Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termed dcm
Shell 08:13 AM 01-23-2015
Like many of you, it's my policy to have parents sign off on the total amount paid at the end of the year. I can't do this with termed dcm, since she's not here in person. I offered to either email or mail her statement, but I need her to "sign off" on the amount. She writes soemthing along the lines of, "I have to check my finances but it doesn't matter because I can only claim 1/4 of it anyway". I know my #'s are right, I've got the checks in front of me.
How would you let her know the amount IS accurate, and it's not up for debate, and also can't she declare $3,000 per child?! Right? The amount is more than double that.
Thanks for any advice!
Leigh 08:22 AM 01-23-2015
Do you have copies of receipts or checks? I would just note that DCM refused to sign the form, and NOT provide DCM with an accounting of it. If DCM pushes the issue, let her know that she must pick up her total in person and sign for you.

Otherwise, your bank statements may show how much she paid, or just use copies of receipts or checks. If your signed contract shows how much she was charged, use that for your records. You probably have SOMETHING to show what she paid without using her signature to prove it.
KidGrind 08:24 AM 01-23-2015
As long as her amount is accurate there should be zero issue on your end.

I would just email:

Hello ___________,

The total you paid me is $______ for the year 2014. The amount you came up with is correct.

I hope you have a great year in 2015.

Best regards,

Provider
Unregistered 09:47 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Like many of you, it's my policy to have parents sign off on the total amount paid at the end of the year. I can't do this with termed dcm, since she's not here in person. I offered to either email or mail her statement, but I need her to "sign off" on the amount. She writes soemthing along the lines of, "I have to check my finances but it doesn't matter because I can only claim 1/4 of it anyway". I know my #'s are right, I've got the checks in front of me.
How would you let her know the amount IS accurate, and it's not up for debate, and also can't she declare $3,000 per child?! Right? The amount is more than double that.
Thanks for any advice!
How about a letter or email that says "Your annual fees totaled $X.xx for calendar year 2014.
If you have any dispute with this amount, you must notify me by ____ (email or letter) by XX date, 2015. "
melilley 09:57 AM 01-23-2015
Legally, you don't have to give her anything, unless, she gives you a W-10. You have your receipts and if she gives a different number, then you can easily prove what she paid you.
Cat Herder 10:20 AM 01-23-2015
As long as your records are accurate for your possible audit, it won't matter what she claims.

If she is audited she will have to prove what she claimed. It won't matter what you submitted.

What she does or does not agree with will have no validity in your world at all.
Shell 10:33 AM 01-23-2015
Thanks for the replies. I have a spreadsheet with the check #'s and the total she paid. I think she's just being a pita just to get the last word. My assistant is coming over so I can go to the post office and have them sent certified mail- wouldn't want her pretending she never received them
JenNJ 12:57 PM 01-23-2015
Your numbers don't have to match hers. If she is claiming LESS than she paid you, the IRS won't audit you. Just make sure your return is correct that way if you are audited, you have proof.
daycare 01:09 PM 01-23-2015
yes yes yes to all.

I talked to my CPA this morning and she said that as long as they have my EIN number then they can file away.

She said that if they get an audit, they will be responsible for showing proof of the payments made. If they can't show proof, then they will have to be the ones to deal with it. BUT at that time expect them to come running to you asking for receipts or what not.

I wrote up a whole section about Taxes what I will and won't do.

I said I will provide you with one copy of receipts via email and it is your responsibility to track and organize them. If I have to provide anything outside of a end of the year statement there will be a $50.00 per request fee up to the maximum of one hour. We will not fulfill request past this.
e.j. 05:11 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How about a letter or email that says "Your annual fees totaled $X.xx for calendar year 2014.
If you have any dispute with this amount, you must notify me by ____ (email or letter) by XX date, 2015. "
This is pretty close to what I give to parents. I have current parents sign my copy and mail the form to each family who no longer attend. I note the date I mail it to them and the address I sent it to. They can "check their finances" if they want but unless and until they can give me proof that they paid anything other than the amount I have recorded, I assume I've done my job and don't worry about it.
Reply Up