Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Feel Bad? What To Do?
lvt77 02:24 PM 01-31-2011
sorry its so long

Ok so here’s the sitch:
I have two DCG siblings they are P/T/ come middle of the week 3 days. Last week one came to care sick and got my lil guy very ill that we ended up in the Urgent care over the weekend. As well as having to sanitize the entire DC again. I never asked DCM to keep sick DCG home last week, as it was just a cold.

So today DCM who is PG calls to ask me if I would be willing to watch the two DCG so that she and the DCD could go get an ultrasound because of complications. She wanted to do it today so that she would not have to miss any work later this week. So I said no problem.

I was in the middle of teaching class when they came to drop off and did not really get to talk to DCP too much to find out how the DCGs are doing. Turns out now the other DCG is now sick too.

All day today she has been miserable, crying, coughing, gagging, and slight diarrhea. She could not nap because she was coughing so hard. She does not have a fever, but I am really concerned that now she is going to get all the other kids sick. She is expected back tomorrow.

My feeling is that I need to tell mom that DCG cannot come tomorrow, and that basically the DCM changed all of her plans for nothing. Now DCM will have to take off work tomorrow if I tell DCM that DCG can’t return until she is able to participate as normal and symptoms have somewhat subsided.

I feel really bad and don’t want to ruin their schedule and have the mom miss work. I know that money is really tight right now for them, especially with a new one on the way….
Advice please, part of me wants to tell the mom and the other part of me does not....
kitkat 02:30 PM 01-31-2011
What is your sick/illness policy? For colds, I let them come. However, if there's diarrhea, no way! If the girl is miserable and can't participate, then she should stay home.
lvt77 02:42 PM 01-31-2011
colds are ok, the other stuff you mentioned is also in my PHB for reason of exclusion from care..... I guess I am just feeling really bad, because I will mess up their scheudle as well as the fact that the sister got my own child very ill. If it were not for the fact that my son has been on antibiotics since Friday, I would have shipped him off to grandmas house today....
Sunny Day 02:56 PM 01-31-2011
To me, that is really inconsiderate and annoying that DCM would bring them when they're that sick! It drives me CRAZY when kids show up here sick. If they have diarhea, they are sent home immediately and not allowed to come back until it has been gone for 24 hours. Sometimes I feel bad, but I feel worse for all the other families who are exposed to it if I let them come. Do you have an illness policy? If not, I would create one, have it signed and then all you have to do is refer to that when situations like this occur. Good luck! I hope the rest of your kiddies don't get it!
e.j. 02:57 PM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I guess I am just feeling really bad, because I will mess up their scheudle ....
Not your fault or problem. On one hand, I'd feel bad for the family, too, because I know what it is to be a working mom and how important it is not to miss work if you can help it. On the other hand, as her day care provider, I know I'd feel even worse if her kids got everyone else in the day care sick -- especially me!

You might feel a little less bad for these parents if you give some thought to the fact that although they knew their kids were as sick as they are, they still chose to expose you and the other day care kids to their illness. It makes it a little easier to tell her to keep the kid home when you think of it this way, doesn't it?!
lvt77 03:09 PM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Not your fault or problem. On one hand, I'd feel bad for the family, too, because I know what it is to be a working mom and how important it is not to miss work if you can help it. On the other hand, as her day care provider, I know I'd feel even worse if her kids got everyone else in the day care sick -- especially me!

You might feel a little less bad for these parents if you give some thought to the fact that although they knew their kids were as sick as they are, they still chose to expose you and the other day care kids to their illness. It makes it a little easier to tell her to keep the kid home when you think of it this way, doesn't it?!

YOu nailed it on the head...Guess I never thought to look at it this way. Oh dear I know what I have to do and just need to stick it to her....lol thanks so much everyone for your advice....
nannyde 04:22 PM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
So today DCM who is PG calls to ask me if I would be willing to watch the two DCG so that she and the DCD could go get an ultrasound because of complications. She wanted to do it today so that she would not have to miss any work later this week. So I said no problem
They sent their sick kids to your house when the DCD could have cared for them during the short time it took to have the ultrasound done. Why in the world would they expose you, your family, and your day care kids when they could have had the children's father care for the kids while the Mom went for the medical procedure?

I know it's difficult to have testing that could end with bad news BUT there are times during parenting when a series of events can go badly and you have to buck up and DO THE RIGHT THING. The time it took for her to go into the ultrasound alone was NOT worth sending their children away from home sick and exposing SO many other people.

This generation of parents need to get a grip and realize that it is HARD to be a parent and some times you have to do HARD things to make it work. They knew full well the kids were sick and had a time when the Dad wasn't working and could care for them.

Remember that when you start to feel bad.
lvt77 04:40 PM 01-31-2011
Nanny de
thanks for making me feel better. I am really mad right now and I could just blow.
About an hour ago I asked DCG if she was taking medicine and she said yes, I went to the doc this morning and got a lollipop and medicine..

So dad comes to pick up and I tell him the news.. He acts shocked that DCG is coughing and etc. His response was well your kid is sick too. UMM what??
He’s sick cuz your other kid got him sick... I told him I was not so concerned about the cold as I was the diarrhea. He laughed and said oh well it goes in the toilet it’s not like anyone is going to touch it. UGH REALLY?

So I go on to tell him that if she has a virus that it can be spread by saliva and so forth...
In the end I said that if she is still this way tomorrow then she cannot come back.
Do you think I should do an assessment in the morn if she show up?
Tags:diarrhea, sick policy, sickness
Reply Up