Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Most Important Aspects to Consider for Picking Childcare Provider?
Golden Rule 12:14 PM 08-09-2010
I have been a childcare provider for many years and from time to time I wonder if I am out of date with current trends.

I wonder if maybe I can learn/offer something new... or if I should just stick with what works?

As parents, today, what are you looking for in a childcare situation? What are the things that tip the scale in favor of one provider/situation over another?
GretasLittleFriends 01:37 PM 08-09-2010
That is a great question. As a daycare provider with a couple of openings, I look forward to some answers (hints).
Aya477 01:45 PM 08-09-2010
Hi GoldenRule.

I must first say that I have only looked into center childcare but I hope that some of the items I find important are also relevant to your program.

In NC, licensed childcare facilities receive star ratings on a scale of 1-5 stars (home and center). A variety of factors determine the star rating but the main rating criteria comes down to curriculum offered and staff education. I have only looked at centers that were 4 or 5 stars. I also request a 3 year history from the state licensing that details visits, complaints, compliance, etc. If I find write ups that signify to me that there have been incidents where the staff do not exercise good judgment, then I toss those as options and will not even visit.

I want to see that my child isn't left to entertain himself for the majority of the day. I prefer alot of teacher directed activities. For our family, we really value teacher-child interaction. My child has been in a classroom before where the teachers did not interact with the children and it was a nightmare....the children did not bond with eachother, major behavior problems, the children expressed that they did not like the teachers, potty accidents, the list goes on...you name it and this classroom experienced it.

Discipline policy is important to me. I do not believe in time outs and would want a center who does not use time outs as punishment. In the 3 centers my child has attended, I can say with certainty that the one that has a no-time out policy has better behaved children. I think those teachers have better training with how to talk to children about their actions rather than put them off in a corner somewhere.

I also don't have to worry so much about toys because NC licensing requires certain themed centers to be available and a certain number of toys/manipulatives per center based on classroom maximum size. The next item would be child/teacher ratio. Some centers offer enhanced ratios above what the state mandates. Of course, the lowest ratio possible is my ideal choice.

What other aspects are on your mind for an opinion?
Golden Rule 03:03 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Aya477:
Hi GoldenRule.

I must first say that I have only looked into center childcare but I hope that some of the items I find important are also relevant to your program.

In NC, licensed childcare facilities receive star ratings on a scale of 1-5 stars (home and center). A variety of factors determine the star rating but the main rating criteria comes down to curriculum offered and staff education. I have only looked at centers that were 4 or 5 stars. I also request a 3 year history from the state licensing that details visits, complaints, compliance, etc. If I find write ups that signify to me that there have been incidents where the staff do not exercise good judgment, then I toss those as options and will not even visit.

I want to see that my child isn't left to entertain himself for the majority of the day. I prefer alot of teacher directed activities. For our family, we really value teacher-child interaction. My child has been in a classroom before where the teachers did not interact with the children and it was a nightmare....the children did not bond with eachother, major behavior problems, the children expressed that they did not like the teachers, potty accidents, the list goes on...you name it and this classroom experienced it.

Discipline policy is important to me. I do not believe in time outs and would want a center who does not use time outs as punishment. In the 3 centers my child has attended, I can say with certainty that the one that has a no-time out policy has better behaved children. I think those teachers have better training with how to talk to children about their actions rather than put them off in a corner somewhere.

I also don't have to worry so much about toys because NC licensing requires certain themed centers to be available and a certain number of toys/manipulatives per center based on classroom maximum size. The next item would be child/teacher ratio. Some centers offer enhanced ratios above what the state mandates. Of course, the lowest ratio possible is my ideal choice.

What other aspects are on your mind for an opinion?
It never occured to me that parents would want a "no time out" policy.... Those are exactly the kinds of things I want to know. Thank you!

( Sidenote for you: I am actually required to have a time out policy by the state.... We are taught "re-direction, first. Then, one minute for every year of age in a time out area". I agree, it does not work well. My general goal is prevention, but like any other method, it is not always effective on every child.)

I guess I am looking for the "special/niche" things? Assuming that all "basic" needs and "general" requirements are well met...
Michael 02:35 AM 08-10-2010
We have a couple or articles that might also be helpful:

https://www.daycare.com/news/tips.html

https://www.daycare.com/fastfacts/daycare.html
Golden Rule 04:24 AM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
We have a couple or articles that might also be helpful:

https://www.daycare.com/news/tips.html

https://www.daycare.com/fastfacts/daycare.html
Thanks, Michael! Those are great. I printed the first one for my exiting four year olds Mothers. I think that will help them pick a pre-k.... They are so nervous I can't get them to go...lol!!
Janet 10:30 AM 08-10-2010
I've had the same group of kids pretty much forever, so I'm curious as to what parents are looking for, too. I have a time out policy but I seldom have to use it. I'm lucky to have kids that are receptive to redirection and incentive programs.
MrSint 09:22 AM 11-18-2010
As someone who's likely looking for a new daycare in the very near future - I'd say besides the basics - cleanliness, safety, cost, ratios etc...

Some of the things that'd bring US on board would be:

1 - Constructive learning plans - whatever there might be to engage little minds in a learning environment - activities, crafts, etc...

2 - Engaged staff - this is sort of a gray area, but to me - seeing a bright, positive, confident person caring for the kids goes a long way vs someone who comes across as crushingly bored or irritable who is more apt to sit around texting on the phone all day long.

3 - Most importantly - the DCP's attitude. I've seen plenty of examples of BOTH sides of the coin on here as well as in the few places we've seen. There are some that seem almost dismissive if not abbrassive about their clients. As if the clients owe them a debt of grattitude for even considering to care for their child. Considering that the cost is comparable to a new car every year, not to mention - it's their CHILD - when I get the sense that clients are regarded as some sort of discardable nuissance - it's a big turnoff. Conversely, DCPs who seem to exude a strong sense of customer service and appreciation for not only the business they receive, but also the responsibility of being entrusted with their clients' children - that gets my attention.
Daycare Dad 08:30 AM 11-22-2010
This can be a tricky question but I think it shows a real commitment to offering great daycare by just asking the question.

As a father of two young ones there are some of the things I look for.
  1. Clean and safe enviroment
  2. "Up to date" discipline methods IE: Rediretion
  3. "Up to date" diet and meal plans.
  4. Preschool activities that are inline with local schools expectations for Kindergarten

http://www.decideondaycare.com of info as well. They are focused on helping parents find what daycare. On there site you should be able to find lots of things that parents are looking for in daycare.

I think you have to keep a mix of old ways that work and what some of the new techniques are. In a few years I have even seen changes in "preferred parenting".
Michael 02:01 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Dad:
This can be a tricky question but I think it shows a real commitment to offering great daycare by just asking the question.

As a father of two young ones there are some of the things I look for.
  1. Clean and safe enviroment
  2. "Up to date" discipline methods IE: Rediretion
  3. "Up to date" diet and meal plans.
  4. Preschool activities that are inline with local schools expectations for Kindergarten
http://www.decideondaycare.com of info as well. They are focused on helping parents find what daycare. On there site you should be able to find lots of things that parents are looking for in daycare.

I think you have to keep a mix of old ways that work and what some of the new techniques are. In a few years I have even seen changes in "preferred parenting".
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Daycare Dad. Your post is basically an advertisement. We rarely allow advertisments on the forum and usually they are from long standing members that contibute a great deal first. I am allowing your link this one time since we are all trying to further the standards in Daycare. Likewise your site has a lot of Google ads and you may have noticed Daycare.com does not.
caregiver 05:08 PM 01-02-2011
I'm sorry parents, but I am a daycare provider, a in-home one. I have been doing daycare for over 20 some years now. I do use a time out for discipline if necessary. I firmly believe that children need to know that if they misbehave that there are consequences for their actions. Redirecting them is basically talking them through what they have done wrong and if you have a 2 yr old, they really don't understand that. This is the reason we have so many undisciplined kids these days because you as parents do not make them understand that if they do something wrong it is ok. They need to know what they did was not acceptable and know that there is consequences for their actions. I do not put them in time out for a long period of time, but they do understand what time out means and I AM NOT being a mean provider or abusing the kids by doing this. Kids need discipline and too many kids these days are not getting it and you as parents NEED to STEP up and be the parent and not let your child be naughty and know they can get away with it. You are the parent, not their friend and to many of you are afraid to be the parent and want to let them do whatever they want so they will like you. Let them get mad at you, then they will know you are the boss, which you should be and not let them be your boss!

Sorry to put it like this to you parents, but over the years I have seen to many parents being bossed by their child, who may be only 2 or 3 yrs old and that is not being a good example to your kids. They need to know you are in charge.
Abigail 10:51 PM 01-02-2011
Robin, the up-to-date versions of time outs can vary according to the child's development level or age and also the providers personal beliefs. Outdated times outs would be yellings, hitting with a ruler or wooden spoon like spanking or other old-fashioned time out punishment. Redirection is good for young children who don't speak yet especially. Most time-outs start at age two and go based off of one minute per year of age and require an explanation of why they are in time out. That is still punishment and think that is good enough for the daycare setting. Besides, we must follow rules as a daycare provider and it comes down to whether each provider believes in time outs of not or redirection. It comes down to each parents choice whether they agree to how situations will be handled with their child at daycare.
caregiver 04:36 AM 01-03-2011
Abigal, my time outs are simply the child sits on the time out chair, which is a little child size chair and they sit for maybe 10 minutes, which is not that long. It gives them some time to think about what they did wrong and know that if they misbehave at doing the same thing again, they will end up in the time out chair again, until they know that what they did was wrong. I see nothing wrong with this, it is not abusive by any means and my daycare parents do the same thing at home and totally support me on this. When they are older, say 4-5 yrs old, then then do understand redirection, but a child younger does not. I DO NOT believe in spanking, the spoon or any other kind of punishment. I think the time outs are a good discipline action and the children do respond to this as they know they will end up in time out chair if they keep doing the misbehaving thing. We, as daycare providers have to teach the children right from wrong, So many parent these days are choosing to ignore bad behavior of their kids because they just don't want to take the time to do it, want to be their friend instead of being a parent and just are tired when they come home from their job and let the child do anything they want because they are tired and don't want to deal with it. So that is why it is up to us to show the kids what is acceptable and what is not as the parents are not doing it. That said, not all parents are like that, so I am not talking about all parents. I have a parent who does not want to try and be bothered with potty training on their almost 4 yr old because they are so TIRED when they get home from work and it would take too much time at night to sit with the child while he is on the potty trying to get him potty trained. Now that is just ridiculous to me. Anyway, yes it is up to the parents about what type of provider they want and what kind of rules they enforce.
SilverSabre25 08:00 AM 01-03-2011
Robin, I think you may misunderstand redirection. It works best with younger children, especially those who don't speak yet. If Johnny is taking a toy from Sally, it's much more effective to redirect Johnny to play with something else--as an adult you have to get down and help Johnny find something else. It also is the beginnings of teaching conflict resolution. Or, if Timmy is constantly trying to climb up on the table, you redirect him to a more suitable place for climbing. Time outs are effective to give the child (and grown-up) both a chance to step back, cool down, and get "one step removed" from the problem, and be able to handle it constructively. Time outs need to be used alongside redirection, talking about better ways to handle a situation, and other methods. 10 minutes is too long, IMO, and takes it from "cool down" to punishment.
caregiver 10:55 AM 01-03-2011
Sorry, yes, you are right, for a younger child that works better, but what if they keep doing it over and over and you have to tell or talk to them half a dozen times about doing the same thing, which happened to me.
I start the time outs at around 1 1/2 which is when my daycare parents have started that themselves. The child at that age can understand time outs then even if they are not talking, they understand what is going on.
The time outs are not a cool down for me, it is showing the child that like I said, there are consequences for their actions and if they know they will sit on the time out chair, they will think maybe they shouldn't do that again, whatever they were doing because they don't want to sit in time out again. Ten minutes IS NOT cruel! My daycare parents themselves do time outs at home for a lot longer then that and that is the parents, not me. Also, even if the child is not talking, it doesn't mean that they don't understand what they are doing! If the talking resolution doesn't work, then there is nothing wrong with the time outs. I guess I am older(50+)and am old fashion about disciplining kids and think too many people don't disciplining their children enough and that is why we have all these kids that when they get older seem to get into trouble. They are too used to getting their own way and no one has taught them that they don't get their own way all the time. Young parents of today's world, not all, but some of them are into themselves and don't want to take the time to work with their kids to show them what is right from wrong. They want"their time"! So someone has to deal with showing them how to do the right things and have to be taught at the young age, whether it is with the talking resolution, if that works or time outs. That usually means it is up to who looks after them during the day. I just can't stand by and watch children misbehaving and getting away with things because they know no one is going to do anything to stop them. If they know their is consequences to their action, they will think twice about doing it and that comes from how they were raised when they were young, either by parents or providers. I am not saying I believe in harsh punishment, but that kids need a direction from adults especially when they are young to form their life.
This is my last post about this because I don't think time outs are mean or cruel punishments and if nothing else works for the child before you have to use time outs, then it is our responsibility to help these children learn what is right to do and what is wrong.
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 01-03-2011
I do not use time out for any age.....we use redirection for everyone. If a child can not participate or play cooperatively then they need to be redirected to another activity. Sometimes it is alone or into another group...depends on the age, the setting, the act performed to get the redirection and most of all it depends on the child. Every child is different and sometimes a warning works and sometimes I have to follow through with many rounds of redirection until they finally get it.....Heck, no two days are even the same so it totally depends on alot of factors. I also believe that if time-out is used, it should be 1 minute per age. IMO, 10 minutes in time out negates the reason for time-out. If they sit in time-out for ten minutes I don't think they even remember why they are there any more.
caregiver 11:34 AM 01-03-2011
One more thing, if the child just gets a talking to and redirection, like if they take a toy away from another child, they might just keep taking toys away from another child because the talking to isn't doing any good, just because you get down with them and say, try choosing another toy or it is not nice to take things away from another child, it might not mean enough to them and they might just keep doing because they know the provider will just keep saying to do something else and that is not enough to make them stop what they are doing. Showing them that they might have to sit in time out for awhile, several times if the keep doing it, will maybe register to them tahat they can't get away with doing what they are doing again, when they know they will have to do time out. It will soon sink into them that maybe taking the toy away is not a good thing to do, where if they think all you are going to do is talk to them, it does not mean anything to them and that they think they can still do that all they want,there is no consquences that they will have. "Why should I stop taking the toy away from the other little girl when all my provider will do to me is talk to me, that means nothing to me" They might think." Nothing is going to make me stop doing this"
caregiver 11:37 AM 01-03-2011
Sure they remember why they are in time out. I explain to them why they were put in time out and when time out is finished I ask them why they were put in time out and they know, believe me, they understand. We don't give kids enough credit, they are smart and like to test us to see what we will let them get by with and then figure out what they can't get by with.
Putting them in another room or situation does no good also, it does not cure the misbehavior problem, just gives them something else to do. but doesn't teach them what they did was wrong. You have to teach them, not negotiate with them. To me that does not solve the misbehavior. Words mean nothing to some kids but consequences do. That is why there are so many as I call them sometimes Brats out there because they know that they will get what they want and no one is going to do anything to them to make them stop. Come on people, this world of ours is so full of self centered people because they have gotten their way in life and no one has called them on it because they have not learned that sometimes you have to be held accountable for your actions, which comes from a young age. You need to be reinforcing to children that at what ever age they are,they are accountable for their actions.
caregiver 12:19 PM 01-03-2011
By the way, if your wondering why I am on here so much today, it is because I have the week off, so have time to read and respond.
Aya477 12:26 PM 01-04-2011
Robin,
You are welcome to have your own set of beliefs on disciplining children just as I have my own beliefs. You do not know my child nor the other parent's child(ren) who commented above that he wanted "up to date discipling IE Redirection" to discern that either of us are failing as parents because we do not use nor advocate time outs and thus perpetuate what you apparently believe to be a society of "brats" who are "self centered" and undisciplined from lack of time outs.

I don't use time outs for my son (4yo) and he is by far better behaved than any of my friend's children who think they are such great parents because they subscribe to the latest parenting trends and read various parenting books. I get a laugh at how ridiculous the parents behave with their children while they toss them in time out and sternly tell the child "No. No. Do not do such and such again". These parents find themselves once again punishing their child for the same behavior shortly after the last punishment is over because their child is not learning from these discipline methods. My hubby & I talk to our son about his actions to verbalize why an action is not acceptable, dangerous, or inappropriate. A time out is not necessary to do that. While we watch movies, we also use that as an opportunity to discuss scenarios that we would like for him to avoid or be educated about. And by choosing a center that does not use time-outs, he has others throughout the day using "WORDS" (the very thing that providers encourage children to do) to explain why actions are not appropriate. So it is important to me to have a center that does not subscribe to anything other than redirection. What parents want in a daycare was the purpose of the thread.

No child knows exactly what to do, what not to do, and what their actions could cause (hurt themselves, hurt someone, etc). Children must be taught these things. It is a mistake to believe that parents are failing because they do not subscribe to time outs or any other form of disciplining. It is also a mistake to assume that parents who do not use time outs or discipline have the type of child you described above as a result. If your group of parents use time out at home and desire you to do the same, then that works great for you and your beliefs. Please be open minded and courteous enough to understand that your methods are not the golden rule of parenting and the rest of the world is welcome to choose their own style.
Cat Herder 12:54 PM 01-04-2011
I posted this in the provider section. This is our current state training on discipline. Granted it can be difficult in group care as the way kids act at home and how they act in a GROUP are as different as adults in the same situations Group mentality, jealousy and control issues can be VERY difficult...

Anyway, I give a copy of this to my parents and now I share with you guys.

THE ABC’S OF BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT
Always consider the child’s feelings. Be courteous and expect courtesy. Avoid embarrassing a
child.
Be alert and observant. Develop an ability to always see or know what is going on in your
group. Convey your alertness and attentiveness to the children. This is perhaps the most
effective way to prevent problems before
they occur.
Choose your words carefully when problems do arise.
Discipline yourself. In other words, control your temper. Some children enjoy seeing your
reactions to their behavior. In addition, you may be inadvertently teaching children that angry
outbursts are acceptable.
Excessive flattery as a technique to motivate or control is ineffective. Children regard this
technique as phony “gushiness.” It deteriorates the esteem the students hold for you as an
adult. Acceptance of each child must be sincere and unconditional.
Firmness and fairness should abide.
Good humor goes a long way. Children who see you happy are more likely to be happy
themselves. Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself.
Handle problems yourself as much as possible. Do not threaten to send a child to the
supervisor. In fact, be very careful about threatening anything. Threats can cause a power
struggle which generally escalates into a no-win situation.
Ignore those behaviors that are just to get attention.
Join the children at the back of the line. That way you can see all of them as they go down the
hall.
Keep this simple idea in mind...We are not dealing with children who are problems, but rather
children who may have problems.
Lead and train children at the beginning of the year.
Make positive statements as much as possible. Warm responses and wholesome child
demeanor are largely a result of the degree of positivism the teacher shows the children.
Never underestimate the power of your appearance. Staff members should dress appropriately.
Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, but exercise good taste. Remember the manner in which
you dress sets the climate for your group.
Options are important to children. Vary activities to reduce boredom and enhance their
interest.
Proximity control is an effective preventative approach. Some misbehavior can be stopped by
moving close to the child who is causing the problem.
Quiet activities can be just as much fun as noisy ones.
Routine rules and procedures such as room use, returning and leaving the room, distributing
materials, and cleanup should be presented beforehand. Smoother transitions occur when time
is invested in teaching children such procedures early in the program.
Show the children you are up for the challenge. A well-organized plan is the most essential key
to good behavior. There is no substitute for being well prepared. Remember: Staff who fail to
plan, plan to fail.
Try to predict what would confuse or distract children.
Use natural consequences as appropriate. Try to devise a consequence that is a natural
outgrowth of the behavior. For example—have a child sweep the room if he or she has been
throwing sand from the sand and water table.
Value each child and time spent with every child. Make the most of it. Understand that while
children are with you, your role becomes both teacher and substitute parent.
Watch the amount of attention you give to individual children. Whether it is for a problem or
not, children “tune in” to how much time you spend with others. Refrain from favoritism.
Children can sense this immediately.
X-pect to have fun. Meeting your own expectations always makes you feel good about yourself
and the program.
Yelling is not effective with children. Teachers who use this approach may have quiet,
controlled children one moment, and angry, hostile ones the next.
Zoom in and handle problems quickly. The sooner the problem is handled, the less disruptive it
will become. When you see disruptive behavior let the child know immediately. Otherwise, by
“letting it slide” you are in effect, telling the child that the behavior is acceptable.

Unregistered 10:30 AM 01-05-2011
Great information, thanks!! Very helpful. I like your site!
Angela
www.daycareheadquarters.com
melissa ann 04:51 PM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Robin:
Kids need discipline and too many kids these days are not getting it and you as parents NEED to STEP up and be the parent and not let your child be naughty and know they can get away with it. You are the parent, not their friend and to many of you are afraid to be the parent and want to let them do whatever they want so they will like you. Let them get mad at you, then they will know you are the boss, which you should be and not let them be your boss![/font]

Sorry to put it like this to you parents, but over the years I have seen to many parents being bossed by their child, who may be only 2 or 3 yrs old and that is not being a good example to your kids. They need to know you are in charge.
Totally agree. I have a 3yr old dcg who is the boss of her mom and thinks she can pull that crap on me. I DON'T THINK SO. And too many parents want to be "friends" with their kids. I tell my own 2 that I am your mother and not your friend. And when they do something wrong (unacceptable) there will be consquences. BYW, my kids are 3 1/2 and 6.
Tags:business management, choosing daycare, discipline - positive, expectations, time out
Reply Up