Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Term A Non-Napping Child?
Unregistered 01:11 PM 01-21-2015
I've recently gone back to school to finish my degree. During our 2 hour nap time, I sit quietly in the nap room and read my textbooks. Until recently, this was never a problem, as I have a group of solid sleepers that would easily sleep longer than the 2 hours if I let them. Recently, the 9m DCG decided she doesn't want to go down for nap time, and screams the entire time until I get her out. I've sat on the other side of her bed to be just out of her sight...that doesn't help. I've tried CIO...that just wakes the others. I never give in to her right away. There is nothing wrong. She just wants out of her crib to play. Has anyone had an infant like this? Any tips? Will this get better? I don't know if I should wait it out a bit, or just let her go? I need nap time back to have my break time and get caught up on reading.
permanentvacation 01:28 PM 01-21-2015
I have had many non-napping babies lately. We actually discussed this issue on this forum fairly recently.

I would say that you need to do what's best for you. If you really need nap time to study and can afford to terminate the baby, then maybe that's what you need to do.

If you can take the time to try to figure the baby out and try different things to get the baby to sleep during nap time, then I would say to work on figuring the baby out. Maybe you can put the baby in a room by him/herself for nap time. If so, maybe you need to put on light music or fairly loud music. Maybe you can change nap time to a time when the baby is naturally tired.

The question really is are you able to take the time to train the baby to sleep at nap time or do you really need to have nap time to study now?
SilverSabre25 01:59 PM 01-21-2015
In general, I feel that I have to point out that these things come with the territory of the job. It's a lot like being a parent sometimes...you have to deal with all the same developmental leaps and changes as the parents do and sometimes it's pretty darn inconvenient. I totally get having things you want to do during nap, but...naps are part of the job.

She needs naps, she's too little to drop them. It might take more work on your part for awhile to get her to learn how to sleep again. She could be teething, cold, or have a brewing ear infection, or something you've never thought of. Is she on the brink of a development like walking? crawling? cruising? Those will screw up sleep as well.

Or, if you need to term her, do it. It can take a lot of work and patience to either fix or wait out a troublesome sleeper. But she won't be the last difficult sleeper you'll have. Children and babies are like that. You may need to reconsider the ages you accept if it's that much of a problem for you. Terming is easy...but I get so tired of seeing everyone term every child who's going through a perfectly normal-though-very-inconvenient developmental phase.
midaycare 02:24 PM 01-21-2015
I agree with Silver. Most days I don't get a rest period. And if I do, it's maybe 20-50 minutes tops. I just kind of expect that kids will be kids and won't nap perfectly every day. Buuuut ... That's my philosophy.

You have to do what's right for you, but I would think this is an issue you will run into a lot.

I have no idea why there is a thumbs down in my post. Obviously my unconscious didn't like my own post.
Play Care 05:53 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
In general, I feel that I have to point out that these things come with the territory of the job. It's a lot like being a parent sometimes...you have to deal with all the same developmental leaps and changes as the parents do and sometimes it's pretty darn inconvenient. I totally get having things you want to do during nap, but...naps are part of the job.

She needs naps, she's too little to drop them. It might take more work on your part for awhile to get her to learn how to sleep again. She could be teething, cold, or have a brewing ear infection, or something you've never thought of. Is she on the brink of a development like walking? crawling? cruising? Those will screw up sleep as well.

Or, if you need to term her, do it. It can take a lot of work and patience to either fix or wait out a troublesome sleeper. But she won't be the last difficult sleeper you'll have. Children and babies are like that. You may need to reconsider the ages you accept if it's that much of a problem for you. Terming is easy...but I get so tired of seeing everyone term every child who's going through a perfectly normal-though-very-inconvenient developmental phase.

I never understood the mentailty that nap = break = getting things done. Yes it can happen and it's nice when it does, but I never *count* on nap time. Once I put that in place it made life much easier.
That said, I have termed non nappers before . These were older children who would cry, scream and gag through nap time even though they were tired. They had been home with mom for three years before mom had to go back to work...it was so bad that my SA kids didn't want to get off the bus in the afternoons because they couldn't stand the crying and screaming.
Unregistered 06:05 PM 01-21-2015
The only time I would term a non napper would be if I had tried everything to help the child sleep and the child was disruptive to the entire group who do take a nap. I don't think it is fair to the other children who have a right to a quiet and peaceful environment to rest.
Shell 06:58 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I have had many non-napping babies lately. We actually discussed this issue on this forum fairly recently.

I would say that you need to do what's best for you. If you really need nap time to study and can afford to terminate the baby, then maybe that's what you need to do.

If you can take the time to try to figure the baby out and try different things to get the baby to sleep during nap time, then I would say to work on figuring the baby out. Maybe you can put the baby in a room by him/herself for nap time. If so, maybe you need to put on light music or fairly loud music. Maybe you can change nap time to a time when the baby is naturally tired.

The question really is are you able to take the time to train the baby to sleep at nap time or do you really need to have nap time to study now?

daycarediva 03:51 AM 01-22-2015
I can't take children who don't nap regularly. My program is just not set up to allow them a place to play quietly off of their mats and my state regs say that a child can't lay down for the duration of nap unless they are sleeping (which is cruel, imho).

I stagger nap time, older kids go down last and they are the first to be woken up. All of my kids are really good nappers though, but I have 1-2 that sometimes don't nap towards the end of the week (when they are well rested from a good sleeping pattern). Since it's once in a while, I manage, but we all nap in the playroom now, so it only works because both are older 4's who are quiet as mice/don't disrupt the other children who need sleep, they play with table activities in my dining room.
Reply Up