Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Daycare In Neighborhood
Oscar 11:12 AM 10-22-2007
I live in Pennsylvania and I think that my neighbor is running a daycare from her home. My neighborhood is striclty a residential zone, so I do not believe this is licensed. There are anywhere from 14-16 kids there daily from 1:00 - 5:00, elementary school age. There is only one adult present and she is frequently asleep in a hammock while the children play. I am concerned for the safety of the children, but also the noise is outrageous. The house lots are only 1/8 of an acre so usually half of the children are in my yard and the lack of supervision worries me since I would be liable for any accidents they had in my yard. Does anyone know a way for me to find out the regulations in PA and how to get this shut down. Thanks for your input.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 11-07-2007
Check your city Planning Dept to find if your neighborhood is zoned for home businesses. Then contact your Child Care Division to see if they are registered, if not, they can probably give you ideas on how to handle your neighbor. There is always the media too.

Office of Child Development and Early Learning
Departments of Education and Public Welfare
333 Market Street 6th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17103
Phone: 717-346-9320
Toll Free: 877-4-PA-KIDS (877-472-5437, within State)
Fax: 717-346-9330
Web Site: http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/Child/ChildCare/
Unregistered 09:31 PM 07-17-2008
get a life of you own and stop worrying about your neighbor.
daycaremom1998 07:27 AM 07-28-2008
First of all, you have every right to be worried about your neighbor and the business she is doing. You are right, if children are in your yard and they get hurt, you pay the price.

I recommend that you anonymously contact your city zoning department. My neighborhood is zoned residential, but an application can be filled out to have just one home zoned for business if all the requirements are met; so it is possible that she has done this if the same holds true where you live. If she is zoned for business, ask this same department how many children she is zoned to have. Sometimes the number of children allowed are different between the city and state agencies. Next, you can contact your county or state daycare licensing agency. This phone number is usually listed in your phone book in the city, county, and state sections under Human Services or Daycare Licensing. Most likely with that many children, she isn't licensed. In the state I live in, if we want to have more than 8 children, we have to apply for a large daycare home license and hire an assistant.

If you have witnessed her not supervising these children, then you definitely need to check into this. Let me put it to you this way... if something were to happen to one of those children, and the police come to you and ask questions like... did you ever see this lady not supervising these children?... and you answer yes I did, there is a strong possibility that you can be charged as an accessory to any charges that are brought against her. It is called Failure to Report.

I hope this helps.
Unregistered 03:07 PM 06-01-2011
I am having this exact same issue with my fabulous new next-door neighbors, can anyone please help? I live in Georgia if it matters. These lovely people have 5 of their own children as well as at least 10 children being kept they come in starting at 6AM and stay for anywhere from 12-14 hours. The allow the children to run the neighborhood unsupervised screaming at the top of their lungs while the adult will sit on their porch hanging out and sometimes drinking. In addition they have a huge above ground pool with NO fence at all. And I'm sorry but the noise and trespassing is nearly unbearable, I have come home to them in my FENCED yard chasing my pet around with baseball bats!!
Abigail 07:47 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am having this exact same issue with my fabulous new next-door neighbors, can anyone please help? I live in Georgia if it matters. These lovely people have 5 of their own children as well as at least 10 children being kept they come in starting at 6AM and stay for anywhere from 12-14 hours. The allow the children to run the neighborhood unsupervised screaming at the top of their lungs while the adult will sit on their porch hanging out and sometimes drinking. In addition they have a huge above ground pool with NO fence at all. And I'm sorry but the noise and trespassing is nearly unbearable, I have come home to them in my FENCED yard chasing my pet around with baseball bats!!
WOW, if someone kid or not was in my fenced yard chasing my pet i would call the cops.
youretooloud 07:52 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
get a life of you own and stop worrying about your neighbor.
I'd say that too... but, the kids are in his yard. I'd be livid!

The rest is not really any of your business.... but, if the kids are in your yard, and they are really that loud, I'd complain to someone.

But, never forget. Karma sucks. So, keep that in mind when you do make the complaints... be sure you have nothing that the other neighbors can complain about.
Unregistered 08:23 PM 06-01-2011
SO go say hi! ask what's up and how to talk to the kids about staying out of your yard because you don't want anyone to get hurt...mention that you have been worried that something could happen to one of them, and you might not be home to help.

See what they say - if they are running a daycare they will probably either talk or hide and both will guide you. If they are having a bunch of kid friends over - its time for the boundary talk and getting to know the kids in a positive way so they know you and your limits. If they are running a daycare or after school care, it might not be illegal, but they might be way out of ratio. Strictly residential usually does not mean no home daycare.
Tags:neighbor issue, pennsylvania
Reply Up