Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runny nose and bad impression
mduck 01:49 PM 04-24-2015
Dcg grandpa picked up today. I've heard he's a little over protective of her. And had made comments about a former caregiver putting her in her car seat too roughly. So I'm a little anxious when he picks up.

Anyway, she was fighting a runny nose today and I had taken the kids outside to await his pickup. Dcg (16 months) is very spirited and kept trying to wiggle away from me to head for the side walk that leads to my house. She runs so fast and is still a little wobbly (mostly from just being rambunctious). I did not want her to get skinned up, so I was concentrating on that mostly when he drove up. So when he got out of his truck I ler her run to him and told him I would get her car seat and bag out of the house. I remembered her nose and grabbed a few tissues and as I walked out on the porch, I told him I was stuffing the tissues in the bag, because her nose was running pretty bad today. He said, "Yeah, she just wiped her nose on my sleeve." I couldn't tell if he was a little upset about my not catching it. As if I just let it run down her face while she was out playing. I had my pockets stuffed with tissues while we were outside just in case, but I guess I didn't catch it in time.

I'm one of those that worries after the fact.
Thriftylady 01:52 PM 04-24-2015
I worry also about things. I have anxiety so I know that usually I am worried over nothing doesn't make me feel better though. But the parents choose you right? If they want to use you that is all you need.
Unregistered 01:57 PM 04-24-2015
I'm a over thinker too. You really do not have anything to worry over though, really! You probably just read his face wrong
Kabob 01:58 PM 04-24-2015
I tend to worry over little things too, but it helps me to either ask people directly about the issue that is bugging me or simply remind myself that not everyone freaks out about the little things like I do. And if he did freak out about a runny nose, then clearly he either needs to not pick up anymore or tell the parents to find a nanny...kids get runny noses...
mduck 02:34 PM 04-24-2015
I realize that catching a runny nose as soon as it peaks out, is a pretty unrealistic expectation especially since I'm watching as many as 4 at a time (the other 3 are my own children). Watching for multiple children's safety while they run in the front yard at the same time takes precedence over checking nostrils constantly, I know. But I don't know that 'they' know. You know?

I think parents hone in on their own children (we all do to some degree) and their needs and the rest are, well, other peoples kids. Childcare/Sunday School type settings have really shown me how to step aside and see a bigger picture. I remember there was a complaint from a parent about a kids church class and that they didn't think the time out chair was a needed. Soon after that comment, it was set up so that each parent would take a turn at the class. There were no more comments about wanting the timeout chair to be removed This was many years ago, and I know now that some don't think time outs are appropriate. But, opinions on that aside, my point is that experiencing child care is different from seeing it from the outside.
Josiegirl 02:53 PM 04-24-2015
I have 1 dcd who always seems to be noticing at pick up that either his child/ren or another child needs a tissue. I can't help it, dcd, if your kids are the runniest nosed kids I have. And then when both dcps came to pick up today, dcm picks up one of the kids and said ew, you stink, did you do something? Sure enough. I didn't catch it as I was picking up our playdough mess all over the floor and had just changed their dd half an hour before. I don't always have the best sniffer to always catch them and I always check diapers every hour. But I still felt I shoulda got that, ya know? I did whip said stinky child out of dcm's arms and changed her as quick as I could.
Unregistered 10:31 AM 04-25-2015
I have a family that when I tell them their child has a runny nose so please watch to see if it turns green or yellow keep child home, they come back the next day and say no runny nose at all at home. I'm thinking uh huh then why am I wiping your child's nose all day today. So at pick up when they arrive I purposely don't wipe dck nose until they are holding dck, then I'll walk up with tissue and say "here's some tissue for the ride home since dck had runny nose all day again." After that they don't question when I say dck has a runny nose.
Reply Up