Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Monday - Thursday, anyone?
Msdunny 02:51 PM 01-23-2015
Hi guys!! I haven't been here in forever! I closed my daycare last summer, and have done a couple of things since then, but I really miss the kids. I want to re-open, but only want to work Monday - Thursday. Has anyone else done this, and how has it worked for you?

Thanks!!
jenboo 03:08 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Hi guys!! I haven't been here in forever! I closed my daycare last summer, and have done a couple of things since then, but I really miss the kids. I want to re-open, but only want to work Monday - Thursday. Has anyone else done this, and how has it worked for you?

Thanks!!
I have a couple families that are mon-thurs. I think it's do able but you are really limiting your chance of finding clients. If you can handle it financially, I'm sure you will find some families who can work with a Mon-Fri schedule.
Unregistered 03:32 PM 01-23-2015
It's great being open only Monday-Thursday. I made this change last year and also shortened my hrs. The children that didn't go to preschool stayed and ended up with one opening because I termed someone. I had decided to do this because I was getting burnt out and didn't have time to run errands (dr. appointments,etc) and was finding I was doing a lot of daycare things on the weekend even though I am very organized. I tried to do most during the week but when I couldn't because I have to care for my own child, it was cutting into my family time during the weekend. Now having Fridays "off" I have the option to choose which day (Friday/Saturday/Sunday, usually Friday) I can catch up on paperwork, lesson plans, grocery shopping for home & daycare, etc. depending on my husband's day off so he can care for our child on that day. The other two days we use exclusively for family time. I am and my family too is so much happier!

To offset taking Fridays off, I am now open on most holidays. I still close for thanksgiving & day after, take two weeks winter break includes Xmas eve/Xmas day/New years eve/New years day, one wk spring break, and six personal/sick days. When I decided to make this change I gave my families five months notice to give them time to find other care if they needed to. My fees are higher than other people in my area, but my families had visited others before me and realized what my program and environment offers is quite different from the others and fit what they wanted for their family. I am also lucky to get referrals from current & former families.

Good luck in starting up again! It may take time to fill your spaces, but if you can, hold out for what you want.
Unregistered 03:35 PM 01-23-2015
It's great being open only Monday-Thursday. I made this change last year and also shortened my hrs. The children that didn't go to preschool stayed and ended up with one opening because I termed someone. I had decided to do this because I was getting burnt out and didn't have time to run errands (dr. appointments,etc) and was finding I was doing a lot of daycare things on the weekend even though I am very organized. I tried to do most during the week but when I couldn't because I have to care for my own child, it was cutting into my family time during the weekend. Now having Fridays "off" I have the option to choose which day (Friday/Saturday/Sunday, usually Friday) I can catch up on paperwork, lesson plans, grocery shopping for home & daycare, etc. depending on my husband's day off so he can care for our child on that day. The other two days we use exclusively for family time. I am and my family too is so much happier!

To offset taking Fridays off, I am now open on most holidays. I still close for thanksgiving & day after, take two weeks winter break includes Xmas eve/Xmas day/New years eve/New years day, one wk spring break, and six personal/sick days, all paid. When I decided to make this change I gave my families five months notice to give them time to find other care if they needed to. My fees are higher than other people in my area, but my families had visited others before me and realized what my program and environment offers is quite different from the others and fit what they wanted for their family. I am also lucky to get referrals from current & former families.

Good luck in starting up again! It may take time to fill your spaces, but if you can, hold out for what you want.
e.j. 04:30 PM 01-23-2015
I worked Mon-Thurs (9:00-4:00 and then 8:00-4:00) for years and loved it. Having that extra day to get caught up on laundry, general housework , paperwork, schedule appointments, etc...was such a help. I never had any trouble filling my spots but I did take part timers and drop-ins to make sure I was as full as I could be during those 4 days. I also took all holidays off (paid). This year, I did give up my Fridays off because a couple of families needed care and I decided that because I really like the families, it would be worth it to me. I plan to go back to my Mon-Thurs schedule once these families no longer need me.
Reply Up