Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking the Plunge
Silly Songs 09:24 AM 04-26-2015
I am seriously looking into starting my own daycare . I will be spending most of June doing research and trying to find a place to run it from . If that goes well I will apply for my license and insurance and try to get equipment in July. I am trying to get everything in order by early August so I can get up and running for the start of the school year . What else do I need to consider ?
Thriftylady 09:33 AM 04-26-2015
Start working on your parent handbook and contract!
ashleyh 01:19 PM 04-26-2015
I'd look in to demographics, and the demand of what parts of town have what demands for age groups. Start finding out now and that will help you determine where your program will be a great fit, or can help spark an idea for program needs!
Rainbow 05:52 PM 04-26-2015
Apply for your license now! I don't know what the licensing process is like in Texas, but it took me 7 months from the time I sent in my application until I was licensed. If I had known it would take me that long I would have applied sooner. Better to get it early than late.
Silly Songs 07:12 PM 04-26-2015
I guess it makes sense to apply for my license now . However , I won't be able to open a business if I can't find a space at a reasonable cost . I am not running the daycare from my home , for a number of reasons . I think I know which areas I want to focus on . It's either the energy corridor or the medical center area . I am currently inquiring about the needs of the employees from a few of the oil companies . I have a few friends who work for some of them , and they are helping me to connect with some people in H.R. so I can gauge the needs . I am going to try to fill the needs of higher earners . The hours may be longer .
Annalee 07:18 PM 04-26-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I guess it makes sense to apply for my license now . However , I won't be able to open a business if I can't find a space at a reasonable cost . I am not running the daycare from my home , for a number of reasons . I think I know which areas I want to focus on . It's either the energy corridor or the medical center area . I am currently inquiring about the needs of the employees from a few of the oil companies . I have a few friends who work for some of them , and they are helping me to connect with some people in H.R. so I can gauge the needs . I am going to try to fill the needs of higher earners . The hours may be longer .
In my state, licenses are based on the facility housing the daycare through approval from fire, health & environment, etc. Licenses are not issued until the facility is fully inspected and passed. Licenses do not transfer here either for the same reasons. The facility has to be approved first.
Unregistered 02:38 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by Rainbow:
Apply for your license now! I don't know what the licensing process is like in Texas, but it took me 7 months from the time I sent in my application until I was licensed. If I had known it would take me that long I would have applied sooner. Better to get it early than late.
Same here....took me 6 months in a state other than Texas! Also, Instead of quitting my really great paying job I would have waited until I was licensed and could take the maximum children!
Reply Up