Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My, How Times Have Changed!
melskids 10:04 AM 03-28-2012
So we're learning about garbage right now, (we've been hooked on this topic for weeks!) and today I was reading a book about a garbage man and his truck.

The copyright is 1956.

In one part it said "and after the garbage truck left the town, all of the men went back to work, and all of the women went back to washing dishes."

And it went on to say...

" And then the truck brought the garbage to the swamps, because that's where garbage goes....We use it to fill in swamp lands."

Aren't wetlands federally protected now?!?!?

Funny how much things have changed in 60 years!
Heidi 10:09 AM 03-28-2012
You should check out the old sex-ed or war-readiness videos on Youtube sometime! They are hilarious.

Those only prove my point, though. People we SO sure that these things were black-and-white at one time. Heck, once they thought the earth was flat.

Now the experts (I resisted putting that word in quotes) are SURE that I need to have a written curriculum and written individual goals for each of my children, lest they not learn enough and be ruined for life!
Hunni Bee 10:23 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
In one part it said "and after the garbage truck left the town, all of the men went back to work, andall of the women went back to washing dishes."

Meeko 10:52 AM 03-28-2012
We have a lot of war era magazines. Time, Life, Womens Home Journal etc. They are hysterical to read...mainly the ads! They have ads showing doctors smoking, all the women are standing by stoves in skirts, high heels and pearls etc...it's a riot!
GretasLittleFriends 11:17 AM 03-28-2012
You mean this isn't the norm at your house?

Meeko 12:03 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:

LOL! Of course! and with the bulletproof pointed bra too!!
Heidi 12:12 PM 03-28-2012

HEY!!! Who used my picture without authorization? I'll sue, I tell you! I'll sue!

Ariana 12:14 PM 03-28-2012
That woman looks demented! LOL
spud912 02:25 PM 03-28-2012

Yes, down to the heels and apron. Doesn't every women scrub toilets with heels on??!?!
GretasLittleFriends 06:47 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
Yes, down to the heels and apron. Doesn't every women scrub toilets with heels on??!?!
Thank you so much!! You've just turned on a light bulb for me.

I often use the FlyLady's website for cleaning/org guidance. One thing she really stresses is getting dressed each morning to your shoes. I have a "no shoes on in the house" policy. Maybe I need to be wearing my high heels (that I NEVER wear anywhere else because I don't have anywhere that fancy to go) so I can be more productive like this lady (pictured above)?!

Maybe that is the secret to the perfection from women in the 50's...
spud912 07:22 AM 03-29-2012
Thank you so much!! You've just turned on a light bulb for me.

I often use the FlyLady's website for cleaning/org guidance. One thing she really stresses is getting dressed each morning to your shoes. I have a "no shoes on in the house" policy. Maybe I need to be wearing my high heels (that I NEVER wear anywhere else because I don't have anywhere that fancy to go) so I can be more productive like this lady (pictured above)?!

Maybe that is the secret to the perfection from women in the 50's...
Hey, what's the point of owning them if you're not going to wear them, right?!?!
melskids 07:31 AM 03-29-2012
The only way I'd look that happy in the kitchen is if I drank all the wine instead of cooking with it.

And I don't even drink.
Sunchimes 08:59 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
That woman looks demented! LOL
Wouldn't you look demented if you had to do housework in heels and a tight-skirted cocktail dress? I certainly would!!
Reply Up