate and possibly ammend some policies I have in place. Pretty pretty pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeeee..... I can come across as very brash, crass and mean even when I don't mean it. My intentions are good, but my delivery is harsh. I'm still working on me.

Outside food and toys: I have advised parents to not bring outside toys and food. I provide toys for entertainment so there is no need to bring any toys from home. I also don't want children to bring toys and they become broken or worse, they are a choking/danger/hazard to smaller children. For outside food, it could be a choking hazard for my children and/or candy, which I don't provide. I also don't want the headache of having a child snack on something I can't offer to other children. That is totally unfair.

I sent out a letter regarding homework help a few weeks ago and I was told I came across a little harsh. At first I was like "Oh well, get over it" but I don't want to be like that with my parents. What say you guys.

Homework Help: As a COURTESY, I set aside an hour and a half for my school aged children to complete their homework. I will assist, answer any questions, check for any errors and make sure they read a book every day to assist with reading requirements. As parents, it is your responsibility to ensure your child has completed their work and that it is correct. I am a licensed daycare provider, not an educator . Parents of school aged children will receive a sheet to sign off on regarding this in the near future.
littlemissmuffet 05:15 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by JayChanel:
Hello there, guys.

I need some assistance with drafting a letter to my parents to reiterate, restate and possibly ammend some policies I have in place. Pretty pretty pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeeee..... I can come across as very brash, crass and mean even when I don't mean it. My intentions are good, but my delivery is harsh. I'm still working on me.

Outside food and toys: I have advised parents to not bring outside toys and food. I provide toys for entertainment so there is no need to bring any toys from home. I also don't want children to bring toys and they become broken or worse, they are a choking/danger/hazard to smaller children. For outside food, it could be a choking hazard for my children and/or candy, which I don't provide. I also don't want the headache of having a child snack on something I can't offer to other children. That is totally unfair.

I sent out a letter regarding homework help a few weeks ago and I was told I came across a little harsh. At first I was like "Oh well, get over it" but I don't want to be like that with my parents. What say you guys.

Homework Help: As a COURTESY, I set aside an hour and a half for my school aged children to complete their homework. I will assist, answer any questions, check for any errors and make sure they read a book every day to assist with reading requirements. As parents, it is your responsibility to ensure your child has completed their work and that it is correct. I am a licensed daycare provider, not an educator . Parents of school aged children will receive a sheet to sign off on regarding this in the near future.
Is this what you wrote that someone said was HARSH?? This person never wants to meet me, I promise. I am much more "mean" than this when outlining my policies to those who don't understand plain english and when explaining the difference between a parent's responsibilities and my own (which in my opinion I should never even have to explain).
I think what you provide in regards to homework help is way above and beyond what most providers here do or would provide... so I don't think you are being harsh with your policy OR your delivery at all.
daycare 05:23 PM 10-24-2012
Hello there, guys.

I think the only part that I would have left out was that you are not an educator, you are a DCP.

Are you trying to write a letter about your toy/food policy??
AllDeezBabies 05:31 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Is this what you wrote that someone said was HARSH?? This person never wants to meet me, I promise. I am much more "mean" than this when outlining my policies to those who don't understand plain english and when explaining the difference between a parent's responsibilities and my own (which in my opinion I should never even have to explain).
I think what you provide in regards to homework help is way above and beyond what most providers here do or would provide... so I don't think you are being harsh with your policy OR your delivery at all.
It was said I came off very snobby but all was understood when we met face to face. Even in my college days my professor said I came across very matter of factly. . You make me feel so much better about what I wrote now.

This is where most of my printer ink is going; providing a difference between my roles and the parents roles.
sharlan 05:32 PM 10-24-2012
I don't find your wording harsh at all. It is simple and to the point.
AllDeezBabies 05:33 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think the only part that I would have left out was that you are not an educator, you are a DCP.

Are you trying to write a letter about your toy/food policy??
I get what you're saying but how could I put this in a way that doesn't say it? I mean I have told them the difference but it seems this is the only way they will get it. I don't wanna me Ms. Meany but these set of parents can really take me there.

I'm trying to write a letter to reiterate food/toy/sick policy.
AllDeezBabies 05:34 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't find your wording harsh at all. It is simple and to the point.
Why thank you. My husband said that their reaction was the "truth hurts" theory. I do a lot for my day care babies, I really love them but the parents expect too much from me.
WDW 05:34 PM 10-24-2012
Hello there, guys.

First of all, none of that is mean!!! The fact that you do anything to help with homework is AWESOME! That is pretty unheard of around here! I don't do s/a kids but I can't say that I ever would have thought to do that.. so kudos to you! If parents complained even once... I would say that was the end of homework help. People don't know what they have!!

As far as the outside food and toys... I think mine says something like I would prefer that children not bring outside toys. I reserve the right to remove any toys that I feel could be dangerous, and any toys that are causing fighting. I am not responsible for lost or broken toys in any way.

I do not allow any outside food, other than birthday/holiday treats, and they have to bring enough for everyone. The only exceptions to my policy would be baby food/formula and if I ever had a child with food allergies.... my reasons are that it isn't fair to the other children if one child brings in something from home... I can't duplicate that. I also can't control the safety of the food if I have a child with food allergies... and I have even gone so far as to not allow outside cups. Too many spills... we keep ALL food and drink in the kitchen. I have a child sized table and they have access to their cups there all day. Stick to your guns!

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Yes.. this!
daycaremom76 05:47 PM 10-24-2012
I have the same issue with bringing food from home. I have a dcm that I have gotten friendly with and has for the past month or so started bring her daughter with a sippy cup of milk each morning. I supply the kids with one of my sippy cups and they have access to it all day if needed. I have said in the past to leave it at home cause honestly I don't like doing my own dishes and don't feel like having to keep track of someone else's plus I forget it's here so it gets suck in a box and a week later we find it when it has sour milk in it or they forget to take it home and 2 and 3 cups pile up in her cubby and I feel obligated to wash it.............and basically bottom line is it's a rule and it annoys me that she breaks it! Now I have said stuff in the past and even told her one day that she couldn't leave it. When the mom took it the daughter freaked out and started fussing, so the Mom gave me this sad look and said can't she just keep it this one time? Since I was dealing with another issue I said sure fine whatever. Once the Mom left the cup got put on the table and left the rest of the day. The next day she brought another cup and the Mom said "She won't let me leave it at home" now why do I have to be the bad guy??? What I find funny is that all this week her dad has been bringing her with no cup and no food and she hasn't fussed once, comes in a good mood and everything! It's just the Mom not being able to say no, and it drives me crazy cause I feel that since we have gotten friendly that she thinks it's ok to take advantage of me.
AllDeezBabies 06:16 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by WDW:
First of all, none of that is mean!!! The fact that you do anything to help with homework is AWESOME! That is pretty unheard of around here! I don't do s/a kids but I can't say that I ever would have thought to do that.. so kudos to you! If parents complained even once... I would say that was the end of homework help. People don't know what they have!!

As far as the outside food and toys... I think mine says something like I would prefer that children not bring outside toys. I reserve the right to remove any toys that I feel could be dangerous, and any toys that are causing fighting. I am not responsible for lost or broken toys in any way.

I do not allow any outside food, other than birthday/holiday treats, and they have to bring enough for everyone. The only exceptions to my policy would be baby food/formula and if I ever had a child with food allergies.... my reasons are that it isn't fair to the other children if one child brings in something from home... I can't duplicate that. I also can't control the safety of the food if I have a child with food allergies... and I have even gone so far as to not allow outside cups. Too many spills... we keep ALL food and drink in the kitchen. I have a child sized table and they have access to their cups there all day. Stick to your guns!

Yes.. this!
Now that I see this I am inclined to believe the parents are angry that I had to put it in writing. As my mother told me, no one likes to be called out on their bullcrap. In the future, I'm just gonna do what I have to do and if it means addressing my parents in writing, hey that's what it means. But I will not be taken advantage of especially when they have policy that was explained before care started.
AllDeezBabies 06:21 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycaremom76:
I have the same issue with bringing food from home. I have a dcm that I have gotten friendly with and has for the past month or so started bring her daughter with a sippy cup of milk each morning. I supply the kids with one of my sippy cups and they have access to it all day if needed. I have said in the past to leave it at home cause honestly I don't like doing my own dishes and don't feel like having to keep track of someone else's plus I forget it's here so it gets suck in a box and a week later we find it when it has sour milk in it or they forget to take it home and 2 and 3 cups pile up in her cubby and I feel obligated to wash it.............and basically bottom line is it's a rule and it annoys me that she breaks it! Now I have said stuff in the past and even told her one day that she couldn't leave it. When the mom took it the daughter freaked out and started fussing, so the Mom gave me this sad look and said can't she just keep it this one time? Since I was dealing with another issue I said sure fine whatever. Once the Mom left the cup got put on the table and left the rest of the day. The next day she brought another cup and the Mom said "She won't let me leave it at home" now why do I have to be the bad guy??? What I find funny is that all this week her dad has been bringing her with no cup and no food and she hasn't fussed once, comes in a good mood and everything! It's just the Mom not being able to say no, and it drives me crazy cause I feel that since we have gotten friendly that she thinks it's ok to take advantage of me.
One of my parents used to do this and I used to take DCB at the door and walk away. I explained to her that we have a cup here and that's that. If he cried, guess what, he cried. I run my show a completely different way than how they run at home. I can't keep up with their house rules and my policy. They can do as they please at home but once they walk into my threshold, my show. I'm El Capitano and I shall keep it that way
littlemissmuffet 08:00 PM 10-24-2012
Now that I see this I am inclined to believe the parents are angry that I had to put it in writing. As my mother told me, no one likes to be called out on their bullcrap. In the future, I'm just gonna do what I have to do and if it means addressing my parents in writing, hey that's what it means. But I will not be taken advantage of especially when they have policy that was explained before care started.
I like you
daycaremom76 05:23 AM 10-25-2012
Ok so I frantically looked for this post again............as I mentioned all week her Dad has been dropping her off w/no cup no food. And today he showed up with both!!! When he came to the door I took advise from another poster and said, "I have asked in the past that food/drink not be brought, the other kids get jealous and want something too, please do not bring it in the future" He said that he didn't know and that when he asked DCM she said it was ok to bring it!!! I told him, "No, I have told her in the past it isn't ok either" Not to mention he got here at 7:58 and they know we start circle time and our day at 8am. Because this was the father's first time doing this I'm not going to send a note home but if it happens again I am. I still started circle time at 8am and didn't wait for her, she joined in right as we started and hasn't paid any attention to me throwing away her breakfast or putting her cup in her cubby!
Reply Up