Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh Boy- This is Timing!
lupiegirl81 06:07 AM 08-18-2011
I have been wanting to close my daycare for quite sometime because of stress and burnout, but wanted to wait until I finished school. I've been running my daycare for almost 12 years now and I am ready to join the outside world so to speak.

It's been fairly stressful for the last two years and now that school is back in session I have found myself with a very small and manageable amount of children. The DCK's I have right now are the best bunch I've ever had! I have been sending my resume out to various companies in search of a job within my degree but it was more to find what my options were. I got a call and had an interview and now job offer. I didn't think I would get this so quickly and now here is my dillema:

The job is almost a lateral move, but the hours are fantastic! (8 hour shift vs the 11 1/2 hours I work per day now!). The job is in my field of interest (working with autistic children), and is a wonderful stepping stone to my career goals. The only problem is that the pay would be exactly the same as I am making now.

I feel Horrible though because I have become so attached to the kids I am watching now and one of them will be leaving for good in October because his mommy is pregnant and not going back to work. This means that I will be making even less if I stay with the daycare. I would hate to quit on them with only 6 weeks left for the one DCB but at the same time I don't want to pass up this job opportunity that will be a great asset for my future career goals, not to mention the fantastic hours.

What would you do in this situation? I know that it is my business and my ultimate decision but I really feel stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one!
CheekyChick 06:10 AM 08-18-2011
In my opinion, it's time to move on. It's clear you want to head in a different direction and you have an awesome opportunity. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 08-18-2011
take the job. take it, take it, take it. It sounds perfect and you will be making more money for your time--8 hrs vs 11.5 hours IS more $$, and you're losing a boy for sure. Takeit; I don't think you'll regret it.
safechner 06:25 AM 08-18-2011
I would take that job because it is nicer to have less hours than 11 1/2 hours per day. I know it is hard to leave your daycare kids but you would need to think what is the best for YOU!
wdmmom 06:29 AM 08-18-2011
I'd take am 8 hour day over an 11 hour day anytime!

Do they offer any incentives: paid holidays, vacation right away, paid holidays, etc?

Is there room to grow and expand in this field or is there an option for advancement in position or rate of pay?

Health insurance?

Weigh out the pros and cons but based on what you said about being burned out, I'd take the job and see where it'll take you!
SimpleMom 06:34 AM 08-18-2011
Take the job!! Congratulations))) Yay!!
lupiegirl81 06:37 AM 08-18-2011
It does, PTO starts accruing the day I begin, they offer health and dental, double time for holidays, etc. The room for growth is there, the original position I applied for isn't the position they are giving me, they are giving me a higher position because of my experience. I was also told that once I get my Master's Degree I will be placed in one of the highest positions in the company. I can definitely see where I should not pass this up! The best part is I managed to stay home long enough that my oldest daughter can be left alone after school for an hour before I get home and I'll be home before my youngest gets off the bus which means NO DAYCARE fees! And, the job is only 15 minutes from my house!! Thank you ladies for your input! I agree 8 hours is way better than 11.5 and I can now put my kids in extra curricular activities that I couldn't before because I worked too late to get them there!
Mom&Provider 09:52 AM 08-18-2011
I wouldn't think twice, especially since you have already decided it's time anyway...move on! Congrats on the job offer!
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by lupiegirl81:
I have been wanting to close my daycare for quite sometime because of stress and burnout,

I am ready to join the outside world so to speak.

the hours are fantastic!

The job is in my field of interest (working with autistic children), and is a wonderful stepping stone to my career goals.

I don't want to pass up this job opportunity that will be a great asset for my future career goals!
My work here is done....
Tags:career, positive
Reply Up