Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Play Toys?
emosks 12:17 PM 02-25-2010
What is in your outdoor play area? We are pretty stocked up but I'm wondering if we are "missing" anything!
Crystal 12:23 PM 02-25-2010
I have the typical climbers, slides, etc. I also have a teeter totter. My husband built a rock pit(peagravel), surrounded by large pieces of driftwood and put smaller pieces of driftwood in it for building, and added dump trucks, etc. We have a playhouse that in appropriate weather we place dramatic play props in....sometimes it's a house, sometimes a fire station, etc. We have a basketball hoop, trikes, ride in cars, picnic tables/benches. Two real kayaks that the children play in....we add the paddles and life jackets when weather is good. We do a garden every year. And, then I have lots of outdoor games, cones/poles for obstacle courses, pods for hopping on, etc. Sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc. are also put out when weather permits.
melskids 02:52 PM 02-25-2010
i have most of what crystal said, except for the kayakes....thats a cool idea. i also have 2 tunnels (the pop up kind) a balance beam, and a seperate smaller sand box for kids under 3. the older ones tend to take over the big one. this year i plan on completely seperating an area for toddlers, (like a small fence i can step over) i get tired of chasing them away from the swingset...lol i was thinking of buring some tractor tires upright in the ground to climb on, and adding come cabanans or tent things for more shade. i also have art easels outside.

oh yeah.... just outside the fence we have a big basketball hoop, tether ball, and badminton for the school agers
misol 10:45 AM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I have the typical climbers, slides, etc. I also have a teeter totter. My husband built a rock pit(peagravel), surrounded by large pieces of driftwood and put smaller pieces of driftwood in it for building, and added dump trucks, etc. We have a playhouse that in appropriate weather we place dramatic play props in....sometimes it's a house, sometimes a fire station, etc. We have a basketball hoop, trikes, ride in cars, picnic tables/benches. Two real kayaks that the children play in....we add the paddles and life jackets when weather is good. We do a garden every year. And, then I have lots of outdoor games, cones/poles for obstacle courses, pods for hopping on, etc. Sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc. are also put out when weather permits.
For those of you who have outdoor gardens, what are some really easy, low-maintenance veggies/plants to grow with kids? I am a city girl and am totally clueless about gardening but would LOVE to have one for the kids.
TGT09 11:44 AM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
For those of you who have outdoor gardens, what are some really easy, low-maintenance veggies/plants to grow with kids? I am a city girl and am totally clueless about gardening but would LOVE to have one for the kids.
I recently read good veggies for kids to grow are:
Cucumbers
Sugar Snap Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Broccoli
and many others.

Another poster has me thinking about doing an herb garden but unfortunately I have to wait for the ground to thaw! lol :-)
melskids 11:58 AM 02-26-2010
inside the play area we did sunflowers. out in the veggie garden we do everything you can think of. zuchini is the easiest, you cant kill it, and you get tons of it. our potatos always do really well to. i'm thinking of adding herbs this year in another spot, maybe window boxes or big planters
Crystal 02:53 PM 02-26-2010
I do: zucchini, bell pepper, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.

FYI: if you plant marigolds all the way around the perimeter of your garden, it will keep out snails.
originalkat 03:03 PM 02-26-2010
My outside play area needs serious help! We moved here 2 years ago in June and we have not really made an outdoor play area yet. I have a swing/climber set and...well...that is it. It is so boring. Plus I have to move it around everytime we mow. I really need to work on it this spring. I like having a small climber so I dont have to worry about the kids falling too far. But I need to add a lot to my area. Thanks for the ideas everyone!
originalkat 03:04 PM 02-26-2010
Do you have pictures of your paly area? I need some inspiration please.
Crystal 03:42 PM 02-26-2010
You can see a bit of it on my website: http://www.crystalscreativekids.com

They are a bit dated, so the rock pit isn't finished in them, it's there but not as extensive as it is now. I have more photos, I'll upload when I have a chance so you can see what it looks like now.
originalkat 03:57 PM 02-26-2010
WOW CRYSTAL! THAT IS AWESOME! I love what you are doing. It has been a long time since I have seen pictures of a quality program like yours. Very inspiring. I think the main thing I need is more stuff. (And I hate clutter. LOL!) I mean more things for the kids to do. A sensory area, more climbing/riding areas etc...A couple of questions--
-
Do you have pea gravel pit for digging instead of sand to eliminate the cat poop issue and having to cover it and all? How do the kids like it? It looks so fun with all the trucks and tools for digging. My kids are always digging in the dirt and getting all muddy and I am looking for a solution to this.
-
I love your play house! Do you remember where you got it?

Thanks for sharing your site!
mac60 06:03 PM 02-26-2010
I have a climber, castle, teeter totter, basketball hoop, lots of balls, and a few other things like hula hoops, a porch swing, plenty of grass to run around. We make tents out of old sheets and blankets on the clothes line and the kids love that. Honestly, I think kids need to learn to use their imagination and play without so much "stuff". We use the sprinkler and I use the hose on hot summer days, and sometimes I have a heck of a time keeping the little ones out of the birdbaths.
originalkat 06:52 PM 02-26-2010
I feel like all my kids have is their imagination right now. LOL!
misol 08:32 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I recently read good veggies for kids to grow are:
Cucumbers
Sugar Snap Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Broccoli
and many others.

Another poster has me thinking about doing an herb garden but unfortunately I have to wait for the ground to thaw! lol :-)
Originally Posted by melskids:
inside the play area we did sunflowers. out in the veggie garden we do everything you can think of. zuchini is the easiest, you cant kill it, and you get tons of it. our potatos always do really well to. i'm thinking of adding herbs this year in another spot, maybe window boxes or big planters
I do: zucchini, bell pepper, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.

FYI: if you plant marigolds all the way around the perimeter of your garden, it will keep out snails.
THANKS! I think we will start with zucchini and maybe tomatoes.
Unregistered 05:49 AM 02-27-2010
Herb gardens are tons of fun for the kids.
Plant a lot and let it be a garden then can pick out of all the time (respectfully of course). The kids and your yard will smell great. Lemon balm and and mint just grow like weeds and the kids love to smell them and run their arms over them. I let them pick those leaves (as long as they aren't being destructive) to make their "potions" during outdoor playtime. Rosemary and lavender stay green all winter and well, smell good. Oregano and thyme are also really hardy. Sage puts out a pretty flower.
Basil, cilantro, and dill are kind of delicate so you have to watch the kids around them. Except Thai basil, that stuff grows like a weed also.
Anyway, those are the ones I grow and my experience. You can also get all fancy and call it a "sensory garden" with all the smelling, tasting, touching, and looking.
We do lots of vegetables also, but I like the herbs the best.
Abigail 09:50 PM 07-28-2010
You can see a bit of it on my website: http://www.crystalscreativekids.com

They are a bit dated, so the rock pit isn't finished in them, it's there but not as extensive as it is now. I have more photos, I'll upload when I have a chance so you can see what it looks like now.
I can't view the site. It brings me to Vistaprint and wants me to sign up for a free webpage?
Lilbutterflie 09:20 AM 07-29-2010
I am so jealous! We just moved into my house one year ago, and it needs serious expensive work to be ready for any type of play in the backyard. It's completely unlevel in many different directions, and there are three mature trees that canopy the entire yard; which means grass is dead and it's all dirt!! If we reno it would be about $5k to 10K to get it level with retaining walls and set up the way I want it. Ugh.
But, we do all of our play out front. I only have 3 dck's and 2 of my own, plus it's a very quiet neighborhood that is safe for the kids. I have tons of bikes & ride-ons for all ages, bubbles, chalk, hula hoops, jump ropes (which lately they pretend they are walking pet snakes!), a little tykes car, grocery cart, push lawn mower, & a table for play-doh & other outdoor crafts. They are actually very happy with what we have and do not ever seem bored. Someday, though, I will set up my backyard the way I've read some of you describe. It sounds amazing!
MommyMuffin 09:38 AM 07-29-2010
Yes, Crystal it wont let me see it either, I am very interested in seeing it.

I have no trees in my backyard and I planted one last year and it hasnt grown very much. My house faces the south so I get beating down sun all day long and I dont know what to do. Cant play in front yard, busy street. I was going to buy a large canopy but it would be such a hassle to take down everyday.
emosks 10:38 AM 07-29-2010
I really wanted to do a garden with the kids but I think my yard is too hilly. The only flat part is the front yard and pretty sure my husband won't let me till that up!!
swaddlebees 11:59 AM 07-29-2010
I have a good sized back yard, not too big not too small, we have a small climber/slide and a playhouse, 2 ride on cars, tons of balls, a water table, and sand toys. We have a covered patio outside (that is a godsend in the south ga heat) that I keep fans on with the seating area and a play kitchen and smaller play toys and cars. We go out alot,esp when it starts to cool down.

I am trying to find something to start growing now with the kids, our sunflowers and corn died off...any ideas? We wont get cold til oct, and wont get frost til prob early nov. I need whatever i plant to grow in containers
Crystal 12:19 PM 07-29-2010
sorry ladies....that site is down as I am transferring to a the host I have my child care forum on. I will try to take some updated pics later and post them for you all.
Abigail 01:57 PM 07-29-2010
"I am trying to find something to start growing now with the kids, our sunflowers and corn died off...any ideas? We wont get cold til oct, and wont get frost til prob early nov. I need whatever i plant to grow in containers"

For August planting, I googled and found this: Fruits and veggies
Now is the time to start your fall and winter vegetables. Plant starters or seeds of green onions, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and winter cauliflower directly into the garden early this month.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/calendar/august.html

We did radishes in high school and they came in fast!
Tags:toys
Reply Up