Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Space Theme Help
Nu2biz 01:12 PM 05-20-2011
Hello, I'm still pretty new to home child care. Last summer I did a space theme and am wanting to do it again this year. I would love some ideas on how to make it more hands on/interactive. I only three children two of my own 15 months and 8 years and one dck who is 4. As you can tell I am limited on budget. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! . Thanks!
Unregistered 06:22 AM 05-21-2011
Hi, my kids the space theme! We have collected small rocks and painted them silver for "moon rocks". also, decorate two paper bowls[like paper plates, but bowls, not the shiny kids, more like cardboard] with markers stickers etc. glue together to make a space ship. then glue a pom pom with googly eyes on top and cover with a small applesauce[clear] container so it looks like the "alien" is flying the ship. that one came from Mr Maker!
We have drawn our own space ships and planned our own planets with everything we would want in our world. Hope that helps!
Nu2biz 12:00 PM 05-21-2011
Thanks so much!! It does help alot.
Abigail 03:05 PM 05-21-2011
For a Space Theme....what do you want to focus it on?

Aliens?
Space Ships?
Space Shuttles?
Moon/Stars?
melskids 02:21 AM 05-23-2011
we paper maiche'd balloons and painted them to look like planets. we even paper maiche'd a huge punching balloon to be the sun, and then hung them all up in the DC room.
AfterSchoolMom 04:13 AM 05-23-2011
Make your own moon sand

A sensory tub (here's an example but you may need to adjust for age appropriateness)

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...playdough.html

The playdoh in the above example

Sponge painted "stars" on black paper (cut sponges to shape, use silver, white, and yellow paint)

Get a large cardboard box, pretend it's a rocket, and play "blast off"

Space story books
Nu2biz 06:52 AM 05-24-2011
Good question. Last year we talked about the planets, stars (contilations) how they are born and "die". My (then) three year learned how many planets. My son learned the names. I really not sure what I want to focus on.
Tags:theme - space, themes
Reply Up