Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sand and water table
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 01-25-2015
I've been storing my table due to the fact that all the kids did was climb on it and jump off. I'm getting brave and bringing it back in again, hoping it'll get us through some of these long cold winter days.

Anyways, I put together a bag of loose parts yesterday by going through my giant recycle bag and looking at all the plastic things I was getting rid of, along with t.p. tubes, egg cartons, etc. I'm just going to throw some of them in there, along with______ to see what their imaginations can come up with.
Can anyone fill in the blank for me? I've got large plastic buttons, seashells and rocks, colored pompoms. I'll swap things in and out but what else could I use that I may have on hand?
kendallina 06:20 AM 01-25-2015
Maybe some kinds of 'characters'...like fairies or small animals or even those counting bears...my kids use those counting bears for everything!

My kids also really like erasers...you know, the ones that are shaped like something. When we explore space as a theme, I have a bag of very small blue/purple/etc beads that I put in the table along with some space erasers that I got from the dollar store and that's always a huge hit.
Annalee 11:16 AM 01-25-2015
I substitute birdseed in place of sand. We have a large tote with foam letter/numbers/shapes/ and the children can use their fingers/tongs to find the missing pieces. Plus there are measuring spoons/cups and bowls for sorting/separating.
permanentvacation 11:30 AM 01-25-2015
I like the birdseed idea. I'm highly allergic to rice. If I get in in my mouth at all, my throat closes up! So I refuse to even use it in a sensory tub. I tried to convince myself to get some the other day when I bought the stuff to start implementing the Reggio Emilia Approach and Montessori Method into my daycare, but really was too afraid I'd all but die if I got the powder from it on my hands and then into my mouth.

But birdseed sounds like a perfect substitute for me!

As far as Josiegirl's original question, I'd just throw one of the other items in and then swap it out with another of the items every couple of days to see how they change their play when you swap the items. I also like the idea of them having either people or little animals like the counting bears that were suggested.
Annalee 11:34 AM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I like the birdseed idea. I'm highly allergic to rice. If I get in in my mouth at all, my throat closes up! So I refuse to even use it in a sensory tub. I tried to convince myself to get some the other day when I bought the stuff to start implementing the Reggio Emilia Approach and Montessori Method into my daycare, but really was too afraid I'd all but die if I got the powder from it on my hands and then into my mouth.

But birdseed sounds like a perfect substitute for me!

As far as Josiegirl's original question, I'd just throw one of the other items in and then swap it out with another of the items every couple of days to see how they change their play when you swap the items. I also like the idea of them having either people or little animals like the counting bears that were suggested.
We used to be able to use beans as well but QRIS now says no food for play.
permanentvacation 11:44 AM 01-25-2015
So, would the thing where the child spoons beans from one bowl to the other not be allowed by QRIS?
Josiegirl 11:49 AM 01-25-2015
Thanks everybody! I never thought of my bear counters, great idea! Bring the scale into it too and there's an added learning tool.

No beans? What about rice?
What about all providers go on strike??
midaycare 12:23 PM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We used to be able to use beans as well but QRIS now says no food for play.
No rice? Seriously? I can't remember reading anything about that here in our QRIS checklist, but it doesn't mean I didn't miss it.
KiddieCahoots 12:29 PM 01-25-2015
My CDA instructor mentioned that the NAEYC does not allow food for play either.

My kids love Squinkies! (think that's how you spell it?) Little rubber animals, people, and creatures. They come in clear plastic bubbles, like what you get from a bubble gum machine, and the kids love playing with those too.
midaycare 12:58 PM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
My CDA instructor mentioned that the NAEYC does not allow food for play either.

My kids love Squinkies! (think that's how you spell it?) Little rubber animals, people, and creatures. They come in clear plastic bubbles, like what you get from a bubble gum machine, and the kids love playing with those too.
Grrr... I just made 10 lbs of colored rice last night. And it's awesome.
Josiegirl 01:12 PM 01-25-2015
Beans and rice are such great sensory tub ideas though. Even *I* love pouring the rice through my fingers, listening to it sound like rain with my eyes closed. No more stringing cheerios or fruit loops either I suppose?
Annalee 01:26 PM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Beans and rice are such great sensory tub ideas though. Even *I* love pouring the rice through my fingers, listening to it sound like rain with my eyes closed. No more stringing cheerios or fruit loops either I suppose?
We get additional notes to be added each yr from fccers-r anchors so our rules change periodically and food was taken away a few years ago.
nothingwithoutjoy 02:43 PM 01-25-2015
Some ideas (obviously not intended to be used all together...)

Pipecleaners--for stringing your loose parts, or wrapping them up.

Tongs--for picking up the loose parts.

Bowls or baskets--for sorting into.

Water--for floating and sinking your loose parts.

Shaving cream--for burying the loose parts and finding them again.

Long tubes (wrapping paper)--for sliding things through.

And check out this guy for some awesome ideas:
https://www.facebook.com/SandAndWaterTables
jenboo 03:06 PM 01-25-2015
Shredded paper! It's always a big hit.
Unregistered 04:16 PM 01-25-2015
Just like to point out that playdough is food, since it's made with food ingredients.
Annalee 04:51 PM 01-25-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just like to point out that playdough is food, since it's made with food ingredients.
I can see our assessors asking what our play dough is made from.. I have the original play dough so I have never been asked...
Unregistered 05:21 PM 01-25-2015
It's made out of the same ingredients basically.

I had a dc parent ask me not to use it because it is food and it was disrespectful to use it as a toy when there are people who do not have enough to eat.
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's made out of the same ingredients basically.

I had a dc parent ask me not to use it because it is food and it was disrespectful to use it as a toy when there are people who do not have enough to eat.
O M G
Do you(not you you but everybody you)realize how disrespectful it is to not eat everything on your plate? Or spend money frivolously? Or go to the movies at 10 bucks a pop instead of donating? Or even the Food Program, serving food to the dcks we *know* they won't eat?

Noodles! Think of the things we can't do with noodles anymore??

The more I read, the more I want to go underground. Not really. But if my state ever got to this point, I'd definitely do something different.
Josiegirl 02:57 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Some ideas (obviously not intended to be used all together...)

Pipecleaners--for stringing your loose parts, or wrapping them up.

Tongs--for picking up the loose parts.

Bowls or baskets--for sorting into.

Water--for floating and sinking your loose parts.

Shaving cream--for burying the loose parts and finding them again.

Long tubes (wrapping paper)--for sliding things through.

And check out this guy for some awesome ideas:
https://www.facebook.com/SandAndWaterTables

Oooh thank you!!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:30 AM 01-26-2015
non- food is aquarium rocks but I feel those could be dangerous Bigger rocks but those aren't as tactile.

food- oats They have an awesome feel.

This whole food for art debate has been going on for years! Unfortunately, there aren't any real good substitutes for the play you can have with food objects I have cornstarch sitting here waiting to make obleck. Now is that food? We "can" eat it but not in it's actual state - bleh. Or is it a chemical compound that we are using in a science experiment. (c6h10o5.) I am do not yet have to follow that regulation but it would be interesting if you labeled it as such if it would still be considered "food". It is a powdery white substance that you purchased for a science experiment.
Reply Up