Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Not Touch The Baby, Please!
Neekie 07:06 AM 05-15-2012
I have this problem mainly with siblings who are used to doing things around their baby siblings at home and don't understand why they can not do it here. This morning big brother undid the buckles on his sister's car seat before I got a chance to get her out myself. Now I was sitting right next to the car seat and just looked away for a minute and when I looked back he was undoing the first buckle. He has been told many, many times before to leave his sister alone. He also has to be in her face at all times whenever I am feeding her, changing her, or whatever. He will undo the high chair straps if we do not watch him every second.
Michelle 07:11 AM 05-15-2012
I have the same problem! I have had other toddlers kiss infants(not their sibs) on the lips!
It is very frustrating. I am at the point where I have to keep the baby in the pcp (in the living room) if I'm not holding her or sitting next to her on the floor.
Kids just love them and do not understand they can't do this stuff at daycare, so you will feel like a nagging broken record but eventually they will get it.
Neekie 07:21 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have the same problem! I have had other toddlers kiss infants(not their sibs) on the lips!
It is very frustrating. I am at the point where I have to keep the baby in the pcp (in the living room) if I'm not holding her or sitting next to her on the floor.
Kids just love them and do not understand they can't do this stuff at daycare, so you will feel like a nagging broken record but eventually they will get it.
Yeah, I know. Mine are either in a pcp or in a completely different room whenever I am not right next to them, too. But still they touch and monkey around and just like you said, I feel like a nagging broken record, too. I know they love the babies and they are just trying to play with them and love on them and such, but it so hard to get them to understand that they can not do those things in day care.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 05-15-2012
I have this rule too but it is in the top 5 safety rule list and those rules are delivered in a really stern and very consistent manner.

"DO NOT TOUCH THE BABY OR THE BABY'S THINGS! EVER!!!"

I continually repeat and reinforce that NO ONE is ever allowed to touch the babies at childcare. Including siblings. I make sure I let ALL parents know right up front that although the older sibling may be allowed to touch, snuggle, cuddle or what have you with the baby at home that at daycare they are just like everyone else and are NOT ever allowed to touch the baby. I make sure they understand it is for safety reasons as well as the fact that other kids do not understand why one kid can touch the baby and they can't so it is easier and much safer to simply have the blanket rule that NO ONE can ever touch the baby.

If I see one of the DCK's touching the baby or the baby's things, I react IMMEDIATELY, firmly and in a tone that shows them that I truely mean business. I will do a time out if necessary. I react in the same manner I would if I saw a child try to stick something in an electrical outlet...kwim?

They do get it and eventually and pretty soon they all fully understand that the abby is off limits. It is also very important to make sure this is something tha tis discussed with the parents at home so they can reinforce the rule with their child at home by saying things such as "yes Jimmy, you can give Janie kisses and hugs at home but not at daycare."

Just keep consistent and VERY firm and they will get it.
daycare 07:41 AM 05-15-2012
I think that we have all has this experience...

I am similar to the way that blackcat does it....I don't take babies anymore, so I have not had this issue in a very long time.

I did allow for them to play or hug the baby, but it was only when I was holding baby and directly under my supervision. At all other times, baby was not to be touched and off limits.
Reply Up