Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Thoughts
lovemykidstoo 06:25 AM 09-19-2012
I would love to hear everyones opinion here. This is my issue. I have a new family that started 2 weeks ago. They have a little girl 3 years old and she comes 2 days a week. I wrote before on here about how the parents just walk into the house without so much as a knock. I have an in-home daycare licensed for 6. I prefer that people knock and everyone else does. I typically have the door locked for security, however sometimes my own kids on their way to the bus and it is unlocked. They just stroll right in. The aunt picked up on Monday and she walked right through my house all the time saying that I hate to walk right in, buttttt. UGH. So that is one irritating thing. The other thing is that she didn't come today and didn't call me to tell me. I called her to see where she was and she said that oh she went to her aunts house today. She mentioned that earlier in the week, but nothing was definate. I don't know, but that seems really rude and it seems like this family doesn't respect me at all.

Also, she takes 2 naps a day at home. We talked about how hard/impossible it would be to do that here and that they would convert that to 1 nap a day to help her get used to it here. They have not done that. It is a struggle to get her to nap here for any length of time.

Am I looking too deep into this? Oh forgot to add that it was due to my daycare that she got sick too.
rhymia1 06:40 AM 09-19-2012
I don't know, none of my parents knock and I prefer they walk in. BUT they walk into my foyer, get the kids set and leave. They are not walking through my house. I had "knockers" when I first started and it was annoying as I was usually mid diaper change when it happened. So for me, not an issue. But if it really bothers you, you can always say nicely "I would prefer you knock when you come, and wait to be let in. Often I am in the middle of something which makes it hard to give you my direct attention. This way, I can stop what I am doing and come greet you/your child. Thanks!" If it's for pick up time, you can always say that you prefer they knock because it allows you to more easily switch things up and get the children ready to go. And then make sure the door is locked! If it mostly is locked they will get into the habit faster.

I need to know for sure when children will be here and if I am unsure I will call the night before. I don't allow "waffling" they need to let me know so I can plan for the day. This is why I prefer a phone call or face to face because I can be direct and firm (if needed). I had this issue when I first started. Had a field trip planned, and could not get intouch with the family. Finally, at 10:30 we left. As we were driving away they were pulling in. I did not turn around. It never happened again.

I don't think either of these issues are major and hope you can work out a satisfactory arrangment.
lovemykidstoo 06:44 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I don't know, none of my parents knock and I prefer they walk in. BUT they walk into my foyer, get the kids set and leave. They are not walking through my house. I had "knockers" when I first started and it was annoying as I was usually mid diaper change when it happened. So for me, not an issue. But if it really bothers you, you can always say nicely "I would prefer you knock when you come, and wait to be let in. Often I am in the middle of something which makes it hard to give you my direct attention. This way, I can stop what I am doing and come greet you/your child. Thanks!" If it's for pick up time, you can always say that you prefer they knock because it allows you to more easily switch things up and get the children ready to go. And then make sure the door is locked! If it mostly is locked they will get into the habit faster.

I need to know for sure when children will be here and if I am unsure I will call the night before. I don't allow "waffling" they need to let me know so I can plan for the day. This is why I prefer a phone call or face to face because I can be direct and firm (if needed). I had this issue when I first started. Had a field trip planned, and could not get intouch with the family. Finally, at 10:30 we left. As we were driving away they were pulling in. I did not turn around. It never happened again.

I don't think either of these issues are major and hope you can work out a satisfactory arrangment.

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is just new things for me as I've never had any of these issues with any of my families before (almost 12 years). The thing with just walking in, is that at our interview we talked about it and everyone agreed on where we would say our goodbyes. First day, they walked right into the playroom and of course the child got upset. They have to go through most of my house because I have a ranch style one story home to get to the daycare area. So obviously they are basically wandering around my house, which I don't really like. I have for the most part kept the door locked, but they keep trying the handle every single time.
littlemissmuffet 06:45 AM 09-19-2012
About not knocking - sit the entire family down and tell them that just walking in is not acceptable - that they must knock before entering. I have this written in my handbook, and when I notice a parent not giving a quick knock before walking in, I tell them right then and there to please knock first. They usually get it. The primary reason I like parents to knock is because when myself, a parent or child is in front of the door and another parent just barges in someone could be hurt. Also, it's a respect issue... who just walks into another person's house unnanounced?

Regarding not calling for lates/absents (within 20 mins of usual d/o time) - I charge $10. I call it an 'inconvenience fee'. That usually nips the problem in the bud ASAP. I have a three strikes and you're out rule with many of my minor policies such as this. Third time, the family could be termed. For MOST parents, losing an awesome daycare isn't worth being "forgetful" (rude) once they've been warned.

Finally, I don't ask my parents to put their children on my schedule, because I know at the end of the day parents are going to do what works for them... just like we providers are going to do what works for us I have had very few families over the years change their kid's schedule to mine - but somehow every kid I've ever cared for adjusts just fine to my schedule. Just keep working with the child.

Oh and when parents blame me for an illness their child picks up, when nobody else in my house is sick - I point it out. "Oh, that's funny, nobody else in my house is sick currently, so s/he must have picked it up somewhere else". If a child does get an illness from my daycare and a parent is snotty about it I just tell them "Well that's par for the course when you choose to have your child in any group care setting - better they're sick now and build an immunity than when they head off to school".
Tags:intruders, locked doors, parents - don't cooperate, parents - walking in, uninvited parents
Reply Up