Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Wanting To Be Held All Day
barbdooley 06:35 AM 02-15-2011
I started dcb at the end of November and all he does is cry if he isn't being held I thought he would change once he was here for a few weeks but nope here it is Feb. and he is still crying all the time. Mom came today and let it slip that all they do at home is hold him cause they have a dog and don't want the dog messing with him so they don't put him down I asked her how she gets stuff done she says the dad holds him. Ugh... Now wonder why he never wants to be put down and I have to deal with his crying non stop.
SandeeAR 06:40 AM 02-15-2011
I would tell her, there is one of me. I can't and won't hold him all day.

YOU are making it hard on YOUR baby by you and your husband holding him all the time. Because all he does here is cry b/c I can't and wont' hold him all day.

You are also setting him up for developmental delays by never giving him tummy time on the floor.

If you want me to continue care, you and your husband are going to have to put your Baby before the dog. Pen the dog up if necessary and put your baby down.
Unregistered 07:32 AM 02-15-2011
OMG,
This reminds me so much of a 9 m/o I took and the mom did the same thing. Held him all the time so when I put him on the floor he would just wale. How old is the baby? I hope this baby isyoung b/c the longer they caddle him the harder its gonna be to get him used ot floor time. The child I had, had sensory problems,and he wasnt on any table foods. (Still the 1st foods jars) In his case I ended up having to say goodbye to him b/c he just wasnt suited for dc.
Try and get mom and Dad to start working with him now. And while he is with you just go about your normal routine. Thats a hard situation. Let us know how its going.
Deb
cillybean83 07:43 AM 02-15-2011
that's ridiculous, if you know you have to put your baby in a daycare environment, you're doing the kid no favors by holding him 24/7...if you want to be a stay at home mom and live in squalor because nothing gets done so you can hold your baby all day, then by all means, enjoy, but that isn't the case here, they need to wean him off the constant snuggles and give him tummy time, like, yesterday....or else you might have to term
marniewon 10:23 AM 02-15-2011
Ditto to everyone else. I just termed a baby whose parents did the same thing. I sent a note home letting them know I was giving them 2 weeks to (basically) make child dc ready at home and we would reassess at the end of the 2 weeks. I reassessed and realized they couldn't be working on things at home, as his crying was the same at the end of the 2 weeks. I termed him. My whole group is so much happier now.

They are only doing their baby an injustice by holding him all the time. If parents hold him all the time at home, there is no way that you will get him to the point of being okay by himself/on the floor.

Don't be afraid to tell them that you can't meet his needs. It is not a failure on your part. You've done all that you can, it's up to the parents to do their part.
Tags:holding
Reply Up