Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Rate for Summer
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:12 PM 05-10-2010
How much would you charge per week for school agers (age 6) for full time (all day, M-F) during the summer? Normally they're only here before & after school. Preschoolers are $95/week for full time, but since school agers are older, and usually a little less trouble lol, I would figure a little less than that. But how much less?
emosks 05:53 PM 05-10-2010
Our normal rate is $40 a day and I think we would charge $30 for school aged kids for summertime. One of our summertime kids is getting charged $35 a day but he's PT and his days change weekly so we have to treat him like a FT kid.
momofboys 08:27 PM 05-10-2010
Personally, I would charge the same. I've come to find out that school-agers, although older & able to be a little more independent, are not as easy as you might think. In fact, my school agers cause more problems & headaches for me than my toddlers.
melskids 03:24 AM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Personally, I would charge the same. I've come to find out that school-agers, although older & able to be a little more independent, are not as easy as you might think. In fact, my school agers cause more problems & headaches for me than my toddlers.
I SECOND THAT!!!!

i love SA, but man, they are work!! they come with bigger attitudes, they rough house , dont nap, eat more, and their activities/craft supplies, etc. tend to cost more. i charge the same for all my age groups.
mac60 03:42 AM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I third that, and they eat a lot more too, they are bored more.
Pammie 04:25 AM 05-11-2010
I agree. I charge the same for school-age summertime care as I do the younger kids. My craft and food budget is pushed to the max with the schoolagers in the summertime - I'd lose money if I charged less
JJPlaycare 06:29 AM 05-11-2010
I charge the same across the board! What I charge for a 6 week old is the same as what I charge for a 2 year old or a 6 year old! They are all work, just in a different way and they all cost money!! : )
boysx5 06:40 AM 05-11-2010
I think the rate should be higher for school age children they are more work than all the toddlers put together I have one for the summer since its a sibling of one of my toddlers but I don't really like taking in school age just doing this for the family.
missnikki 07:04 AM 05-11-2010
I charge $140 per week for 5 days, or $36 daily. (I'm at a center, not a home) It includes weekly field trips, except for 3 of them which we're asking for a little help on because they are pricey.
Vesta 12:57 PM 05-11-2010
Same price and agree with PP that it should probably be more.
School agers eat more and don't really allow for much of a break during the day. Even if they are having quiet time, well, I have to stay on top of mine to remind them that my idea of quiet time and their idea of quiet time are two different things. I actually do summer bridge work during nap time partially to keep them quiet.
If you have a very mixed age group you also are juggling or adapting your activities to meet the needs and interests of everyone, so that's more work also.
I always seem to have more potty issues with school agers (not sure why), and it takes me awhile to break them of their massive paper towel use habits.
The attitude and rudeness can also be overwhelming and can take awhile to break their nasty little habits, especially if they come into your home thinking they have some sort of Richard Pryor "The Toy" type situation going on.
One time I had an 8 year old start his summer off by asking "So how does this work, I tell you to do something and you do it"?
Once I quit laughing we had a nice little talk about how he was a guest in my home and that we would get along just fine as long as he remembered whose house he was in and that all good things that happen here start and end with me.
Eh, it's always a mixed bag though.
Charge them the same.
Tags:rates, school-age
Reply Up