Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I’m at My Wits End
tenderhearts 03:57 PM 04-27-2015
I have been on here before about this baby. He's 9 mo now and he STILL will not nap, he is different every single day. He still does not sleep good at night. I've talked with parents numerous time how they need to work with him to get him to sleep and learn to sleep on his own. I have been doing every thing I can here with cio and it does not get better and I have been consistent. He will NOT settle. I tried something new today where the moment he woke up I went in there and put my hand firmly on his back when he tried to get up to prevent him from standing, he never cried during this and I sat there with him not touching not saying anything he ended up sleeping an hour. I had to do this once during his nap. I tried after the hour to do it but he wouldn't go back to sleep I stayed in there and just kept him down if he tried to get up. He again never cried during this. After 15 min and he didn't go back to sleep I got him up.
Now my husband thinks I should not do this however he doesn't know that the cio is the best either.
What do you think, this baby is sooooo much better when he sleeps good. Please I don't know what else to do other than there is absolutley no option in letting him go.
Any ideas? I have never in my 15 years have had a baby like this,ever. He is a high needs but I just can't seem to find anything that will work at least here when he's with me since mom wont do anything but nurse him every hour and a half and rock him.
Thriftylady 04:09 PM 04-27-2015
I have his 13mo sister. She started last week and cried ALL of naptime. Today, she went to sleep shortly before naptime ended but only slept 20 minutes. Honestly, some kids are harder, especially when their parents are not changing their ways. Usually, if you can get parents to change, you see it in the kiddos.
tenderhearts 04:49 PM 04-27-2015
Oh I'm sorry you have his sister. lol

He just wont settle, it seems letting him cry makes it worse for me after nap because once he's upset like that he doesn't settle easy and he just continues to be fussy.
Do you think I'm starting something new standing at the pnp and putting my hand on his back when he tried to get up? I'm simply doing it because he doesn't cry and my hope is that he'll learn to at least settle in there without being held and getting past that 20-30 min nap cycle.
Thriftylady 04:51 PM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Oh I'm sorry you have his sister. lol

He just wont settle, it seems letting him cry makes it worse for me after nap because once he's upset like that he doesn't settle easy and he just continues to be fussy.
Do you think I'm starting something new standing at the pnp and putting my hand on his back when he tried to get up? I'm simply doing it because he doesn't cry and my hope is that he'll learn to at least settle in there without being held and getting past that 20-30 min nap cycle.
I have found with mine that standing near her doesn't help. Today I left the door open so we could see each other, but this was day six after a weekend. If I go in there, it makes it worse. Only difference is mine can be tired and not a cranky mess. She can actually be tired and happy. Never seen such a thing lol but seriously she can get up after crying for an hour and a half and be just a joy.
Laurel 01:41 AM 04-28-2015
I had a similar problem. The baby just wouldn't nap well. Then magically it changed in one week. The solution? I told the mom (wonderful family) that I had tried everything and nothing had worked so I had no choice but to discontinue care if things didn't change. I told her I would try for about another 2 weeks. It changed in 2 days! It was because she changed things at home. Before that, she had no incentive to change. I think she was giving him a bottle in the mornings and then letting him sleep some more while she got ready for work to give herself a break. She said she stopped doing that and he slept at my house perfectly.

Sometimes the parents need a 'reason' to get their act together at home.

Laurel
Tags:naptime issues
Reply Up