Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants and Teen Parents
Unregistered 11:20 AM 09-05-2015
Hi all,

I have a rather unique situation. I'm an infant teacher in a brand new teen parenting program. The mothers (and some fathers) attend high school while their children are cared for in a separate wing of the building housing a licensed early learning center. We currently have three infant rooms, two toddler rooms, and one preschool room. I and my assistant will be responsible for 8 infants ranging from 2.5 months to 9 months, with parents as young as 14. This week was our inaugural week, and we had teens show up who hadn't yet registered themselves and/or their child. As a result, we are overflowing with infants until another class room can be opened and more teachers hired. For the past three days I've had 10 infants on my roster, which is the absolute maximum allowed by licensing.

About half of the moms breast feed their child every few hours (moms are issued restaurant-type "pagers" which we use to signal to them that their child is ready). Parents pick up their child during high school lunch break and take them along to the cafeteria to eat together (well the toddlers and up eat). The intent is to maximize parent-child contact and interaction. After lunch they bring their child back to us and return to their high school classes.

Part of the required high school curriculum is parenting education. The teens will study different topics in parenting and then spend several periods a week in their child's classroom. I will be modeling and coaching the teens on their interactions with their child.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but this is just to show the pieces I can't change in regard to frequent interruptions throughout the day.

Here is where I need help. None of the infants in my room are on any kind of a daily sleep schedule. Most of them are nursed to sleep and either held to nap or put to bed with a bottle. All of the breast fed babies sleep with mom. During the day they all seem to have been cat napping in car seats, bouncy seats, swings, and the like. My classroom is "container free" so they are really struggling right now! I have been trying to put them down sleepy but awake, and they scream intensely. It's no doubt worse that they're all affecting one another in a negative cycle. Out of desperation I've been holding, rocking, and walking them to sleep, but they wake up as soon as they're put down. Needless to say they're cranky and very, very tired. I've used white noise, soft music, and dim lighting with very limited success.

I need to do whatever I can to help these infants settle into a sleep schedule during the day. Any and all comments, thoughts, and suggestions would be graciously received and welcomed.
nannyde 12:10 PM 09-05-2015
I enjoyed your pre story. It was interesting.

The good news is that it doesn't matter what type of infant care you do in today's market. You can have your unique situation or be a brick and mortar stand alone center or a home child care. The babies of today come exactly as you describe. The vast majority sleep at home in a manner we would be prosecuted for if we did as their parents.

Until parents are held accountable for deaths in unsafe sleeping situations, the chasm between what we can do and what parents can do just widens. A baby who sleeps with one to one care, sleeps nipple attached, sleeps upright, and sleeps with motion will cry if placed in a safe sleep position.

There really isn't anything to do except cry it out. I don't know if you have too many alternatives. You could call for parents to get the child but it wouldn't be long before the school would grow weary of that.

This IS infant care today. It's very different than when I started.

Good luck
Laurel 01:03 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi all,

I have a rather unique situation. I'm an infant teacher in a brand new teen parenting program. The mothers (and some fathers) attend high school while their children are cared for in a separate wing of the building housing a licensed early learning center. We currently have three infant rooms, two toddler rooms, and one preschool room. I and my assistant will be responsible for 8 infants ranging from 2.5 months to 9 months, with parents as young as 14. This week was our inaugural week, and we had teens show up who hadn't yet registered themselves and/or their child. As a result, we are overflowing with infants until another class room can be opened and more teachers hired. For the past three days I've had 10 infants on my roster, which is the absolute maximum allowed by licensing.

About half of the moms breast feed their child every few hours (moms are issued restaurant-type "pagers" which we use to signal to them that their child is ready). Parents pick up their child during high school lunch break and take them along to the cafeteria to eat together (well the toddlers and up eat). The intent is to maximize parent-child contact and interaction. After lunch they bring their child back to us and return to their high school classes.

Part of the required high school curriculum is parenting education. The teens will study different topics in parenting and then spend several periods a week in their child's classroom. I will be modeling and coaching the teens on their interactions with their child.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but this is just to show the pieces I can't change in regard to frequent interruptions throughout the day.

Here is where I need help. None of the infants in my room are on any kind of a daily sleep schedule. Most of them are nursed to sleep and either held to nap or put to bed with a bottle. All of the breast fed babies sleep with mom. During the day they all seem to have been cat napping in car seats, bouncy seats, swings, and the like. My classroom is "container free" so they are really struggling right now! I have been trying to put them down sleepy but awake, and they scream intensely. It's no doubt worse that they're all affecting one another in a negative cycle. Out of desperation I've been holding, rocking, and walking them to sleep, but they wake up as soon as they're put down. Needless to say they're cranky and very, very tired. I've used white noise, soft music, and dim lighting with very limited success.

I need to do whatever I can to help these infants settle into a sleep schedule during the day. Any and all comments, thoughts, and suggestions would be graciously received and welcomed.
Could you hold a meeting for the parents and explain what you just did to us? Maybe at least some would be willing to work on it at home. Tell them it might be rough at first and take a while but you hate to see their baby 'so miserable' while in daycare. Just using the word 'miserable' might jolt them into realizing they are doing their baby a disservice by not training them properly at home. It makes their day harder on them at daycare. Or at the very least send home fliers and try to talk to each one individually.

Personally (and I might get flamed for this) but I don't get the 'no container' trend. I am now retired and did child care for 20 years but I think swings are invaluable. I like the little bouncy seats with toys around them as well. Yes, I did plenty of floor time but I think a balance of all of them works well to keep babies happy and occupied. I know you probably don't have those options or maybe don't want them. I'm just venting I guess. I think no containers make infant care so much harder.

The only thing I can think of in your situation might be the use of pacifiers for those who will take them. I know all babies won't. Also music or white noise. Did you give that a good chance and do it pretty long? Sometimes it takes a while. They also have little devices (I think one looks like a turtle) that projects light patterns on the ceiling. Maybe give that a try.

I have done cry it out but I can't do it for long periods. Just seems mean to me personally. I think the longest I ever did it was for 30 minutes but felt more comfortable with 20. Then I'd cuddle for a while and put them back down to cry for 10 or 15 more minutes. I know this isn't the norm but I felt I was 'gradually' training them. It takes longer overall but eventually works. I guess I thought of it like swimming lessons. You work on it a little each day instead of throwing them in the first day.

Oh I also want to say that given the limitations that are put on you, I think it is admirable that you will take this on.

Laurel
Thriftylady 01:12 PM 09-05-2015
When I was in foster care I wanted to open my home to girls with babies and try to teach them parenting. Fortunately, there wasn't a huge need for it at the time. My high school did have a center like you are mentioning though. If I remember right the moms had to use some class time to help provide care in the center.
Laurel 06:54 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
When I was in foster care I wanted to open my home to girls with babies and try to teach them parenting. Fortunately, there wasn't a huge need for it at the time. My high school did have a center like you are mentioning though. If I remember right the moms had to use some class time to help provide care in the center.
That's a really good idea to have the girls use class time to help provide care in the center. I wonder if OP could get that implemented where she works.

Laurel
Unregistered 08:55 PM 09-05-2015
They sort of will be doing that. There are going to be structured supervised activities for them to do with their child, though I don't know how that will pan out until the infants are on some kind of sleep-wake schedule. Helping provide care may be what they actually do for a while during those times.

I would love to let them know how the difficulty napping is affecting their children, though I have to choose the words carefully. Some girls might see it as a reason to abandon their education. Maybe the high school parenting educator could talk about it in an academic way, like "as you complete your education and begin your career, your child needs self-help and independence skills to be able to thrive while with their caregiver. They need to be able to go to sleep in a crib placed on their back," and so on. Letting them know about safe sleep practices and that consistency between environments is important. I've already said pretty much the same thing to them on the first day, but hopefully hearing it again and again will help!

Laurel, although I am a supporter of RIE practices I also have a realistic perspective. I don't believe baby containers are inherently bad. I used them with my own children. I've just sometimes seen them overused in group infant care where teachers spend the day shuffling 8-10 babies between bouncy seat, exersaucer, bumbo chair, boppy, and swing. They fall asleep so easily in devices and then have to be transferred to crib where they immediately wake and cry, so they're placed back in a device to soothe, and the cycle repeats all day. Perhaps you've had better luck with it than I And thank you for your kind words!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions......keep 'em coming, I'm taking them all in!!
Laurel 06:26 AM 09-06-2015
They sort of will be doing that. There are going to be structured supervised activities for them to do with their child, though I don't know how that will pan out until the infants are on some kind of sleep-wake schedule. Helping provide care may be what they actually do for a while during those times.

I would love to let them know how the difficulty napping is affecting their children, though I have to choose the words carefully. Some girls might see it as a reason to abandon their education. Maybe the high school parenting educator could talk about it in an academic way, like "as you complete your education and begin your career, your child needs self-help and independence skills to be able to thrive while with their caregiver. They need to be able to go to sleep in a crib placed on their back," and so on. Letting them know about safe sleep practices and that consistency between environments is important. I've already said pretty much the same thing to them on the first day, but hopefully hearing it again and again will help!

Laurel, although I am a supporter of RIE practices I also have a realistic perspective. I don't believe baby containers are inherently bad. I used them with my own children. I've just sometimes seen them overused in group infant care where teachers spend the day shuffling 8-10 babies between bouncy seat, exersaucer, bumbo chair, boppy, and swing. They fall asleep so easily in devices and then have to be transferred to crib where they immediately wake and cry, so they're placed back in a device to soothe, and the cycle repeats all day. Perhaps you've had better luck with it than I And thank you for your kind words!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions......keep 'em coming, I'm taking them all in!!
I think I've had better luck because I've never had that many babies at once. The good thing about home childcare is that I could choose how many babies to take at one time. Probably one of the reasons you have so much trouble with their sleeping/nap is I think it would be very hard with a lot of babies in one room even if there are enough adults. The noise alone not to mention the student parent interruptions. Once I interviewed at a center and they wanted me to take 4 infants at a time. Forget it. My first group in my home was 3 infants and no other children and that was plenty. Luckily they were really good babies. I can't even fathom having 8 babies in a room with 2 adults which is what I think was going to be the situation. After hearing what they wanted I told them I wasn't interested.

Laurel
Laurel 06:28 AM 09-06-2015
P.S. Plus back then it was okay to let babies sleep on their tummies. My own 3 children did because the SIDS info wasn't out at that time. I totally loved tummy sleeping but wouldn't do it today.
childcaremom 08:03 AM 09-06-2015
If part of their courses include parenting education, could you include a talk on sleep habits? Safe sleep habits, the importance of sufficient sleep, creating a healthy sleeping schedule.... something along those lines?

I would think it would be beneficial to the parents to have a schedule, as well, so they could plan their studies/work/etc around their children's naps. If their children have a good napping schedule, the parents will find it easier to plan study/work time around, not to mention having children that are happier.
Unregistered 10:11 AM 09-06-2015
Unfortunately you might just have to 'cry it out' until they get used to the new schedule and environment. Until this time they have been at home with their mothers or another caretaker. They most likely HAVE to sleep with their mothers since their home/bedroom probably isn't set up for an infant and the baby has no other place to sleep but in the bed with their mom. As a high school mommy they most likely let the baby sleep in their bed for nursing since it's the only way they can ensure that they get enough sleep to not pass out during classes the next day. You're right, this situation is unique and it will have it's unique issues...this is one of them. Infants, as it is, simply aren't going to be able to be put on a sleep schedule if that is what you're trying to do and I doubt that any of these teen mothers are going to risk their own sleep by working on it at home (some might, but I doubt it....teens today are generally 'selfish' in nature, not their fault they were raised this way). I would just try as much as possible to get them to fall asleep and then continue to 'rock' them while they are laying in the crib by gently patting their side (I usually pat their thigh) to give them a sense of still being in motion. After a few weeks they should begin to get used to it.
Unregistered 01:25 PM 09-06-2015
What you wrote makes sense. I, too, wondered whether they even had cribs at home, but the situation would probably be the same anyway if they did. I'm in favor of educating them rather than lowering or limiting the expectations. Maybe some will rise to the challenges sooner than others, but if the bar is set too low simply because of their age, why would they push themselves? KWIM? On the other hand, the expectations need to be realistic so they'll remain in school. I don't know.....
daycarediva 11:11 AM 09-07-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I enjoyed your pre story. It was interesting.

The good news is that it doesn't matter what type of infant care you do in today's market. You can have your unique situation or be a brick and mortar stand alone center or a home child care. The babies of today come exactly as you describe. The vast majority sleep at home in a manner we would be prosecuted for if we did as their parents.

Until parents are held accountable for deaths in unsafe sleeping situations, the chasm between what we can do and what parents can do just widens. A baby who sleeps with one to one care, sleeps nipple attached, sleeps upright, and sleeps with motion will cry if placed in a safe sleep position.

There really isn't anything to do except cry it out. I don't know if you have too many alternatives. You could call for parents to get the child but it wouldn't be long before the school would grow weary of that.

This IS infant care today. It's very different than when I started.

Good luck
Now THIS I agree with. One of the many reasons I don't take infants.

As a teen Mom who was kicked out of my house, and my high school... these parents have every possible resource. Let's throw all the money at them/their children. Free childcare, probably free housing, free food. Nevermind, ignore my rant.
daycarediva 11:13 AM 09-07-2015
What you wrote makes sense. I, too, wondered whether they even had cribs at home, but the situation would probably be the same anyway if they did. I'm in favor of educating them rather than lowering or limiting the expectations. Maybe some will rise to the challenges sooner than others, but if the bar is set too low simply because of their age, why would they push themselves? KWIM? On the other hand, the expectations need to be realistic so they'll remain in school. I don't know.....
Maybe if they had to take more personal responsibility. Could they be REQUIRED to put in volunteer hours at study halls/breaks? Then they could see/be taught first hand what safe sleep practices/good parenting IS, while contributing something back to this program?
Heidi 04:56 PM 09-07-2015
Daycare's idea is great!

Having them volunteer in the classroom as part of their parenting class would help everyone involved. You'd have another set of hands, teen parents would learn some things, and the children would benefit as well.

If it's at all possible, maybe you or your supervisor could approach the parent's teacher about the idea.
Unregistered 06:24 PM 09-07-2015
Great idea! I can certainly ask. Some good news....the school got the word out on social media and we will have volunteers for the next few weeks...yippee!! I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Tags:cio, colic, cry it out, infants, teen parents, teens
Reply Up