Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Allergies
TGT09 04:38 AM 04-22-2010
What are your policies when it comes to infant/toddler allergies?

DCM claims that 15 month old DCG has allergies and that she isn't allowed to go outside. I said I'm sorry, I can try to limit it but I have 2 other toddlers today that I can't keep from going outside just because she can't.

What would you do?

Keep in mind that this DCM has lied to me numerous times about DCG having allergies when in fact she was really sick! Either that, or she's completely oblivious to when her child is truly sick.
momofboys 05:07 AM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
What are your policies when it comes to infant/toddler allergies?

DCM claims that 15 month old DCG has allergies and that she isn't allowed to go outside. I said I'm sorry, I can try to limit it but I have 2 other toddlers today that I can't keep from going outside just because she can't.

What would you do?

Keep in mind that this DCM has lied to me numerous times about DCG having allergies when in fact she was really sick! Either that, or she's completely oblivious to when her child is truly sick.

You need to let her know that part of your activities includes outside play time. It is not fair for you to prohibit the others from playing outside due to the allergy. I'd be prepared to lose this client if I were you. Have they taken the child for allergy testing? If so, they need to be on some meds to help.
kpa0627 05:10 AM 04-22-2010
Look into your licensing rules. In Kansas it's a requirement for all children to spend @ least 1 hour outside each day (weather permitting).
TGT09 05:19 AM 04-22-2010
In the state of Ohio, we do not need to be licensed.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be losing her anytime soon but yes, that's pretty much what I told her this morning.

DCM says she has had a ton of allergy testing done. I didn't think there was any meds to give a child that young but I just was researching online and I guess there are some things the doctor can give. I think I'm going to suggest to her to give him a call.
Childminder 05:42 AM 04-22-2010
All children go out every day here. It's in my contract and I won't keep all of the children in for one. The parent signed the contract. The doctor can prescribe loratidine and a face mask. I'm the only caregiver here. The parent might want to look in to center care and see if they are willing to keep the child in during recess.
TGT09 06:02 AM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
The parent might want to look in to center care and see if they are willing to keep the child in during recess.
That's EXACTLY what I was just thinking. She didn't have any problem after I told her I couldn't do that. She just said ok. I took her dcg and another dcb to the park yesterday as a treat and she just wanted to make sure we weren't going back. She said she understood and that the backyard was fine.
tymaboy 06:09 AM 04-22-2010
I have it written that if a child can not participate in our activities then the child should be kept home.
Daycare Mommy 06:13 AM 04-22-2010
My policy applies to allergy symptoms as well. Mine says that runny noses, coughing, sneezing, & runny eyes due to allergies or mild cold must be effectively treated to attend daycare. Also children must be able to participate in regular daycare activities which include outside playtime daily weather permitting.

What are her symptoms? What exactly is she allergic to? If it's just eye/nose irritation or something else mild or treatable then I'd insist on my policies if she wants to stay. If she truly can't go outside then I'd consider that a special need that I'm not equipped to deal with. If that's the case, I'd recommend that she find a daycare with multiple caregivers. That way someone will be able to stay inside with her daughter during outside playtime.
TGT09 06:30 AM 04-22-2010
Clear, runny nose. Coughing. Sneezing. Runny eyes. CRANKINESS!

I think she's allergic to a few things but mother insinuated that it was outdoor allergies. Which is understandable since our pollen count is ridiculous! But, I need to be able to carry on with my daily activities. I've been putting off printing out my handbook to give out again but I might just have to do that along with a newsletter.
Unregistered 06:34 AM 04-22-2010
I like all the advice given so far and id also make the mom give me a note from the dr's office stating what the dcg's issues are and if she needs special care tell mom your not equiped to deal with it, otherwise you will stick to your normal activities..I also have it stated that if their child has 'allergie's' they are required to bring kleenex and meds..
Kiddie Care
kitkat 06:52 AM 04-22-2010
If mom wants, she can give dcg Zyrtec or Benedryl, even at that young of an age. The pediatrician or a pharmacist can tell her the appropriate dosage. If she's been tested for allergies, then the dr. should have given mom that info.

I'd tell mom we are going outside and if she wants to give dcg some meds, she should do it at bedtime to help counteract the drowsiness that it may cause. Or, mom can keep her at home if she can't go outside.
TGT09 07:05 AM 04-22-2010
She made the comment "I can't keep her souped up on Benedryl".
Crystal 07:17 AM 04-22-2010
Claritin, fluconisol (nasal sparay), etc. are good alternatives to Benadryl and they work VERY WELL. They do not cause the symptoms of Benadryl either.

My son has SEVERE allergies and has been using these since he was little, they work great.

If Mom has had allergy testing done, I'd request a doctor's note with advice on how to treat the allergies. I DOUBT she has had any testing done....most Doctor's refuse to test before at least two years of age.
boysx5 07:27 AM 04-22-2010
that is crazy my eight year old son has horrible allergies and asthma and if its that bad I keep him home they don't have someone at school to stay in with him. I give him his meds and thats all I can. I have tons with runny noses and we don't stay in if they want they then stay home. I love when they blame allergies on everything
tymaboy 07:30 AM 04-22-2010
What does she do when she has allergies? I bet she makes sure she constantly has something in her system!
Daycare Mommy 08:00 AM 04-22-2010
Clear, runny nose. Coughing. Sneezing. Runny eyes. CRANKINESS!

I think she's allergic to a few things but mother insinuated that it was outdoor allergies. Which is understandable since our pollen count is ridiculous! But, I need to be able to carry on with my daily activities. I've been putting off printing out my handbook to give out again but I might just have to do that along with a newsletter.
OMG! Unbelievable! Of course her daughter is cranky, she is SUFFERING!! I have the same allergy symptoms minus the cough and it is absolutely miserable when the pollen comes in. Being inside is NOT enough. Is she digging at her mouth and nose? Even if she sometimes isn't showing symptoms indoors the first ones to come on could be itchy eyes, nose, mouth, and throat. Obviously she needs meds to stay comfortable this time of year. I don't like Benadryl either due to the drowsiness it can cause in some people, but if she isn't old enough for Claritin yet, it'll get the job done in the mean time. If she goes to the doc they'll probably be able to give her something else anyway. Zyrtec or a lower dosage of Claritin maybe? She should take her in. I'd make a stand on this with mom requiring meds for the little girl's sake. I just realized this post may sound nasty, just know it's not directed at you...it's at the mom. I just survived one of my worst allergy season yet, so the misery is fresh on my mind and I can't imagine surviving it without any relief! Good luck with this and I hope you can get her some help soon!
TGT09 10:13 AM 04-22-2010
Daycare Mommy, thanks for the clarification but I understood it was directed at her. Her Mom is very young and Dad is in Iraq. I feel for the little girl but this is just one of MANY things I've had an issue with both of them. :-( Because, I am a younger provider also, they think I have no knowledge but I've watched a ridiculous amount of children over the years and learned from experience. Sometimes, I feel bad sticking to my guns about being "right" about something, especially illness.

DCM just picked her up and I told her that she really needs to be on some meds and she agreed. Hopefully she'll call the doctor today since they leave for vacation tomorrow.

Oh yeah, just the topper to what I'm saying about these two...I had NO clue they were going on vacation nor that I wasn't going to have her tomorrow until JUST now! UGH UGH UGH!
booroo 12:45 PM 04-22-2010
Well I know there are meds she can be on.... My dd now 7 has suffered with allergies since she was a year, and she was on meds... This mom is crazy... I hope you charge her for the vacation time she is taking , I would.... Sorry this lady is pain in the butt!!! Good luck!
TGT09 01:57 PM 04-22-2010
Oh how I wish I could. She's a drop-in sort of every day of every week! No set schedule and only if I have the ability to take dcg (which most of the time, I do).
TGT09 06:19 PM 04-22-2010
DCM just e-mailed me to say she went to grocery and asked the pharmacist there if there was anything she could give her and the pharmacist says no! She said she went back to the section and there was an allergy blocker to put on her nose or something. So she bought that.

Now, I'm even more annoyed and I don't know if it's at her or the pharmacist! I told her to call dcg's doctor still.
Crystal 07:05 PM 04-22-2010
SINGULAIR and Your Child: Allergies and children
Millions of children have seasonal allergies, perennial (year-round) allergies, or both. If you are a parent of a child with allergies, you know how hard it can be on him or her (not to mention on you). Children sometimes cannot (or do not) tell you about their allergy symptoms. There are, however, some signs you may notice that could mean your child has allergies.

Does your child have any of the following symptoms?

A frequent congested, runny, or itchy nose
Dark circles under the eyes
Frequent breathing through the mouth
Pushing up on the nose with his or her hands (especially younger children)
Recurrent ear problems
A congested, itchy, runny nose and sneezing are common symptoms of indoor and outdoor allergies, also called indoor and outdoor allergic rhinitis (rye-NITE-iss) or hay fever. These symptoms can affect your child's everyday life. That's why it is so important to talk to your child's doctor about allergy symptoms and allergy treatments.

Facts about kids and allergies:

Allergies are believed to affect up to 40% of children in the United States.
When one or both parents have allergies, there is a greater likelihood that their child will too.
Most allergies first appear during childhood.
Allergies are more likely to develop in the oldest child in the family.
Allergies are more common in boys than girls. By adulthood, however, the number of men and women who have allergies is about the same.
Ask your child's doctor about a different way to treat indoor and outdoor allergies.

SINGULAIR is a prescription medicine approved for relief of symptoms of indoor and outdoor allergies (outdoor allergies in adults and children as young as 2 years and indoor allergies in adults and children as young as 6 months).
TGT09 04:25 AM 04-23-2010
I know there are things. I am so beyond frustrated. Maybe she'll come back next Tuesday and feel a little better. I highly doubt it since they are going on a plane which has always exacerbated anything that I had allergy or sinus wise. Once they get back, I'm sure I'll have to "make" her understand about going to the doctor for it but I think after four days of dcg's whining, she'll probably go easily. :-)
toddletots 04:54 AM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
The parent might want to look in to center care and see if they are willing to keep the child in during recess.
Center's also have requirements to go outside everyday weather permitting. We can't have staff stay in with a child. We just don't have enough people and it can put another room out of ratio. Our policy is if the child is to sick to be outside then they can't be in childcare.

The past week we have had one exception due to a child burning his hand on the family bbq grill. The doctors said he can participate in all activities but outside. We have made adjustments to our playground schedule to accomodate this incident so that he is in my room while his class is outside, and to stay in ratio, on of my children goes outside with his group. At the end of the day he does have to go out and sit with a staff member as both classrooms combine on the playground. His mom usually picks up about 10 minutes after we go outside.
Daycare Mommy 04:57 AM 04-23-2010
DCM just e-mailed me to say she went to grocery and asked the pharmacist there if there was anything she could give her and the pharmacist says no! She said she went back to the section and there was an allergy blocker to put on her nose or something. So she bought that.

Now, I'm even more annoyed and I don't know if it's at her or the pharmacist! I told her to call dcg's doctor still.
Ugh! Ok. Maybe there is nothing over the counter labeled for children under 2, but I'll read you this from the label of "Children's Claritin" that she can go see at any pharmacy for herself.

Directions
Children 2 to under 6 years of age; 1 tsp daily.
Children under 2 years of age; ask a doctor

She needs to call her child's doc and find out what she can give her and the dosages. The doc may just tell her over the phone without an appointment. I would insist on something before she returns. And I'm not familiar with nasal allergy blockers, and I could be wrong here but I don't imagine that helps with the pollen that gets in her eyes... I'd still push for an oral med for this considering the symptoms aren't just nasal.
TGT09 06:42 AM 04-23-2010
I agree about the blockers. Mom even made the comment "now she'll be good to go outside to the park or wherever". I'm just at a loss that there are parents that medicate themselves but don't worry about their children suffering from the same thing.
MarinaVanessa 07:05 AM 04-23-2010
I agree about that. I don't like medications and stear clear of them any chance I can but when my daughter is sick and miserable and my doctor recommends something I still give it to her. I don't think it's fair for children to feel miserable if there's something that I can give her.

As for your situation, I'm glad that you stuck to your guns. It really isn't fair to the rest of the children to have to have them all couped up because of just one. I have a waiver that I have all parents sign about children participating in all activities that I have planned. In my list of symptoms for exclusion I have also added "Too tired or fussy to participate in normal activities." I think you're right about giving everyone an updated handbook or like you said a newsletter. Sounds to me like when they return it's a good time to hand them out.
sahm2three 12:52 PM 04-23-2010
If she doesn't want to give meds, there are a TON of natural things that can be done to ease allergies. I can help out with a small list of things you could pass on if you are interested.
TGT09 01:04 PM 04-23-2010
The odd thing is I don't think she objects to giving her meds so that's why I'm a bit peeved. I have an organic family on the other hand and yes they do!
neuf08 10:50 AM 04-26-2010
I would definitely consider sending out your handbook and newsletter now. Make sure you have an official policy on the topic, and I'm sure it will help you later as this type of thing is bound to come up all the time. Even most center daycares have some level of difficulty with such requests. But your policy should definitely include something regarding making sure the child is well enough or well medicated. There are some good options out there so she doesn't have to be "souped up on Benadryl" all day. She can speak with their allergist and get a prescription. There are also some good homeopathic remedies out there that help to treat symptoms. Some of these can even work over time to help the body's own natural defenses kick in better to overcome the allergies completely. Children's Allergy Relief is a good homeopathic one. So that's something you could recommend to DCM is she's reluctant to medicate with other things.
TGT09 08:54 AM 04-29-2010
I ended up losing this dcg after having this all last week and one day this week. DCM found out DCD was cheating on her from Iraq and she grabbed the girl and moved home, which is 3 hours away. My first dck to leave. :-( I have mixed feelings about this as she was quite a terror at times (not to mention dcm was little to be desired) but dcg and I had grown attached to each other.
Childminder 11:38 AM 04-29-2010
How sad for the poor baby to have another bond broken. It is so important to have continuity of care at her age. Sad for mom, too.
TGT09 11:48 AM 04-29-2010
:-( I know. It was like she knew yesterday when DCM came to get her because she clung to me.
Tags:allergies, medication
Reply Up