Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Peanut Allergy
roxy1 01:08 PM 04-02-2014
So i have a space coming... i have a lady who has wanted into my daycare for some time now. She and i discuss the space and her daughter 21 mo has a nut allergy. 3 reactions so far... just touched a cashew and got hives. So we have nuts in every cupboard here and some kids even bring nuts in their lunch. i also live 35 min from the hospital. Mother is not concerned and says she has an epi pen and meds. i am personally terrified and i dont want to accept her, what do i say? it seems too risky but i dont want to discriminate.
Leigh 01:18 PM 04-02-2014
I am a very nut friendly household. I would never accept a child with a nut allergy because I could never assure the safety of the child. Other allergies I could deal with (dairy, a particular fruit or veggie), but nut allergies tend to be serious.
sally 01:39 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I am a very nut friendly household. I would never accept a child with a nut allergy because I could never assure the safety of the child. Other allergies I could deal with (dairy, a particular fruit or veggie), but nut allergies tend to be serious.
I am the same way. I could never make my home nut free so I could never accept a child with a nut allergy.
taylorw1210 02:26 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by roxy1:
So i have a space coming... i have a lady who has wanted into my daycare for some time now. She and i discuss the space and her daughter 21 mo has a nut allergy. 3 reactions so far... just touched a cashew and got hives. So we have nuts in every cupboard here and some kids even bring nuts in their lunch. i also live 35 min from the hospital. Mother is not concerned and says she has an epi pen and meds. i am personally terrified and i dont want to accept her, what do i say? it seems too risky but i dont want to discriminate.
If you feel like turning your home into a nut-free home would be too difficult, you need to think of the safety of the child before anything else - even if the mother doesn't. It would be too difficult for me to make my home nut-free.
Tdhmom 02:50 PM 04-02-2014
My 7 yr old son has a peanut allergy so my home is completely nut free. If you didn't feel comfortable I would let the mom know. I would rather someone be upfront with me rather than side step around the subject. It is life threatening. If the school calls me my stomach hurts because I'm scared something happened.
Mom o Col 03:04 PM 04-02-2014
I was asked to watch a child with a nut allergy and really considered it. I passed because I just wasn't sure I could ensure his safety. We are big into nuts and peanut butter here. He also had an epi pen. I'm not sure if this is true, maybe someone else knows better but if you do have to use the epi pen do you also need to call an ambulance?
Mom of 4 03:06 PM 04-02-2014
YES, if you use EPI, call 911 immediately after. (Or if you're quick, at same time).

Any time you use epi, regardless of what caused the allergy, it's an emergency.
LadyPearl 04:42 PM 04-02-2014
I would not accept a child with a nut allergy. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that child in my care. I would be upfront and honest about it.
Evansmom 05:06 PM 04-02-2014
I think we just had a discussion about PAs. Maybe someone can link that here?
IIRC It was found that since food allergies are protected under the ADA then you can not discriminate against a child who has a PA just bc of the allergy.
I may be wrong but I thought that's what we read. I'll go search for that link, maybe BC can chime in?
Sunchimes 05:07 PM 04-02-2014
The second child I kept had a peanut allergy. I was new and foolish and took her. If I'd found this forum before then, I would have turned her down. She had an attack at home during the year or so she was with me, but never one while here. It didn't affect her breathing but her skin was an itchy, bloody, horrible mess. I didn't have trouble going peanut free as far as peanut butter foods. My problem was having to read the labels on things that either had hidden PB or were produced on a factory line where peanut items may have also been produced. It put a real crimp on what I could feed the other kids. I wouldn't have termed her over it, at least not as things were at that time, but I would hesitate to take on another one.

We didn't have an epi pen because her doctor said she wasn't old enough for it. We are only 3 blocks from the fire station and 2 minutes from the hospital, but it was always a worry. Personally, I thought her doctor was way too casual about it.
Evansmom 05:07 PM 04-02-2014
Here it is!
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...Peanut+allergy
Evansmom 05:09 PM 04-02-2014
And here is what BC found after research into the subject:

Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.
momofboys 05:16 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
The second child I kept had a peanut allergy. I was new and foolish and took her. If I'd found this forum before then, I would have turned her down. She had an attack at home during the year or so she was with me, but never one while here. It didn't affect her breathing but her skin was an itchy, bloody, horrible mess. I didn't have trouble going peanut free as far as peanut butter foods. My problem was having to read the labels on things that either had hidden PB or were produced on a factory line where peanut items may have also been produced. It put a real crimp on what I could feed the other kids. I wouldn't have termed her over it, at least not as things were at that time, but I would hesitate to take on another one.

We didn't have an epi pen because her doctor said she wasn't old enough for it. We are only 3 blocks from the fire station and 2 minutes from the hospital, but it was always a worry. Personally, I thought her doctor was way too casual about it.
I find that odd - when me son was younger we had Epipen Jrs, they are especially for younger weights/younger kids.
Leigh 05:36 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
And here is what BC found after research into the subject:

Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.
I can understand that with a center, but not a home daycare. I kind of doubt that it would apply to an in home caregiver. ADA requires "reasonable accommodation", and in my opinion, it is unreasonable for me to have to rid my home of nuts to take in a child that I don't want. I am not interpreting the law here, it COULD apply to in-home caregivers, but I couldn't see how, considering that it is sort of dictating to me how my entire family must eat even outside of daycare hours.
momofboys 05:49 PM 04-02-2014
I can understand that with a center, but not a home daycare. I kind of doubt that it would apply to an in home caregiver. ADA requires "reasonable accommodation", and in my opinion, it is unreasonable for me to have to rid my home of nuts to take in a child that I don't want. I am not interpreting the law here, it COULD apply to in-home caregivers, but I couldn't see how, considering that it is sort of dictating to me how my entire family must eat even outside of daycare hours.
ITA & I am a mom who has a son who has a peanut allergy. It is really important that the child can be safe. And I would applaud a provider who outright is honest & says she/he can't accommodate that. Better safe than sorry!
Tdhmom 06:27 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by momofboys:
ITA & I am a mom who has a son who has a peanut allergy. It is really important that the child can be safe. And I would applaud a provider who outright is honest & says she/he can't accommodate that. Better safe than sorry!
Agree completely! When our son was first diagnosed we were pretty lax about it. But that in home daycare ended up giving him a pb cookie (completely on accident!!!) and I had to give him his epipen in the car on the way to er. My entire mind set has changed and I'm super paranoid about EVERYTHING!!! If my dcparents bring anything in and don't have a package with it for me to check I don't serve it.
It's too risky! His airway is the size of his pinky and could close so quickly by having just the tiniest bit of pb. His school works with us so well otherwise I would be homeschooling.
Evansmom 07:41 PM 04-02-2014
Just passing along info from the other thread. BC had originally thought the same as what you say but then after reading more into it, and the fact the ADA does specify private daycare centers she re-thought and said maybe we are required to provide reasonable accommodation. (BC chime in here, I apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth).

Now what reasonable accommodation is to the ADA and legally is something that I do not know the definition of. But I highly doubt it would mean ridding your entire house of all nut products and disallowing your entire family from eating foods you enjoy. I do think however it may mean making sure nuts aren't served during daycare hours and that nut residue is cleaned from surfaces before daycare hours. Which can be accomplished with a little cleaner and a cloth or paper towel. So that sounds reasonable to me. If the ADA defines a food allergy as a disability why is this any different than a child who needs OT at daycare? If it's a disability we are supposed to reasonably accommodate it.

And I have a son with an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. We are very very strict with him and we homeshool so I am saying this as a parent of a food allergy child and as a provider. I am not relaxed about my son's food allergy, we take it very seriously. But I do think it can be accommodated in a home daycare and since food allergies are on the rise and since 6% of children have a food allergy I think it would be good to learn how to handle this.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Just passing along info from the other thread. BC had originally thought the same as what you say but then after reading more into it, and the fact the ADA does specify private daycare centers she re-thought and said maybe we are required to provide reasonable accommodation. (BC chime in here, I apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth).

Now what reasonable accommodation is to the ADA and legally is something that I do not know the definition of. But I highly doubt it would mean ridding your entire house of all nut products and disallowing your entire family from eating foods you enjoy. I do think however it may mean making sure nuts aren't served during daycare hours and that nut residue is cleaned from surfaces before daycare hours. Which can be accomplished with a little cleaner and a cloth or paper towel. So that sounds reasonable to me. If the ADA defines a food allergy as a disability why is this any different than a child who needs OT at daycare? If it's a disability we are supposed to reasonably accommodate it.

And I have a son with an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. We are very very strict with him and we homeshool so I am saying this as a parent of a food allergy child and as a provider. I am not relaxed about my son's food allergy, we take it very seriously. But I do think it can be accommodated in a home daycare and since food allergies are on the rise and since 6% of children have a food allergy I think it would be good to learn how to handle this.
Yes, you are correct.... the link listed in the other thread DOES include private in home child cares.

I don't know the laws completely but I think ALL family in home child cares MUST make reasonable accommodations and if they don't COULD be sued by the parent for not following ADA rules.

I think there are a lot of different variables and scenarios though that make the difference. I think it has to do with the child's 504 plan etc.

The other thread had some really good links in it with a lot more info.
Evansmom 07:40 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, you are correct.... the link listed in the other thread DOES include private in home child cares.

I don't know the laws completely but I think ALL family in home child cares MUST make reasonable accommodations and if they don't COULD be sued by the parent for not following ADA rules.

I think there are a lot of different variables and scenarios though that make the difference. I think it has to do with the child's 504 plan etc.

The other thread had some really good links in it with a lot more info.
Thanks BC!
llpa 07:43 AM 04-03-2014
Yikes! I rent a small space for my dc and my dcb has a peanut allergy. And the epi-pen is here. It is much easier for me here. I can't imagine making my home nut free. But like BC said above, you may have to. During the week, I do not handle or ingest anything that contains nuts at home just in case!!
Tags:allergies, nut allergy
Reply Up