Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!!! Asap
Unregistered 07:03 AM 01-24-2015
I have a client that is interested in my daycare. However, mom told me that her 4 year old was dismissed from a daycare for scratching another child then pushing a child. I would like to call the provider and find out if this is a child that has behavior issues and why he was dismissed. Is this appropriate? Is is ok to call the provider to find out what type of child I am getting ready to get? Is it legal? I have children already enrolled that I have to protect and think I should call. Idk what to do...
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 01-24-2015
I wouldn't call the other provider.

Environment and group dynamics play a HUGE role in the behavior of a child

Just because the child scratched or pushed elsewhere does not mean they will with you.

I also do a two week trial period and in my opinion that is what is used to see if a child will fit into your group or not.

How they behaved somewhere else usually has little importance to how they will behave with you.

If the situation fits what you are looking for as far as hours and times etc, I'd give it a try,

Some of my best families came from bad experiences somewhere else.
Crazy8 07:32 AM 01-24-2015
no, I do not think its appropriate to call the other provider. Like BC said, sooo much could depend on the environment the child is in. I also just think its unprofessional to talk about a child to other providers. I would never tell another provider my experiences with a family, I would worry about saying anything negative coming back to bite me.

I would just have a nice long interview with the family and make your own decision on the matter. I think its a plus that the mom is being upfront about the issues, I would make sure to listen for red flags during the interview (is mom working to fix the issues, does she blame it all on the other daycare, etc).
NoMoreJuice! 07:35 AM 01-24-2015
I would call (and have called) previous providers. But I do agree that you will never know how the child will act until they are in your care with your other kids. The things I would ask if you choose to call the previous provider would be:

a) How long the behavior had been occurring (I doubt it was just a single occurrence)
b) How did the provider handle the behavior
c) Did she notice what triggered the behavior
d) How receptive was the parent to working with her on the behavior

In my experience, you may find out that the parent you interviewed just skimmed the surface of the reason they were dismissed.

Good luck!
Unregistered 07:42 AM 01-24-2015
Mom did not have to supply the info about being dismissed. However, I feel that it would be sneaky on my behalf to go and call to check out her story. It just does not add up that for a little scratch and push he was dismissed. I was thinking that there is more to the story or the provider just used it as an excuss to dismiss. However, mom did not slander the provider and did not seem mad about it. She seems very timid and nice during the phone call and said her little boy was very active. He would only be here for six months because he is going to preschool but the brother will stay.

Honestly, the first thought I had was that the parent of the scratched child demanded that the provider dismisses. I have had parents tell me this but I would tell them I dismiss on my own term and they cannot tell me who to dismiss or keep. IDK really what to do...maybe i will just give it a try..without calling the old provider
Starburst 12:37 PM 01-24-2015
I wouldn't call just because you already know he/she was kicked out for inappropriate behavior. Yeah there may be a few things she may have left out or not mentioned but she could have just as easily lied and said "Oh, my child is a perfect angel and has never had any behavior issues."

As the others have said, I would probably do a trial run. But knowing the child's history, I would also ask about how he is at home, with the children of family/friends, what they do for discipline at home, and add to the contract that the parents must be willing to support your efforts at daycare by trying to stay consistent and trying to follow your recommendations at home (sometimes children don't understand boundaries at school/daycare because there are none at home).
Josiegirl 02:32 PM 01-24-2015
Go with your gut when you meet the family and observe the little guy the best you can. Write a list of questions down such as if there seem to be triggers for his behavior, how it's handled, what has/hasn't worked, etc. Then if you feel like it give it a try and do the trial as suggested. You should always do a trial anyways, kids are different everywhere. How old is his brother, how does he treat him?
Ariana 03:43 PM 01-24-2015
I agree with BlackCat. This is the very reason I hate references because you literally have no idea what the person is going to say about you even though you did everything for them and their family. Just because this kid had issues at another place means nothing. I have a 6 week trial period written into my contract for this very reason. I can term at anytime within that 6 weeks.
Reply Up