Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going INSANE With This One!
Soupyszoo 11:33 AM 05-02-2012
10 mo obese dcb is on my last nerve! He has the most obnoxious cry. He doesn't cry for any given reason... He just does this high pitched squeal/yell thing.

He wakes up from his nap this way... I go in to get him, put on my best happy face and he STILL cries even though I'm getting him up from his pack n play. I bring him out to play and he will just sits there and squeals until he decides it's time to stop.

He just slept 3 hours. He can't still be tired?? Can he?? Am I getting him up too soon once I hear him start to "cry"?? So frustrated! I can't stand the whining crying wails anymore, I feel like I'm going crazy!

I've never heard a kid's voice fluctuate from one extreme to another in one breathe like this before!!! He's very talented
lilcupcakes09 11:43 AM 05-02-2012
I would leave him in there if he wakes up crying, from my experience, when they wake up fussing they will usually go back to sleep.
I have had a few of these "loud" cryers too,luckily, I can ignore the shrill most of the time! I have also found that these are the kids who get picked up at home immediately at every peep. In time they get over it once they learn I'm not falling for it....all I can say is patience
Soupyszoo 11:52 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I would leave him in there if he wakes up crying, from my experience, when they wake up fussing they will usually go back to sleep.
I have had a few of these "loud" cryers too,luckily, I can ignore the shrill most of the time! I have also found that these are the kids who get picked up at home immediately at every peep. In time they get over it once they learn I'm not falling for it....all I can say is patience
It's funny you said that because dcm drops off yesterday and says, "it's so cute... He just wants to stand all the time now... And if I don't hold him up he starts crying right away..." I just thought, "Yep... That's freaking ADORABLE, you $&@!#*!!" what is wrong with parents?!?!
Lilbutterflie 12:23 PM 05-02-2012
I have one who likes to sit a while after waking up. Sometimes he will go right back to sleep. If I get him too soon; he is whiny and cries for much of the afternoon. I would try leaving him in there for a little while and see if that helps!
cheerfuldom 12:32 PM 05-02-2012
Getting in the habit of screaming until he is held upright is not good at all. It makes the baby happy for a new view and thus addicting to the constant assistance needed, mom is happy thinking he is "doing" something new but in reality, they aren't teaching him anything by propping him upright like that.

What is his schedule and nap schedule like? I would still have a 10 month old on two naps a day.
Soupyszoo 02:09 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Getting in the habit of screaming until he is held upright is not good at all. It makes the baby happy for a new view and thus addicting to the constant assistance needed, mom is happy thinking he is "doing" something new but in reality, they aren't teaching him anything by propping him upright like that.

What is his schedule and nap schedule like? I would still have a 10 month old on two naps a day.
Definitely 2 naps a day, however lately his first nap is sometimes 4 hours. He's really tired.
3girls 03:44 PM 05-02-2012
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but is it possible the child is more comfortable in an upright position? Some sort of acid reflux type thing? Especially if the baby is obese, there could be a medical reason for the crying.
littlemommy 04:35 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I have a 4 month old addicted to the bumbo seat. He's in it all the time at home and cries until i sit him up here. He's nowhere near sitting up on his own, and I don't use the bumb
o here. Yes, the parents are excited to do something new with him, but to make him dependant on it is not good. He was the same way with the swing. Wouldn't sleep without it. I put mine away and he learned to sleep without it..but it took a while. Not sure what to do about this bumbo thing tho.
jojosmommy 07:35 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
Agreed 100%. Once they learn you take them out when they are not crying they stop doing that to get out. I have even put them in for practice, then do the shhh sign then take them out right away as long as they aren't crying. I even have done it regularly with my just turned two year old who forgets this every Monday.
wdmmom 08:02 PM 05-02-2012
Are you sure this isn't a child I had in my daycare before?! Sounds like a former family I worked for. DCM was dumber than a box of rocks, DCD was living in the house but very unattentative and didn't seem to care he was a father and the child came in with more problems than I ever could imagine.

Very delayed, spit up (as mom called it. I called it puking and it was a frequent as every breath he took!!!) He was high demand and had a very high pitched squeal.

The day they left was great! I didn't have to steam clean my carpets every single week, the days ahead were so much easier and I found myself more happy as well.

My suggestion would be to term. The parents aren't going to change the way they parent and you can't always be there to one on one this child to keep him happy throughout the day.
Lucy 08:23 PM 05-02-2012
Haven't read any responses yet, but curious as to why you threw in "obese"?? Obviously because he's chunky, but what does that have to do with your story? Not criticizing, just wondering.

That being said, maybe the cries have to do with his excessive hunger. Just thinking.
jenny31052 12:42 AM 05-03-2012
I had a girl like that... she would wake up and scream, not crying, whining, but screaming until someone picked her up. I started to leave her in the pack and play until she was done with her show, and she has been fine for the past 6 months

I also had one that didn't fall asleep without the swing (according to the parents) - well, she didn't like my swing at all, and quickly learned to fall asleep on her own, in the pack and play
Soupyszoo 06:56 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but is it possible the child is more comfortable in an upright position? Some sort of acid reflux type thing? Especially if the baby is obese, there could be a medical reason for the crying.
This is a good point! I hadn't thought about that. Dcm informed me today that dcb is eating 12oz of formula per feeding now...
Soupyszoo 06:59 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Haven't read any responses yet, but curious as to why you threw in "obese"?? Obviously because he's chunky, but what does that have to do with your story? Not criticizing, just wondering.

That being said, maybe the cries have to do with his excessive hunger. Just thinking.
That's exactly why I threw it in. It could possibly be part of the reason. Like someone said, possibly reflux, or like you said maybe he's very hungry.
Meyou 07:02 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
This is a good point! I hadn't thought about that. Dcm informed me today that dcb is eating 12oz of formula per feeding now...

Is just me or is that crazy?!?!?
Soupyszoo 07:13 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:

Is just me or is that crazy?!?!?
Extremely crazy! I believe that's what my face looked like when she told me

She also told me the other day that she feeds him Cheetos and other junk food that he can gum up. He has acne already from all the junk food

Here he gets nothing but healthy stuff. I feel bad for him. The reflux thing is a definite possibility. With his weight and whatever diet he has at home... He could have acid reflux and could also be having withdrawals from the sugars she gives him.

I don't know... He's worse today... She thinks he may be teething, but he just looks out of it no fever or runny nose or coughing just extremely fussy and crying.
Meyou 07:33 AM 05-03-2012
My goodness. He might have old fashioned heartburn with that diet. Maybe mention the Gerber puffs? They even come in cheese. They aren't great but at least those would be better than cheetos.
Tags:crying for attention, loud
Reply Up