Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Plans I Say Big Plans!
permanentvacation 05:31 PM 09-05-2015
Well, maybe not so hugely big, but enough that I'm very excited about it. I have just completed everything I needed to do to get my back yard licensed. When I moved here, the back fence was basically falling apart, so I couldn't use it for daycare. After my daughter and her dog moved here in the beginning of the summer, my ex-husband put a privacy fence in the back yard so her dog can use the back yard and my dog can use the front yard. Now that my daughter and her dog will be moving out permanently this weekend, I have been working on the other little things I need to do to be able to use the back yard for daycare. I just finished everything today!

I plan to use my back yard as my outdoor science and nature area. I have never had a specific science and nature section. I've just done little things mixed into our day regarding the two topics. But now, I plan to designate parts of my back yard just for science and nature! I can't wait to set this up!

I'm still not quite sure what all I will put in my science/nature area, but I have been collecting ideas. I live in an inside townhouse unit. My back yard is completely concrete and is now enclosed by a privacy fence. It is roughly 23 feet long by 17 feet wide. That includes the space that has my trash cans, air conditioner unit and steps leading to the house door.

So far, I have ideas like, planting plants/flowers/vegetables, allow the kids to randomly paint the fence, paint rocks to use to decorate different areas, put pine cones out back and put my sand and water table out back. I've been Googling things like 'natural playgrounds' to get ideas. I love a lot of what I've seen there, but can't afford to do too much. Keep in mind that I'm pretty much broke! So I'm doing the best that I can with very limited funds.

I'd like to see about getting some tree stumps and circular cut out pieces of trees. Although I'm not really sure where to get those from. I guess I could look for a company that cuts trees and ask if I can get stumps from them.

My yard is completely flat (no hills) and is all concrete, which means the kids have to stay on the ground, they can't have anything that would allow them to climb. Now, since it is all concrete, I will put the little bikes out back. They've been having a heck of a time trying to ride them in the grass! But the playground equipment (slides and things like that) will stay in the front yard.

Can you guys help me with any more science and nature ideas for my back yard?
nothingwithoutjoy 05:55 PM 09-05-2015
What fun. I love designing new spaces, or re-imagining old ones.

This facebook page came to mind immediately--because it often features outdoor play invitations that are on surfaces (like a patio, or something), and because she does amazing stuff with thrift-store finds and cast-offs.

I also thought of this nature table (if you've got some kind of roof cover anywhere). It struck me because of how she's got it set up outdoors (on a porch) at her entrance--so that finds from a walk have an immediate home.

If you could bring in enough nature (raised-bed or container gardening, etc), you could do stuff to invite creatures in: flowers chosen to invite butterflies, a birdbath and birdhouse, a hummingbird feeder....

I had different goals/space in mind creating it, but you might find ideas you like on my outdoor environment pinterest board.

We got our logs by befriending the guys who work for the city. We often stop on walks to watch them at work, so they know us. When they cut trees in our neighborhood, we ask them for logs.

Have fun!
permanentvacation 06:16 PM 09-05-2015
Nothingwithoutjoy,

Thank you! Those websites all have good ideas. I do feed birds every winter by just throwing birdseed out on the snow. I could look into getting a bird feeder.
permanentvacation 06:20 PM 09-05-2015
I like the idea of a nature table in the entrance way, but since my neighborhood isn't the best, I don't take my kids on walks. But for people who do, that's a neat idea.
Laurel 06:37 PM 09-05-2015
If you have a kiddie picnic table, you could do nature crafts outside. There are some really cute ideas here. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tocomplete%7C1

You can fill a styrofoam (sp?) cup with dirt and plant grass seed in it. Draw a face on the front and the grass grows and becomes hair to cut.

On the above link, there are directions for making a free standing teepee if you are handy or know someone who is. Then you could play camping. Make toilet roll binoculars, get sticks for a campfire, etc.

Kids 'love' little wagons or wheelbarrows if you see some at a garage sale.

If you have a summer rain, let the kiddies just have an umbrella and walk around outside in the rain. They totally LOVE this. Ask parents for umbrella donations. I found some kiddie ones cheap.

It's not really a nature activity but we used to decorate our patio with sidewalk chalk. Perfect for your concrete.

Laurel
Laurel 06:47 PM 09-05-2015
P.S. About the tree stumps/circular pieces of tree. I did that when we had a tree cut down in our front yard. I asked the guys to cut me some slices tall enough for the children to use as seats. I spaced them across my backyard. They absolutely loved them but they WILL climb on them so I don't think I would put them on concrete. Or you could make them shorter to use more like stepping stones. Also, when they are cut from a live tree they are extremely heavy because they still have a high water content. It took a couple of guys and they used a handtruck. They were so nice to do that for me! After several years they became very light as they dried out. After a couple of years they also could get termites but they last for a long time. They are well worth it because they were a favorite here but just some info to know. Although mine were as high as a child sized chair the children also used them as stepping stones at that height because they were close enough together.

Laurel
permanentvacation 07:11 PM 09-05-2015
Laurel,

Thank you for the ideas. I like how on the one Pinterest thing they made animals such as a lion, elephant, etc. out of fall leaves!

I did cross my mind that kids might stand on and jump or fall off of the tree stumps. Guess I'll stick to smaller pieces if I can find some.
Josiegirl 04:37 AM 09-06-2015
http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/search/label/nature
PV, you've probably seen this site before but someone had posted it on the Reggio, Waldorf board and it's an amazing site with tons of ideas!!

I was thinking back over the summer as to what the dcks liked most in the backyard. I spent tons of $$ on topsoil, compost, peat moss, plants, buckets and it all fizzled. But there were 2 things that stood out in my mind...our green bean tent was a hit and we had tree cookies(slices of logs). When the tree cookies were in a spot long enough, lots of worms and bugs collected underneath and that was so cool for the kids. I think they liked that more than anything else.

Take a walk along country roads and bring a pail or a plastic bag. Collect stuff on the ground, pieces of bark, acorns, sticks and stones, moss, whatever you can find. Go to the dollar store and buy those smooth stones and seashells. Fake flowers. They may also have plastic bugs. The dcks would have lots of fun hiding the bugs among all the stuff you gather. Use the fake flowers for painting or playing with playdough. In fact, a lot of nature stuff would make great imprints on playdough. You can paint with leaves or paint on seashells and bark. Paint with sticks. Paint the sticks and make wind chimes out of them.

http://handsonaswegrow.com/craft-for...ge-suncatcher/
I love this one! So simple for my 2 yos and I've got all the stuff.

I Love the dollar store!
Laurel 06:30 AM 09-06-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Laurel,

Thank you for the ideas. I like how on the one Pinterest thing they made animals such as a lion, elephant, etc. out of fall leaves!

I did cross my mind that kids might stand on and jump or fall off of the tree stumps. Guess I'll stick to smaller pieces if I can find some.
You're welcome!
permanentvacation 08:02 AM 09-06-2015
Josiegirl,

Thank you for the links and ideas. Yes, I bet the bugs were the most fun for the kids! Just like buying toys for babies. You spend hundreds of dollars on toys and they like the boxes best!

As I read the part in your post where you said to walk along a country road, a perfect road came to mind. There's a road not far from me that's alongside the woods. It will be perfect for me to find things like pine cones, maybe acorns (not sure what type of trees are there), leaves, sticks, etc.

I hadn't thought about doing playdough out back. I LOVE playdough! I already have some plastic animals (not bugs though) that I can take out back. When I get some more money, I can buy some bugs.

I also have been researching different ideas for homemade wind chimes and found a few ideas. I like the idea of using sticks. It sounds like the easiest to make out of the things I've seen.
permanentvacation 08:03 AM 09-06-2015
You guys are giving me some really great ideas. Thank you. Between your suggestions and the researching I've done online, I should have a really cute science and nature set up soon.
Josiegirl 10:18 AM 09-06-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You guys are giving me some really great ideas. Thank you. Between your suggestions and the researching I've done online, I should have a really cute science and nature set up soon.
Haha I clicked on the pinterest link from above and ended up spending an hour there this a.m.
But I've got tons of new ideas!
permanentvacation 02:35 PM 09-06-2015
LOL, Yep, a person could easily spend an hour or so looking at the ideas on Pinterest. I'm glad you got some new ideas.

I got a couple of things today and moved my water table to the back yard. Since I don't have money right now for this (as usual!), it's going to take a little time to get it set up the way I'd like, but at least now I have an idea of what I'd like to do and can work on it as I get some extra money.

In a couple of weeks, I think my back yard science and nature area will look really cute!

Thank you all for your help.
Laurel 05:34 PM 09-06-2015
You could send home a note asking parents for nature items. Once in a while that kind of thing works. I'd tell them interesting things from nature so they don't think they have to buy anything.
permanentvacation 06:40 PM 09-06-2015
I would rather provide everything myself.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:12 AM 09-07-2015
I love having my paints outside

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5575468&type=3

We did a potion mixing earlier this year. It was a lot of fun.
Tags:remodel
Reply Up