Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your State's Definition Of School Age?
Unregistered 09:39 AM 06-06-2014
I can't seem to find the definition anywhere, but is a child that attends a Preschool and is bussed back and forth considered "school age" by your state's definition?
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 06-06-2014
No. Going to preschool doesn't make a child school age.

My state considers a child school age 4 months prior to actual Kindergarten attendance/eligibility.

But that will be changing to age 5. period. Whether in school or not.

What state are you in?
Unregistered 09:47 AM 06-06-2014
I'm in MA. I am guessing it's probably that age everywhere, but I couldn't find any info.
Annalee 09:49 AM 06-06-2014
My license lady told me the other day when the school year ends around end of May, then the ones going to kindergarten in August are considered school-age in TN. BUT my previous license lady would let me consider children school age when they registered for kindergarten which happens in April of the previous year.....
Crazy8 10:08 AM 06-06-2014
our regulations do not mention "school age" at all but uses "below 6 years old" in some regulations so I am going to assume school age to them is 6+. I guess because kindergarten is age 5 and kindergarten is not mandatory.
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm in MA. I am guessing it's probably that age everywhere, but I couldn't find any info.
I did find this:

INFANTS (0-15 months): One adult for first 3 children, and another for the next 4, in groups no larger than 7.

TODDLERS (15-33 months): One adult for first 4 children, and another for the next 5, in groups no larger than 9.

PRESCHOOLERS (2.9-5 years): One adult for every 10 children, in groups no larger than 20.

http://www.ccrcinc.org/pdf/Types%20o...lance%20II.pdf
Leanna 10:27 AM 06-06-2014
Don;t know about MA but in NY they are considered school-age after the last day of the school year prior to Kindergarten.
NightOwl 11:40 AM 06-06-2014
No, in Alabama. Our kids must be 5 yrs before September 2nd to be considered officially school aged. My minimum standards has it in the definitions section.
nanglgrl 11:49 AM 06-06-2014
In Iowa children are considered school age after they actually start their first day of kindergarten.
KSDC 12:50 PM 06-06-2014
In Kansas, SA is age 5. On their 5th birthday they move up the that level for capacity numbers.
Wubby 01:17 PM 06-06-2014
Oregon sucks, kinders aren't school-age until the last day of kindergarten.
CraftyMom 01:33 PM 06-06-2014
hmmmm I am in MA but I'm double guessing now

I'm pretty sure it's kindergarten, however since kindergarten is not required in MA I'm wondering if it's when they start elementary school. So if they start in K they are school age, but if they don't go to K then it's when they start 1st grade?

I'm going to ask my licensor because now I'm curious

I know it is definitely not preschool unfortunately
Lucy 06:16 PM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Wubby:
Oregon sucks, kinders aren't school-age until the last day of kindergarten.
I don't know for sure, but I kinda think it reads "under 6" in our regulations for Oregon. I don't think the term "school-age" is even used. But basically, they're kind of defining "school-age" as the child's 6th birthday.

We can have 10 total. OF those 10, we can only have:

6 under 6
2 under 2

(or all 10 can be 6 and older if you want, but the ages above are restricted to those amounts.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always been under the impression that it read. I've never been in a situation where the numbers mattered, so I haven't paid much attention.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:27 PM 06-06-2014
I'm in MA, and my licensor told me "5 and enrolled in kindergarten." I only realized last year that that means "going to kindergarten this fall" counts in the summer time. It also means my 5-year-old daughter will never be "school-aged," since she'll be homeschooled. They say I need to count her in my preschool numbers all along. Stupid!
SilverSabre25 07:38 PM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I'm in MA, and my licensor told me "5 and enrolled in kindergarten." I only realized last year that that means "going to kindergarten this fall" counts in the summer time. It also means my 5-year-old daughter will never be "school-aged," since she'll be homeschooled. They say I need to count her in my preschool numbers all along. Stupid!
well that's dumb... SO GLAD I don't have to be licensed. And my state says my own kids only count until they are six.
Wubby 08:43 PM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I don't know for sure, but I kinda think it reads "under 6" in our regulations for Oregon. I don't think the term "school-age" is even used. But basically, they're kind of defining "school-age" as the child's 6th birthday.

We can have 10 total. OF those 10, we can only have:

6 under 6
2 under 2

(or all 10 can be 6 and older if you want, but the ages above are restricted to those amounts.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always been under the impression that it read. I've never been in a situation where the numbers mattered, so I haven't paid much attention.

That's what I always thought (19 yrs), but I asked my lunch lady (usda) and she said the day after, the last day of kinder, regardless of age, they become school-age. I have a 5yr old that did kinder in 2 months and they advanced him to first.
Lucy 08:48 PM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Wubby:
That's what I always thought (19 yrs), but I asked my lunch lady (usda) and she said the day after, the last day of kinder, regardless of age, they become school-age. I have a 5yr old that did kinder in 2 months and they advanced him to first.
Ok, but the difference is that she's USDA. I'm pretty sure their definition, for the purposes of food quantities and such, are different than our state's definition for the purposes of ratios and age limits.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Country Kids will know!! She needs to chime in......
Wubby 08:58 PM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Ok, but the difference is that she's USDA. I'm pretty sure their definition, for the purposes of food quantities and such, are different than our state's definition for the purposes of ratios and age limits.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Country Kids will know!! She needs to chime in......

Oh she better be right. I went 8 months with him being a school-age. I asked her because I had called licensing 4 times and left messages with out a response.
Febby 09:38 PM 06-06-2014
I'm in Kentucky and, if I remember correctly, they don't count as school age until they start kindergarten.
Tags:regulations, school age
Reply Up