Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Unlicensed Daycare Operator is on State Disability
Unregistered 09:33 AM 04-26-2008
What should I do If a neighbor is operating an unlicensed daycare and is also on State Disability? She has told me that she has an autoimmune disease and gets tired very easily. I am concerned that she is not physically capable of caring for these children. What should I do?
Michael 10:08 AM 04-26-2008
There is a tough answer for that. The caregiver obviously is in need of support and income but it cannot be at the expense of the children in her care. The state has strict guidelines that have to be adhered to. Suggest you contact your state's licensing agency and make them aware of an unlicensed facility. Please find your state's contact numbers at: https://www.daycare.com/states.html
Unregistered 12:59 AM 05-16-2008
Personally, unless you have seen "something" that the provider has done wrong, it is none of your business. Living on a disability check is kind of like trying to live on a social security check, it doesn't go far enough.

Did she tell you she was unlicensed, or are you just "assuming". You do not have to be licensed/registered in every state, and many times it depends on the number of children you care for.

I think you need to take into consideration that the parents of the children she is caring for obviously feel she is qualified.

I think too many times people like to make "other people's business" "their business". I don't mean to be blunt, but unless you have proof and have seen it, you have no right to mendle in her private affairs.
Unregistered 11:20 PM 11-17-2008
I think this person who is reporting on what she "thinks" is going on in her neighbor's home,( watching children while she is supposedly collecting disability) needs to get a life, and quit worrying about what her neighbors are doing, mind her own business, and if she feels she can't control the "blab" factor, then she needs to find someone else to talk to, or to change the subject when it comes to that. Why are people so worried about what everyone else is doing? If the neighbor is responsible, as i'm sure that the children's parents have found her to be, than back off. Do you know the nature of her disability?? And did you know that even on disability a person can work and earn up to so much a month? And the subject of her being tired??? Oh, my, who doesn't get tired watching kids?? Maybe this person is trying to get off of disability, who knows??? So you better get your listening devices out, and dust of the old binoculars, and make sure you use the extra bright interrogation lights when you question her next time!! Instead, why don't you bake a lovely snack, drop on over to her house in the afternoon, or whenever you have a free moment, and give her a helping hand?? It is her business, not yours. Be an ear to listen, a hand to help, a shoulder to cry on and a zipper on your big mouth.
Ms.Sue 06:26 PM 11-18-2008
Here's the thing - if she is on disability - then she is recieving payments from the state (your tax money) AND she is also receiving child care payments ---- AND (I am sure 99%) she is NOT claiming taxes on her income!!! But - you are!!!!!!!!! And, if she is unlicensed then she should be turned in - there is a REASON she is not licensed - it's not like it's hard to accomplish. She also may not tell the parents that she has a disease - thereby putting these children at risk.......so whata ya do? Turn her in 1) for not being licensed, 2) receiving double income (one without paying taxes) and 3) to possibly protect those children who's families may have no idea. If an inspector comes out - and her house is considered legal for childcare - and her doctor says 'she can work' - then there should not be an issue huh?????
Somtimes we have to stand by our beliefs and covictions - even if it is uncomfortable.
Ms.Sue
Unregistered 07:30 AM 11-19-2008
Originally Posted by Ms.Sue:
Here's the thing - if she is on disability - then she is recieving payments from the state (your tax money) AND she is also receiving child care payments ---- AND (I am sure 99%) she is NOT claiming taxes on her income!!! But - you are!!!!!!!!! And, if she is unlicensed then she should be turned in - there is a REASON she is not licensed - it's not like it's hard to accomplish. She also may not tell the parents that she has a disease - thereby putting these children at risk.......so whata ya do? Turn her in 1) for not being licensed, 2) receiving double income (one without paying taxes) and 3) to possibly protect those children who's families may have no idea. If an inspector comes out - and her house is considered legal for childcare - and her doctor says 'she can work' - then there should not be an issue huh?????
Somtimes we have to stand by our beliefs and covictions - even if it is uncomfortable.
Ms.Sue
Now you don't have to be licensed in every state to do in home daycare. I'm not and i file my taxes whether the parents claim it or not. But i do agree that if she is on disablity and can not go out and get a job........i don't know what makes her think that she can take care of children. I do this for 12 hours(sometimes more) , 6 days a week and its a very demanding job. I understand that it is her personal bussiness but in the same breath, she is getting that money from us tax payers and its not right
Unregistered 03:10 PM 11-22-2008
Again, people are talking from a place of complete IGNORANCE.

The laws have been changed quite a LOT about disability. My mother is on disability and she has received info in the mail telling her she can work and earn a certain amount of money without it changing her benefits. They actually want people to see work and re-training because it might lead to getting them off disability at some point. I don't know what the amount is because my mother never sought any work or talked with a social worker about it. But before you ruin a persons life, just mind your own business.

Suzi
Unregistered 11:04 AM 11-23-2008
I being a taxpayer would love for her to work too!!!! But i think the issue is that there are so so many people out there that take advantage of the system. the question is .........is it mental or physical. Cause taking care of children is very physical demanding. What if one of her children that she keeps is choking...........Do you know how physical demanding it is to do 5 min. of CPR? And if it mental............I mean really would you leave your child with someone with a mental disablity? And if she is neither of those then she is milking the system and breaking the law, and thus stealing my money and every other tax payers money. Life is not a free ride! So i think this parent has every reason to be concerned and every parent has the right to make sure that the provider taking care of their children are in the right frame of mind and stable!
Unregistered 01:53 PM 06-10-2009
OMG! Get off of it! People are so worried about their tax dollars from the people who need it, what about the tax dollars you pay for gardening at the white house! Until you are a person diagnosed with a disability then you need not talk! The people that have disability were diagnosed by a doctor who thought it was in that person’s best interest not to work. So if you are not their physician, mind yours. How is what she doing bothering you? How about fighting hunger in the world or volunteering in your community! That person is just trying to make ends meet and it may very well be a huge discomfort to her/ him to do that, but could you live off the bare minimum every month? Get a life! Too much prying not enough helping! If you life was stripped away by a disability would you fight back to gain your independence?
melissa ann 05:24 AM 06-11-2009
I noticed most of the negative comments pertaining to this topic, is from unregistered viewers, so I really pay no mind to them.
However, there are many people who abuse the system. I'm not saying this is the case. I also know, that people on disability can earn a certain amount of money. This woman may be collecting disaility and earning more than allowed by doing childcare. And threrefore, probably not filing this income.
Childcare is hard work. I'm up at 5:30 and till the kids go home, it's 5pm. Then I have family obligations in the evenings. Come 8pm, I ready for bed most nights. And for anyone's 411, I am not licensed, but I'm allowed to care for 3 kids (not including my own) before being licensed. I felt with my 2, this was enough for me. I also file this at tax time even though my dcp do not. I could get my licensed and watch up to an additonal 3 children, but I know what I can safely handle. IT's not always about earning a quick, easy $1. Especially when children come into the picture. JMO
Unregistered 05:31 PM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by michael:
There is a tough answer for that. The caregiver obviously is in need of support and income but it cannot be at the expense of the children in her care. The state has strict guidelines that have to be adhered to. Suggest you contact your state's licensing agency and make them aware of an unlicensed facility. Please find your state's contact numbers at: https://www.daycare.com/states.html
You can report them at unitedwatchers.com and it's anonymous
jen 06:04 PM 06-13-2010
Ms.Sue
How in the WORLD do you know what is going on with someone elses tax return? Perhaps you are unaware, but individuals on disability are allowed to earn a certain amount of money each month! There are levels of disability...for instance, someone on FULL disability would receive full benefits, however someone who was partially disabled would only receive partial benefits and be exptected to WORK in addition to their disability check.

It is really, really wrong to be making these kinds of judgements about people. Try to remember that your suspicions are just that....suspicions.
momofboys 04:21 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by Leonado Rosel:
I totally agree with this.. Should stand and actually fight for what is right!
"Here's the thing - if she is on disability - then she is recieving payments from the state (your tax money) AND she is also receiving child care payments ---- AND (I am sure 99%) she is NOT claiming taxes on her income!!! But - you are! And, if she is unlicensed then she should be turned in - there is a REASON she is not licensed - it's not like it's hard to accomplish. She also may not tell the parents that she has a disease - thereby putting these children at risk.Receiving double income (one without paying taxes) and 3) to possibly protect those children who's families may have no idea. If an inspector comes out - and her house is considered legal for childcare - and her doctor says 'she can work' - then there should not be an issue.
Sometimes we have to stand by our beliefs and covictions - even if it is uncomfortable." Nice one Ms Sue!
There are several states where you DO NOT need to be licensed to provide care. I reside in one of them & possibly this person does also. I think the PP is being nosy & is using the "I'm concerned about the children" excuse when really he's concerned about his belief that she MAYBE does not pay taxes.
Childminder 05:38 AM 06-14-2010
If you feel the need to put your nose in her business then call the government.
Unregistered 12:04 PM 11-15-2010
The people who work in the government offices don't really care to investigate or even know who the right people to talk to about this would be. My step mother in law does childcare full time for a little girl and claims disability and does not report her childcare earnings, and she has told me that she doesn't want to report to the government.
She claims disabilty for a bulging disk in her back, but yet also has an implant in her to help her body ignore the pain. There for her disabilty shouldn't even need to be claimed.
I called the childcare division, social security and the fraud helpline, but they are unavailable or don't wnt to make the time to go out and investigate.
Why does the state set out rules that are suppose to be followed and honest people follow them but then dishonest people get away with not following them?
If you do childcare in your own home and are over 18 you must have central backround check on file...but then the state doesn't really care. What is up with this?
Daycare_Mama 07:49 AM 11-19-2010
Ms.Sue
You are doing a lot of assuming here. Are you this woman's accountant? Do you do her taxes? You have no idea if she claims this money on her taxes, so you have no place saying this.

Also, there's a difference between legally unlicensed and illegally unlicensed and it depends on the state. Some it's just 1 family..others it's a certain number of kids. I can watch 1 unrelated family in my state without being licensed. This is what I do while I'm getting licensed. I'm unlicensed too. But I claim the income I make on my taxes and give my family my SS# so they can claim the amount they paid me on there's.

And disability does let you work and still receive a payment. They actually WANT you to work.. I get lots of info on this because my daughter receives SSI. If you are an adult and receive disability, they make a big deal about the fact that your disability payment will only be lowered $1 for every $2 you earn outside of it.

You have no right to assume that this woman is operating unlicensed illegally. Nor do you have the right to assume that she doesn't report the money she earns.

Whether she can provide quality care is a whole other issue, but unless you've witnessed or heard an account of her providing unsafe care, you don't have anything. Sure, you can probably call the county you live in and voice your concern, but as long as she's operating under the numbers that are required for unlicensed care, nothing you can do.
Unregistered 08:52 AM 01-08-2011
It was and with me.
Unregistered 07:34 AM 03-02-2011
If the provider in the original post is on disability, she is more than likely not reporting her work to the disability office or telling her doctor whom she claims disability with, which would lead one to believe that she does not report her income to taxes. And irregardless of her situation or anyone that runs a daycare, including myself, there should be consistent and clear oversight and liscensing for one reason-we are talking about our children here, and that is everyone's business.
Unregistered 11:39 AM 03-02-2011
Thank you for posting your concern about these kids potentially being in danger and don't listen to anyone telling you to mind your own business. Your original post was that you were concerned about these kids because the provider told you she's on disability because she has an autoimmune disease that causes her to get really tired. If her disability is preventing her from working a full time job outside her home, then I don't feel she's fit to take care of children during the day with this type of disability. You're not put on disability with anything slight - it's gotta be completely restrictive to the point where you can't work. Anyone with this type of condition isn't fit to watch children, even on a part time basis. I know people with conditions like that who put their kids in daycare full time for the children's safety. In an emergency, the provider may not be able to handle the situation. And, if she gets tired easily, she has probably slept while the kids are in her care - which is a huge danger. I would definately report what she told you both to your state's local daycare licensing agency (anonymously) and would also report her to the state disability agency (anonymously). Both will investigate her. Any center daycare can give you the licensing agency number and any social worker or doctor's office can give you the disability phone number. If she's in compliance with the extra pay allowances, the agency may require her to get a written doctor's evaluation to determine whether she can effectively perform childcare/daycare duties - disability requires that working within the set restrictions as determined in writing by a doctor, so if she's working outside of those, she will lose her disability because it's considered disability fraud. I think everyone here will agree that childcare is one of the most mentally and physically demanding jobs out there and there's very few disabilities that would allow providers to perform to their fullest in an emergency. Just think how guilty you'll feel if you don't say something and something happens to any of those kids while in her care.
Unregistered 05:59 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Personally, unless you have seen "something" that the provider has done wrong, it is none of your business. Living on a disability check is kind of like trying to live on a social security check, it doesn't go far enough.

Did she tell you she was unlicensed, or are you just "assuming". You do not have to be licensed/registered in every state, and many times it depends on the number of children you care for.

I think you need to take into consideration that the parents of the children she is caring for obviously feel she is qualified.

I think too many times people like to make "other people's business" "their business". I don't mean to be blunt, but unless you have proof and have seen it, you have no right to mendle in her private affairs.
Very Well Said!!!!
dEHmom 08:47 AM 03-03-2011
Lets set the facts....

OP
- concerned about children's welfare
- concerned about being on disibility due to autoimmune (what kind?)
- Provider admitted tires easily (so what?)

IS she tired to the point she has to lay down during the day? OR just tired out because of kids by the end of day compared to how she used to be?

IS she putting the children at risk? Or maybe just not playing with them directly as much as she used to?

IS she reporting the income? WHO KNOWS? NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

IF the children truly are your concern, and you think they are in danger, contact the local child care agencies. Ask them if she is doing anything illegal. If she is within legal rights to do what she is doing, and the welfare of the children are not at stake, then they will visit and nothing will happen. If they visit and something is wrong, then they will shut her down!

I agree it's none of your business what she does/earns/claims. BUT I agree that if there is a chance a child is in danger of any sort, if you don't do something about it then it's on your shoulders. SO do what you need to do, if she is operating illegally or engaged in fraud, she will be in trouble for that and the children will be safe. If she is doing things legally, then she will understand that the best interest of the kids is at heart.
QualiTcare 09:02 AM 03-03-2011
i usually mind my own business so i probably wouldn't report anyone regardless...

but if she is on state disability BECAUSE of this "disease" that makes her so tired - then she is getting disability because someone has decided she is unable to work apparently. i can't imagine thinking that taking care of young children would be a job that someone who "gets tired easily" wouldn't find exhausting. it seems to me if she can take care of young children properly then she probably shouldn't be on disability.

people have issues (and rightfully so) with the system being abused. again, i don't know if i'd report this person - i don't know all the facts, but the OP has every right to report someone who it sounds like could be committing fraud without being blasted for it.
Unregistered 09:01 AM 06-15-2011
If there is ever any question about a child's safety in a day care then yes the day care should be reported. If there is no problem with the license and the state says that she is capable of looking after the children then everything will work out fine. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. The parents may or may not know of the woman's medical problems, people are not always honest. It isn't a matter of minding your own business, it is about making sure the kids will be ok. Other people may not agree with you, but at the end of the day its about doing what you felt was right. How terrible would you feel if you stood by and did nothing only to find out later that you were right to be concerned because something did happen to one of the kids.
Unregistered 04:23 PM 01-09-2012
I receive disability. I have four young children. The government would never take away my children because I get tired easily nor will the government part for daycare so I can sleep. So I take care of my children.

Having a disability does not mean you are unable to take care of kids.

You have no idea if she is claiming this income or not.

Do what you feel you need to do but think before you act.
Tags:2008, government, old thread, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up