Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Care for Infants?
TaylorTots 06:31 PM 09-22-2019
Do you care for infants?

If you do, what is your program age limit?

If you do NOT, what starting age do you offer care for?
Annalee 06:42 PM 09-22-2019
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Do you care for infants?

If you do, what is your program age limit?

If you do NOT, what starting age do you offer care for?
The State requires infants be 6 weeks before beginning daycare in my state. I only take infant siblings at this time. Just too many restrictions when it comes to infants for me. BC has an awesome form about infants I share with clients before enrollment.
TaylorTots 06:46 PM 09-22-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The State requires infants be 6 weeks before beginning daycare in my state. I only take infant siblings at this time. Just too many restrictions when it comes to infants for me. BC has an awesome form about infants I share with clients before enrollment.
Oh she does? Hmm... Reopening in the late spring here and I'm debating.
DaveA 03:38 AM 09-23-2019
Same as Annalee I'm licensed from 6 weeks up.
Jupadia 04:24 AM 09-23-2019
Dont tend to take them, but most Canadians if working have at least 12 months of mat leave. I get a couple that may start at about 10 or 11 months. I would take them as young as 6 ish months though if I had a parent requesting.
knoxmomof2 06:45 AM 09-23-2019
I only keep 1 infant at a time and generally only a new sibling. Infants are a lot of work, unpredictable at times as far as schedules (bottles, naps, etc) and there's a lot of risk (SIDS) so I don't prefer to take them, but I only keep 4 children and I like to have 1 of each year, so it's kind of necessary at times.

I would have to really be comfortable with the family and desperate to fill a spot to take an infant from a new family though. I've taken as young as 8 weeks old and 4 months old from previous families. For new families, 6 months would be my minimum age.
CountryRoads 06:57 AM 09-23-2019
I do! I personally love having infants. Plus, when they start that young, it's easier to get them on your schedule.

I've had several of my kids now since they were 6-7 weeks old.
Cat Herder 07:05 AM 09-23-2019
I take children birth to six.

Few jobs here offer maternity leave. 3-7 days old is very common in care.
Ariana 10:00 AM 09-23-2019
Canadian here as well and the norm is 12 months, although now the mat leave has increased to 18 months so I am getting more of those requests so not exactly infants anymore.
springv 10:03 AM 09-23-2019
In Alabama we can take them at six weeks of age
Baby Beluga 10:18 AM 09-23-2019
I am the odd one out, and don't accept infants. I am just too worried about SIDS.
Unregistered 11:00 AM 09-23-2019
I do. Usually, they start at 12 - 16 weeks old.
They stay with me up to 5yo. They know me and my rules as well as their parents. I know them pretty well too. I love it.
jenboo 11:15 AM 09-23-2019
I have an infant/toddler daycare.
I take babies 6 weeks to 24 months.

I am just reopening after a 2 year break. Once we have enough interest, my husband will join me at the daycare. We can take 10 kids under 2 with the both of us.
gumdrops 03:46 PM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I take children birth to six.

Few jobs here offer maternity leave. 3-7 days old is very common in care.
You have babies as little as 3 days old
I would love that as a provider, but would hate that as a mother.
Unregistered 07:29 PM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have an infant/toddler daycare.
I take babies 6 weeks to 24 months.

I am just reopening after a 2 year break. Once we have enough interest, my husband will join me at the daycare. We can take 10 kids under 2 with the both of us.
we must have one adult for every two kids under 2yo.(((
jenboo 07:46 PM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
we must have one adult for every two kids under 2yo.(((
That's crazy! How would anyone make an income on that.
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
You have babies as little as 3 days old
I would love that as a provider, but would hate that as a mother.
Unless parents plan ahead, save sick days and put money aside this is the outcome when you don't have paid maternity leave. Jobs with benefits are becoming harder to find. Many are going to 38 hours or less to avoid them; to be able to stay competitive with imports. Most healthy women are functional by day 3 postpartum.

I re-opened my daycare 3 days after giving birth (c-sections), too (twice). With $5800 out of pocket (upfront) per birth and $1500 per month bradycardia/apnea monitoring cost, even with insurance, (plus normal monthly bills) it simply made sense. I was as young, strong and healthy as I was ever going to be (24-26).

Many of my clients find themselves in similar situations if they don't have family willing or able to share some costs.
Unregistered 07:46 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
That's crazy! How would anyone make an income on that.
I have three adults here. So I can have 6 infants plus 7 toddlers.
hwichlaz 05:46 PM 09-24-2019
I take 0-school aged...
and I'll keep school aged if I raised them.

I prefer to get a newborn that stays with me until they outgrow me around 2nd grade.
Tags:infant care
Reply Up