Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Cut Up GRAPES For A 4 Year Old?
Loveyoustinkyface 03:48 AM 02-05-2013
Curious to know if you cut grapes in half for 4 years old. I recently had a parent come during snack time and DCB was eating grapes. DCD looked shocked when he walked in and saw him eating the grapes whole, he mentioned to me that he would prefer them to be cut in half for choking reasons. I thought a 4 year should be fine eating them whole.

Does anyone else cut up grapes for 4 year olds?
kitykids3 04:29 AM 02-05-2013
For a 4 year old?! Um, no. They have teeth and know how to take bites. I don't even cut them for my 2 year olds.

Tell dcd if he wants them cut for dck, he can come cut them up or bring some. j/k
Meyou 04:29 AM 02-05-2013
I don't but I do make a point to keep a close eye out when they eat them.
MamaBearCanada 04:38 AM 02-05-2013
No. I wouldn't much after age 2 unless they have food issues or developmental delays.
Lianne 05:09 AM 02-05-2013
I don't cut them up for most of my one year olds. I am NOT cutting up grapes for a 4yr old.

Sometime between 12-15mos, when I notice the child is capable of chewing better, I start offering them whole grapes. If they manage them, they get them whole. If they struggle, I continue to cut them up for a few more weeks then try again.
momofsix 05:13 AM 02-05-2013
As long as a child is in my care they get their grapes cut up, no matter how old they are I'm just too paranoid to take the chance ever.
I know a child that choked on a hot dog and died. So sad and so easily preventable.
VTMom 05:17 AM 02-05-2013
I have a 3 1/2 year old that I still cut grapes for. I'm too paranoid about choking. It's not worth the risk for me. I also care for a 1 and 2 year old, so I'm cutting anyway, but I think regardless, I'd still do it. I'm not sure when I'll stop. I don't even send grapes to school for my kids' snacks!

I know a lot of people do offer whole grapes at a younger age. It's just not for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
canadiancare 05:24 AM 02-05-2013
I rarely serve grapes because I can't keep up with their eating with my cutting....I also cut up any sausage type food. My friend is a nurse who treated without success an 8 year old girl who had a piece of hotdog in her throat. I can't get that story out of my mind so I quarter everything.
bunnyslippers 05:30 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
As long as a child is in my care they get their grapes cut up, no matter how old they are I'm just too paranoid to take the chance ever.
I know a child that choked on a hot dog and died. So sad and so easily preventable.
This! I feel like the time it takes to cut them is worth it ~ I would never want to risk it for even a second!
lovemykidstoo 05:56 AM 02-05-2013
I cut them in half for that age and I actually cut them in quarters for under 2. Whole grapes for under 2 are not recommended. I've read that many times. Definate choking hazard. It takes seconds to cut a grape in half. I had a 3 year old choke on apple pieces once. I mean I cut them up in little tiny pieces but she must have had a few in there at once. I mean she was CHOKING. She was not taking in air at all. I did my move on her and it worked thank God. It's not worth the chance. I did have a mom one time tell me that I should skin the grapes to ward off choking. Yea, have you ever tried to skin a grape? UGH!
Willow 06:04 AM 02-05-2013

I do and feel the same way.

If God forbid anything like that were to happen to a child in my care I would need to know I did everything I could to have prevented it.
LK5kids 06:06 AM 02-05-2013
I always halved grapes for kids under five. They are on the top ten choking foods for kids four and under. They are not much smaller than a hot dog and a hot dog about is about the same size a young grade school child's throat.

Hot dogs freak me out! I'd cut them in fourths for sure!
LK5kids 06:07 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I rarely serve grapes because I can't keep up with their eating with my cutting....I also cut up any sausage type food. My friend is a nurse who treated without success an 8 year old girl who had a piece of hotdog in her throat. I can't get that story out of my mind so I quarter everything.
I would quarter hot dogs also!
JenNJ 06:17 AM 02-05-2013
I don't serve grapes at all. Or hot dogs. Just not worth the risk to me.

But my son is 6.5, my daughter 4 and I still cut there grapes and hot dogs. It takes me a minute and may prevent a tragic accident.

I can understand 100% why the dcd was surprised and prefers it be cut. Honestly I would be too. There is a list of foods I do NOT serve simply because they pose a choking hazard.

From the AAP website:
"Hot dogs are the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children.12 A hot dog shares the physical characteristics described above for high-risk toys. It is cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible, which allows it to wedge tightly into a child's hypopharynx and completely occlude the airway. Other high-risk foods include hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages. 12 Many of these foods, such as round candy, grapes, marshmallows, and meat sticks/sausages, share the same high-risk physical characteristics that create effective plugs for the pediatric airway. Similar to latex balloons, peanut butter can conform to the airway and form a tenacious seal that is difficult to dislodge or extract."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...125/3/601.full
Luna 06:23 AM 02-05-2013
I cut up everyone's grapes. I cut a lot at once so I don't have to keep doing it throughout the meal. I keep any leftovers in a ziplock or a sealed bowl until the next day. No choking on my watch!
littlemissmuffet 06:41 AM 02-05-2013
To those who don't think it's necessary to cut up grapes for a 4 year old... I know of TWO 4-5 year olds who have choked on whole grapes! If you don't want to take the time to cut them, don't serve them.
Play Care 06:43 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I cut up everyone's grapes. I cut a lot at once so I don't have to keep doing it throughout the meal. I keep any leftovers in a ziplock or a sealed bowl until the next day. No choking on my watch!
I do this as well. I did stop cutting my own kids grapes if I send them to school because older dd asked, but I did warn her that she needed to sit and chew carefully.
Country Kids 06:54 AM 02-05-2013
Before this gets into a HUGE debate on if a child can choke on grapes, the bottom line is anything that goes into anyones mouth (child/adult) is a choking hazard.

I have seen grown adults choke while drinking water, I have seen children choke while eating mashed potatos. If it goes in your mouth, there is the possibility of choking.

One of the dck's on parents watch, chocked on a pea and it came up through the nose!!!!

Now, back to the original question: do you cut up grapes for a four year old.

My answer: No
littlemissmuffet 06:56 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Before this gets into a HUGE debate on if a child can choke on grapes, the bottom line is anything that goes into anyones mouth (child/adult) is a choking hazard.

I have seen grown adults choke while drinking water, I have seen children choke while eating mashed potatos. If it goes in your mouth, there is the possibility of choking.

One of the dck's on parents watch, chocked on a pea and it came up through the nose!!!!

Now, back to the original question: do you cut up grapes for a four year old.

My answer: No
True, but when something is a very obvious cause of choking - like grapes and hotdogs - why would you even risk it?
nannyde 06:59 AM 02-05-2013
I would never give a child under five a whole grape. It's like the number two choke food in america IIRC. (hot dogs are number one)

When we have grapes I destem and clean them and pop them in the freezer a couple hours before they are served. Right before they go to the kids I pop them in my food processor and do a couple of rounds of zipping them (ten seconds or so) and then pour them into a serving dish. I serve them like chunky applesauce.

The kids love the frosty treat and it eliminates the cutting them into quarters or eights. Half cuts are just as dangerous as whole cuts. Half cuts form a perfect plug in their airway and it's hard to get them out.

Simple solution and the time cost is just cleaning the food processor. Rinse and pop in dishwasher.
Lianne 07:07 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
To those who don't think it's necessary to cut up grapes for a 4 year old... I know of TWO 4-5 year olds who have choked on whole grapes! If you don't want to take the time to cut them, don't serve them.
And I know five hundred and ninety-two children 4-5 year olds and younger who have never choked on a grape....

But thanks for assuming I'm too lazy to take the time to cut up grapes for children with a full mouth of teeth instead of TEACHING them to eat them properly without choking. Oh, and I have a mother. I don't need someone telling me, as an adult, to stop serving something in my own home.

If you want to cut up grapes for the children in your home, great. Have at it. I choose not to, in my home. Great again.
Country Kids 07:08 AM 02-05-2013
True, but when something is a very obvious cause of choking - like grapes and hotdogs - why would you even risk it?
I figure every time they sit down to eat a meal, no matter what there is on the plate is a risk.

Not that I go into super overdrive on it but I know that what ever is on the plate, the child might not chew right/not swallow right/inhale if they start to cough/whatever.

Eating is just a risk in its self-everything is an obvious risk.
Willow 07:10 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

When we have grapes I destem and clean them and pop them in the freezer a couple hours before they are served. Right before they go to the kids I pop them in my food processor and do a couple of rounds of zipping them (ten seconds or so) and then pour them into a serving dish. I serve them like chunky applesauce.

Stealing this idea and going to try it today!!! Could even play them off as a dessert maybe??!

Absolutely love love LOVE it and I think my dc kids will too!!!!!!!!!
mema 07:13 AM 02-05-2013
I quarter them for all dck's.
makap 07:35 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
And I know five hundred and ninety-two children 4-5 year olds and younger who have never choked on a grape....

But thanks for assuming I'm too lazy to take the time to cut up grapes for children with a full mouth of teeth instead of TEACHING them to eat them properly without choking. Oh, and I have a mother. I don't need someone telling me, as an adult, to stop serving something in my own home.

If you want to cut up grapes for the children in your home, great. Have at it. I choose not to, in my home. Great again.

So even with you knowing that this is a safety risk? A possible choking hazzard?? You would take the risk?
makap 07:43 AM 02-05-2013
I cut up everything! No way in H*** is anything EVER going to happen to a child in my care if I can take the steps to prevent it in any way possible!!!

Cause of death of girl confirmed as choking
http://mankatofreepress.com/local/x6...med-as-choking

Choking deaths are alarmingly high, new study says
http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...lizations.html

Choking Is a Leading Cause of Injury and Death Among Children
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0226212559.htm

Child Dies After Choking on Grape at MN Daycare
http://childaccidentlawyer.com/2010/...-daycare-dies/
LK5kids 07:50 AM 02-05-2013
I would never give a child under five a whole grape. It's like the number two choke food in america IIRC. (hot dogs are number one)

The kids love the frosty treat and it eliminates the cutting them into quarters or eights. Half cuts are just as dangerous as whole cuts. Half cuts form a perfect plug in their airway and it's hard to get them out.

Simple solution and the time cost is just cleaning the food processor. Rinse and pop in dishwasher.
Yikes!!!! I won't be serving halved grapes either. I'll try the freeze and blend method!
LK5kids 07:51 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I don't serve grapes at all. Or hot dogs. Just not worth the risk to me.

But my son is 6.5, my daughter 4 and I still cut there grapes and hot dogs. It takes me a minute and may prevent a tragic accident.

I can understand 100% why the dcd was surprised and prefers it be cut. Honestly I would be too. There is a list of foods I do NOT serve simply because they pose a choking hazard.

From the AAP website:
"Hot dogs are the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children.12 A hot dog shares the physical characteristics described above for high-risk toys. It is cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible, which allows it to wedge tightly into a child's hypopharynx and completely occlude the airway. Other high-risk foods include hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages. 12 Many of these foods, such as round candy, grapes, marshmallows, and meat sticks/sausages, share the same high-risk physical characteristics that create effective plugs for the pediatric airway. Similar to latex balloons, peanut butter can conform to the airway and form a tenacious seal that is difficult to dislodge or extract."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...125/3/601.full

No, I don't serve hot dogs either!
Lianne 07:53 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by makap:

So even with you knowing that this is a safety risk? A possible choking hazzard?? You would risk a child's life????????

I feel that's a little dramatic. Actually, a lot dramatic.

A child can choke on water and die from it. So, do I stop serving water?

Taking a child for a walk can be dangerous. A car/driver can lose control and crash into us while walking. Do I stop taking children outside?

A child can drown in a bathtub, even when properly supervised. Do I stop bathing children?

A child could trip on a toy, fall and bag his head, causing a concussion that results in death. Do we not allow toys to be played with on the floor?

Life is one big safety risk and rather than living in fear, I prefer to teach the children in my care how to co-exist with safety risks and that includes eating whole grapes.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 02-05-2013

So even with you knowing that this is a safety risk? A possible choking hazzard?? You would take the risk?
There are LOTS of things that are safety risks that we still do. We just do them with caution.

It isn't like she is letting her daycare kids play with knives and praying they don't get cut.

I personally cut the grapes in half IF I think the child in question (no matter their age) is not capable or developmentally not able to chew properly.

I have 3 yr olds that eat with fantastic table manners, use silverware appropriately and chew with their mouths closed while sitting correctly at the table.

I have 5 yr olds who can't sit still while at the table, stuff their mouths full, hardly chew anything and think meal time is a race to the death.

Guess who gets their grapes cut up?

For me it is about knowing each child and knowing what they are capable of doing. It is also about teaching them to eat properly and exposing them to things that could be potential hazards but cannot be ignored unless they plan on never eating grapes in their life times.
Lianne 07:55 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For me it is about knowing each child and knowing what they are capable of doing. It is also about teaching them to eat properly and exposing them to things that could be potential hazards but cannot be ignored unless they plan on never eating grapes in their life times.
I agree with this statement 100%
CedarCreek 08:00 AM 02-05-2013
There are LOTS of things that are safety risks that we still do. We just do them with caution.

It isn't like she is letting her daycare kids play with knives and praying they don't get cut.

I personally cut the grapes in half IF I think the child in question (no matter their age) is not capable or developmentally not able to chew properly.

I have 3 yr olds that eat with fantastic table manners, use silverware appropriately and chew with their mouths closed while sitting correctly at the table.

I have 5 yr olds who can't sit still while at the table, stuff their mouths full, hardly chew anything and think meal time is a race to the death.

Everything here
Country Kids 08:01 AM 02-05-2013
A list of choking hazard that you probably never thought of. This list I found is quiet intereting.

1.grapes
2.blueberries
3.hot dog pieces
4.Kix or other round cereal puffs
5.Skittles, M&Ms, or round candy pieces (not that you’re giving it to your baby but if someone else is enjoying them, they are likely to find them around somewhere)

6.ball bearings (like in Magnetix or MagneBlocks)
7.marbles (in several kids’ games)
8.Rokenbok balls
9.Lego heads, wheels, and tires
10.stringing beads (or beads on little girls’ accessories)

Other than small round things, here are my other top chokers at mealtime until the kids can chew well:
1.bread
2.bagels
3.chicken nuggets
4.chips or crispy things
5.popcorn, rice cakes, or flaky things
6.wheat thins or hard crackers
7.peanut butter
8.banana (have to keep it in small bits)
9.apple pieces
10.carrots
11.cut up steak, chicken or stringy things
Willow 08:12 AM 02-05-2013

Child Dies After Choking on Grape at MN Daycare
http://childaccidentlawyer.com/2010/...-daycare-dies/

Birdwalk.....I remember when this happened.

The scariest part was that no one there knew what to do and then wasted precious time by calling the child's parents to discuss the situation instead of immediately dialing 911. This was a CENTER for criminey's sake so it wasn't even like a fluster on one home providers part, there were multiple people that failed this child.

My licensor sent out an email afterward detailing not only what went wrong but encouraging us to express to our parents smack dab in our policies that in an emergency 911 will always be called first. If you're questioning if it's an emergency it is DEFINITELY an emergency. Don't ever second guess yourself.

When a child chokes (my Red Cross classes emphasize it's not *if* a child ever chokes in your care it's a just a matter of *when*) you have less than a minute to clear the airway. Why anyone would ever think to sit down and call the parents in that minute is absolutely beyond my comprehension.....
daycarediva 08:19 AM 02-05-2013
Not worth the risk.
canadiancare 08:30 AM 02-05-2013
as an aside I also don't allow scarves here. The kids have to wear neck warmers instead because of strangulation issues while playing. I am an overly cautious person.
Meyou 08:46 AM 02-05-2013
Everyone should know what to do in case of choking. One of my dd's choked when she was 3 on pita bread. If I hadn't have known how to do the Heimlich she would have died. My dad panicked and ran for "help"...I still shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't there.
countrymom 09:06 AM 02-05-2013
there is no right or wrong answer. You need to do it BASED ON THE CHILD. I sometimes cut and sometimes not, depends on the child and the grape (big or small) but I think some of you are going over board, they can choke on anything and everything. So do you eliminate all your food or toys, I don't think so. And also, its funny how some of you are freaking over grapes and saying that parents do so much for kids and don't teach them how to do stuff and yet many of you go and cut up grapes for the older children, thats a bit contradicting don't you think. And if you are so afraid of children choking, then maybe this isn't the profession for you because this is a job that you need to be level headed and calm when things happen and know how to do the hymlic manouver. Oh my odd choked on a pretzel at a fair and all the people around her were in full panic mood. She was sitting down and eating and it went down the wrong way. I didn't stop her from eating them, we let her know that she needs to chew better.
kitykids3 09:07 AM 02-05-2013
Really? You're going to tell me not to serve a particular food in my own business and home? Yeah right. It's not against the law to serve them. I know they are a higher choking hazard than other foods, but I also teach my kids to sit nice and take little bites. 4 year olds that can eat properly with a full mouth of teeth can handle taking bites of grapes. If they were ones to stuff their mouths full or fool around while eating, then that would be different. Are we supposed to keep kids from risks forever?
kitykids3 09:08 AM 02-05-2013

ditto
Crazy In Mo 09:11 AM 02-05-2013
It all depends on the child. But I can't remember the last time I cut grapes for a 4 year old
Play Care 09:25 AM 02-05-2013
Well, then

For me it comes down to that lovely word LIABILITY. What I might do with my own kids (feed whole grapes or popcorn or hotdogs) is probably NOT something I'd do with dc kids. I am one who quarters grapes for all children under 5. In a perfect world I would love to sit and eat with then while modeling slow eating, reminding them to chew, etc. But in the real world, I'm cleaning up a spilled drink, helping someone pick their napkin back up, etc. etc. And I do understand that their are risks to everything in life, but this is one case where I can minimize the risk, easily.
I also make all the kids wear bike helmets on *any* toy that has wheels. By law here they have to for scooters and actual bikes, but I do it for hot wheels and the little tikes bikes/ride on toys too. Some parents have told me it's overkill, and we can't keep them in a bubble BUT I have had kids fall off those "little" toys and smack their noggins on the concrete Thank goodness for helmets!
In my mind, they can bang their skulls on their parents watch
canadiancare 09:39 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Well, then

For me it comes down to that lovely word LIABILITY. What I might do with my own kids (feed whole grapes or popcorn or hotdogs) is probably NOT something I'd do with dc kids. I am one who quarters grapes for all children under 5. In a perfect world I would love to sit and eat with then while modeling slow eating, reminding them to chew, etc. But in the real world, I'm cleaning up a spilled drink, helping someone pick their napkin back up, etc. etc. And I do understand that their are risks to everything in life, but this is one case where I can minimize the risk, easily.
I also make all the kids wear bike helmets on *any* toy that has wheels. By law here they have to for scooters and actual bikes, but I do it for hot wheels and the little tikes bikes/ride on toys too. Some parents have told me it's overkill, and we can't keep them in a bubble BUT I have had kids fall off those "little" toys and smack their noggins on the concrete Thank goodness for helmets!
That is also good habit forming. Get them used to wearing helmets and you are modeling appropriate behaviour.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 02-05-2013
Well, then

I agree.

I do my very best to reduce the risk of ANY injury. Grapes is something I can very easily accomodate/fix by cutting. (I don't serve hot dogs ever) etc. And all of my kids wear helmets on wheel 'bikes'. (they like it here!)
Willow 09:41 AM 02-05-2013
Well, then

Fantastic post!

The liability issue alone is reason enough that no one should ever fear being pegged as "going overboard"......short of pureeing everything and wrapping each child in bubble wrap when they walk in the front door of course
MissAnn 09:55 AM 02-05-2013

Stealing this! All ages like them?
jokalima 10:29 AM 02-05-2013
I rarely serve grapes because of this same reason, I don't like to be cutting them but if I do, all of my kids including the 4.5 yr old gets them cut. If I can avoid any serious problems while they are under my care I will, I also cut the hot dogs in ti small squares. I cut almost every fruit in the planet for them

I am reading how some of you give whole grapes to children under 2, I just can't visualize myself doing that, I am to paranoid . Even if I see a parent next to me @ a restaurant doing it I will not be able to take my eyes off that child.

I have a 2.5 yr old and I don't give him grapes or popcorn
Unregistered 11:03 AM 02-05-2013
Grapes are currently $3.50 a pound in my neck of the woods so....... not even an issue at the moment.
That being said, I was cutting up blueberries this morning.
I have more than one that haven't figured out what those small white hard things in their mouths are for.
Twinvillageiowa 11:24 AM 02-05-2013

I'm sorry, but that sounds disgusting!!!!! Good for you if you can get them to eat them that way but that texture just sounds awful.
nannyde 11:28 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Stealing this! All ages like them?
I only have birth to five so I don't know about school agers but the youngins love them. Grapes are so high in sugar. They love themselves a little sweet.
nannyde 11:30 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Twinvillageiowa:
I'm sorry, but that sounds disgusting!!!!! Good for you if you can get them to eat them that way but that texture just sounds awful.
If it would make you sick making it then it wouldn't be a great trick for you. My littles dig it.
Twinvillageiowa 11:37 AM 02-05-2013
If it would make you sick making it then it wouldn't be a great trick for you. My littles dig it.
Don't the skins separate and get all clumpy and gross?
kendallina 11:41 AM 02-05-2013
Nannyde...a little grape smoothie sounds delicious!

I do not typically cut up children's grapes when they're that age, but I also never serve them myself. If the parents send them in their lunchbox (only my pre-kinders stay for lunch, no younger ones), then I let them eat them whole. However, I do have one child who I have forbidden for mom to send her with grapes as she will put two in her mouth EVERY TIME. Drives me nuts and scares me!
allsmiles 11:42 AM 02-05-2013
no i dont cut up grapes for kids that old.. i have a 30 mnth old and his mom cuts his grapes though..
MyAngels 11:43 AM 02-05-2013
There's a list of quite a few foods that are not to be served to the under 2s in my state's licensing standards that includes both hot dogs and whole grapes, so I just eliminate those from my menus for all ages. I'm not particularly a Nervous Nelly, but it's just easier to not serve them at all.
My3cents 11:46 AM 02-05-2013
sometimes I do. Depends on how I am feeling that day or if the child is a choker type kid, or how big the grapes are. Some grapes are huge.
nannyde 11:48 AM 02-05-2013
Don't the skins separate and get all clumpy and gross?
The texture of the skin depends on how great your zipper is and how full the container is. I have a really good processor so I can liquify if I want. I just do about ten seconds of zipitacious and they end up being the consistency of chunky applesauce.

I've tried partially frozen and just from the fridge. I like the partially frozen. I do it a minute before serving so it goes from zipper to bowl. Kids scarf it and lick the bowls.
lovemykidstoo 11:49 AM 02-05-2013
I already posted what I do for my kids (cut in 1/2, cut in quarters for under 2), but I wanted to add because what has been posted since that EVERY food can be a choking hazard. LIke someone else said, adults choke too on food. We don't need our food cut up. The dck that choked here and I had to do a rescue on her, choked on apples. I already posted that, but wanted to add to it. I HAD cut up the apples in very very small pieces and if she would have ate 1 at a time, she probably would have been fine, but she obviously put more in her mouth than 1 pice because when she threw up on the floor after I did the heimlich on her there was alot on the floor. My point is you can chop it up as little as you want, but if they put more in their mouth it becomes a choking hazard. So, use caution, cut when you think you need to and most importanly, watch the children while they eat, know what to do if they choke! That is critical! When it happened here, I whipped that girl out of her booster chair and got it out right away thank God. After I knew she was okay, I went in the front room and cried! Luckily I work great under pressure and didn't panic. I was calm and cool during the episode, it was after that I fell apart
Childminder 11:50 AM 02-05-2013
If any of you are on the food program here is a link to the recommendation from them:
My3cents 11:57 AM 02-05-2013
I don't just cut them in half, I cut them again and if they are huge I will cut them again. I guess habit and from having to do this for the 2 and younger crowd, the 4's just get them sliced up too.

I will have to try the puree deal as something different. Sounds good. Right now grapes are very high priced so it is not something I buy often. If I do get them I buy them at wholesale place, Cosco, BJ's or Sam's club- They are better looking then what is in the grocery store.

I am big on if I think they can choke on something why chance it. Cutting something up is not that much work to do.
Meyou 12:04 PM 02-05-2013
Frozen grapes are actually super duper tasty! I tried an idea of pinterest last summer and my kiddies went crazy for them. My own older kids eat them right out of the freezer in the summer. We were all surprised at how yummy they are. The texture is fine...I may even like them better than unfrozen grapes.
lovemykidstoo 12:17 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Frozen grapes are actually super duper tasty! I tried an idea of pinterest last summer and my kiddies went crazy for them. My own older kids eat them right out of the freezer in the summer. We were all surprised at how yummy they are. The texture is fine...I may even like them better than unfrozen grapes.
As part of my whole "eating healthy" plan for myself, I found out quickly that frozen grapes are sooooo good and a treat for me!
Meyou 12:19 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
As part of my whole "eating healthy" plan for myself, I found out quickly that frozen grapes are sooooo good and a treat for me!
Haha! Me too! They're seriously as good as candy if you're in the mood for something cold.
saved4always 12:22 PM 02-05-2013
I would definitely cut them for a 4 year old. Of course, I am super duper aftraid of children choking in my care. My daughter is 10 yo (almost 11) and, if the grapes I buy are "huge", I still cut them for her because of my extreme nervousness about choking. I know. I am a freak. So I may not be the best judge of whether a 4 yo actually "needs" the grapes cut up.

I am so paranoid with my dd because, when she was 2 or 3, she ate a fruit roll up all at once when I was not paying enough attention. It got balled up in her throat and she was choking. I called 911 because I was so scared. I was able to sweep it out of her throat with my finger before the paramedics arrived, but that terrified me. Ever since then, chokable foods make me so nervous.
saved4always 12:26 PM 02-05-2013
Our pediatrician warned us about hot dogs years ago when we had our fist child. I pretty much pulverize hot dogs for any kids because of things like that happening. Although (referring to my post above), I do let my 10 yo eat hot dogs whole...it is just the grapes that still make me paranoid with her.
saved4always 12:40 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Fantastic post!

The liability issue alone is reason enough that no one should ever fear being pegged as "going overboard"......short of pureeing everything and wrapping each child in bubble wrap when they walk in the front door of course
Oh, how I sometimes wish I could just wrap them in bubble wrap. So much better for my own peace of mind. I see danger everywhere. My husband, on the other hand, has a very long leash....together, we are probably normal.
Angelsj 07:25 PM 02-05-2013
I always cut grapes, hot dogs, etc. Anything with a somewhat tough outer skin that is round or hard to chew (baby carrots get slivered too.)
However, knowing what to do is important as well. I have had children choke on bananas, grapes, pizza cheese, a hard candy stolen from someone else's restaurant table, a pretzel bite, a chunk of steak, a cheese cube, etc, etc...
And the kids range in age from a 2 yo to a 12 yo. It can happen anytime to anyone.
We do the best we can, and know how to recognize choking, and what to do if it happens.
blandino 07:43 PM 02-05-2013
I was grocery shopping for the daycare tonight - and I picked up the grapes and then put them back

On a side note, I cut grapes in two (smaller than that for the littler ones). I do serve hot dogs, but cut them down the middle and put them on a bun. And for under 18m, I dice them.
snips&snails 07:52 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as an aside I also don't allow scarves here. The kids have to wear neck warmers instead because of strangulation issues while playing. I am an overly cautious person
Thank you!!!!!!!! I thought it was just me!!!

I have always started serving whole grapes at 3 just like in our centers but they make me nervous and after this thread I for one am going back to cutting them. I NEVER serve hot dogs, they are just chemical crap anyway plus I know of a doctor that watched his 4 year old choke to death on a hotdog & could not save him.

Sure - you can choke on anthing but WHY do people feel the need to prove a point by not cutting certain foods??? There is a list of dangerous foods for a reason - these foods are the size & shape to lodge easily in a child's windpipe & be extremely difficult to remove via heimlich etc.
blandino 08:20 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:

I have always started serving whole grapes at 3 just like in our centers but they make me nervous and after this thread I for one am going back to cutting them. I NEVER serve hot dogs, they are just chemical crap anyway plus I know of a doctor that watched his 4 year old choke to death on a hotdog & could not save him.

Sure - you can choke on anthing but WHY do people feel the need to prove a point by not cutting certain foods??? There is a list of dangerous foods for a reason - these foods are the size & shape to lodge easily in a child's windpipe & be extremely difficult to remove via heimlich etc.
There are nitrate free, angus beef hotdogs that my kids LOVE.
littlemissmuffet 08:30 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:

Took the words right from my mouth... thank you!

Oh, and Lianne... you can loose the snarky attitude.
Candy 09:29 PM 02-05-2013
No I do not. If i don't think they can eat a whole one then they don't get one at all.
Angelsj 05:01 AM 02-06-2013
[/b]

One, it is LOSE. Lose the attitude; you have a loose tie.
More importantly, you get to have an opinion, but why do you get to tell another poster what attitude to have?
countrymom 05:55 AM 02-06-2013
[/b]

I have to agree with lianne, if you don't have common sense then you are in the wrong job field and its time to look elsewhere. Because children and adults can choke on anything.
Francine 06:10 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
This! I feel like the time it takes to cut them is worth it ~ I would never want to risk it for even a second!
ME TOO! I always cut them at least in half.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 02-06-2013
....I can already see this one heading in the wrong direction.

I surely hope we can all just agree to disagree......
lovemykidstoo 06:23 AM 02-06-2013
....I can already see this one heading in the wrong direction.

I surely hope we can all just agree to disagree......
I couldn't agree more.
bunnyslippers 09:29 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I couldn't agree more.
It certainly seems that the longer the thread, the snippier the responses. I think we all have winter blahs
My3cents 09:53 AM 02-06-2013
someone should do a poll on this. I don't know how to do a poll or I would

1) Do you serve grapes whole
2) Do you cut them in half
3) Do you cut them in quarters or more
4) Do you not serve them at all

1) Do you cut them for all ages
2) Do you cut them for the two and under crowd and the easy chokers
Country Kids 09:58 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
someone should do a poll on this. I don't know how to do a poll or I would

1) Do you serve grapes whole
2) Do you cut them in half
3) Do you cut them in quarters or more
4) Do you not serve them at all

1) Do you cut them for all ages
2) Do you cut them for the two and under crowd and the easy chokers

This is a good idea but I think the grape thread has beens squished to death.

I think its time to put it to bed and realize we are all different and we need to do whats BEST for our own situation.

It really saddens me that to see when someone asks a question, how many people get their panties in a bunch because people don't do it the way they do.

Remember we are all grown women, not the children that we take care of.
My3cents 10:39 AM 02-06-2013
This is a good idea but I think the grape thread has beens squished to death.

I think its time to put it to bed and realize we are all different and we need to do whats BEST for our own situation.

It really saddens me that to see when someone asks a question, how many people get their panties in a bunch because people don't do it the way they do.

Remember we are all grown women, not the children that we take care of.
i
I don't care about the debate part of this. I am curious to know the results. Plus if this debate was not had I never would have got the idea for trying something new with my bunch, the grape puree. Hoping someone can do a poll.
littlemissmuffet 10:42 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have to agree with lianne, if you don't have common sense then you are in the wrong job field and its time to look elsewhere. Because children and adults can choke on anything.
I have plenty of common sense, thanks. I am one of the only providers on this board who doesn't have issues with payment, disrespectful parents, wild children, etc because I actually know how to operate a business. But I guess I'm doing something wrong because I think taking 2 minutes to chop up grapes for older kids is worth not risking them choking.
Gimmie a break.
Country Kids 10:58 AM 02-06-2013
Ladies, is there anyway we can take a break from this-anyway!!!??

Seriously, its ridiculous with this bickering back and forth, back and forth.

NO ONE is perfect, and NO ONE is going to do things exactly the way someone else is going to unless you are a clone.

Is there anyway we as ADULTS can be supportive of one another-is that possible.

I think we need to come back down to earth, getting our heads out of the clouds and realize in the end, if you can't say something nice/play nice/just be a civillian human being-then please stay out of the sandbox-
lovemykidstoo 11:02 AM 02-06-2013
Ladies, is there anyway we can take a break from this-anyway!!!??

Seriously, its ridiculous with this bickering back and forth, back and forth.

NO ONE is perfect, and NO ONE is going to do things exactly the way someone else is going to unless you are a clone.

Is there anyway we as ADULTS can be supportive of one another-is that possible.

I think we need to come back down to earth, getting our heads out of the clouds and realize in the end, if you can't say something nice/play nice/just be a civillian human being-then please stay out of the sandbox-
I agree. Enough of the tit for tat. Geez ladies. And on that note, I"m done with this thread.
Blackcat31 11:13 AM 02-06-2013
and with that

Closed Thread Up