Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think It's Time To Make My Big Change
Mike 07:32 PM 01-23-2017
Very brief life story... (I hope brief) edit: sorry, not very brief

95% of my life has been self-employment, since age 15 anyway.
80% of that has been home renovations.
4 times, I got something different going, quit reno, then a few months to a couple years later, went back to reno.
I first thought about going into child care around 2005, did some thorough research in 2007, and decided no. Male daycare was pretty much non-existent, plus, income would be less than half of my reno work.

In 2009, I started doing full time reno work for the owner of 2 group homes, one for younger boys and one for older boys. Some of the boys were there long term, so I got to know them. Every now and then I would let them be my helper for little things, then a couple years later, I started feeling like I really want to work with kids. I dragged that on for a couple years, until the big change.

spring 2013...
Cousin of mine has 4 kids (3g, 5g, 5b and 7b), is single, and was fighting a battle with depression, and needed some time off. A friend of hers would take one or 2 of her kids for a few hours, but that didn't really give her a break, so I asked if she wanted me to take a couple when her friend did, so she could be on her own. She knew me her whole life, but was still one who thinks you don't leave your kids with a guy, BUT, she was desperate for a break, so said yes. For the next 4 months, her friend and I gave her lots of time off, sometimes for a few hours, other times, for a day or 2, and a couple times, even longer. I took days off work a few times to give her breaks (spend with the kids to be more accurate ). I realised how much I loved doing that, and again, looked into daycare. I found this forum, did a lot of reading for several months, then signed up. I also did preparation for my daycare, but according to research, there was no need in my area for it. (proof - In summer 2015 I saw yard sale ads for 4 closing daycares, so I did some shopping and talked to 3 of the sellers. They said the area centers like YMCA had openings, so there was no demand for home daycare)

So, summer 2015, I decided I AM doing daycare, but would have to move. Started researching supply/demand in other areas with plans to move in a few months, then, wham. The group home owner decided time to retire, close the group homes, no more work for me. Finances went downhill fast and in February 2016, I had to go on assistance. No way I could move now, so daycare was on hold again. I needed to either get more reno work, get a job, or do something else, save a little, then go, but since then, nothing has been working. Got a few job interviews, a couple small reno jobs, make a little money doing woodworking, did a photo shoot, a little tutoring, but no income.

For one more week, I'm living some place cheap. Spring 2015, I moved into a 2 unit building. Friend of mine was in the other unit. Summer 2015, owner disappeared. Gas got cut off. Had no idea where the mortgage was through, or who to contact to find out what's up, so I voluntarily took over. Put utilities in my name and put mine and my friends rent money and put it in a bank account until we were contacted by someone. Turns out is was a private mortgage and the mortgage holder had no plans to be a landlord, so he offered me cheap rent in exchange for being in charge. Fine with me. That was the same time my group home jobs stopped, so cheap rent was good. He decided he wants to sell the place and I couldn't buy it, so he listed it.

Back in November, I made a decision. One more try. Told all family and friends (total of about 10 people), that if I don't have something going by spring, I'm finished. I'll tell the owner, sorry, you have to deal with the building yourself because I'm leaving. I will store most of my stuff, pack my basics, and move where daycare is in demand.

Spring hasn't sprung yet, but my decision was made sooner than planned. The owner called me Saturday and asked if I can be out by the end of the month. Building is sold and the buyer wants to start using it right away. They have to give 2 months notice, but I said I can go this week, so I'm going to be very busy the next 7 days taking all my stuff to my mother's and storage. As soon as winter is pretty much over, I'm loading my van with clothes, computer, reno/woodworking tools and supplies, and about 10 boxes of daycare stuff from the 2015 yard sales, going East or West (separate thread), and going to start daycare. Do reno, woodworking, or part time job until daycare gets going.

Unless some drastic change occurs to keep me from moving away, by April, I'm moving and starting my new, and likely final, business. Daycare until I need to retire. Nothing else is working, so it must be that time.

This wasn't that long.
lovemydaycare0912 07:47 PM 01-23-2017
I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. Sometimes change can be good! Enjoy this next chapter.
Mike 08:11 PM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. Sometimes change can be good! Enjoy this next chapter.
Thanks. If it works, I will love it.
CityGarden 10:20 PM 01-23-2017
Wow what a journey!!! I wish you the best during this busy time.
Josiegirl 01:38 AM 01-24-2017
Do what you love and it sounds like working with kids brings you joy! Good luck, I hope(KNOW) it'll work out for you! It doesn't sound like you've let life take you down yet, you keep kicking back so I know you will this time too.
Please keep us updated when you can!
Pepperth 03:16 AM 01-24-2017
Good luck on this next chapter. You've done lots of research to set yourself up for success!
DaveA 04:00 AM 01-24-2017
Good Luck!
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 01-24-2017
I agree...what a journey but finally reaching your goal sounds great! I think you will do well! You have a great attitude and lots to offer so I see success in your future for sure!
Mike 08:15 AM 01-24-2017
Thanks everyone. It will probably be a rocky beginning, but that's just part of self-employment.
Ariana 08:19 AM 01-24-2017
As I am areading this I am thinking, why not marry the two things together and do woodworking workshops for kids and daycare? You could run daycare during the week and then do workshops on the weekend for extra money if the daycare is not picking up. I think families would love that! I would sign my kids up for sure . Maybe run simple workshops for small kids and also more complex ones for older kids.

Anyway good luck Mike! Where are you heading?
Mike 08:49 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
As I am areading this I am thinking, why not marry the two things together and do woodworking workshops for kids and daycare? You could run daycare during the week and then do workshops on the weekend for extra money if the daycare is not picking up. I think families would love that! I would sign my kids up for sure . Maybe run simple workshops for small kids and also more complex ones for older kids.

I like the workshops for kids idea.

Already mixing the 2 a little. Using some of my own products for my daycare, like toys and games, and of course, going to make one of those learning boards in the other thread.

Heading? see new thread
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:

What a fantastic way to get your name out there and show parents what you can do!

I love that suggestion Ariana!
Gemma 10:16 AM 01-24-2017
Good luck to you whatever you do!
Mom2Two 12:24 PM 01-24-2017
Have you thought of employing a lady, for when you have enough kids and space to need an assistant. It might be one business model to skip the whole guy thing.

Also, if you love teaching and working with kids, schools often need paraeducators etc.

Just throwing out random ideas here... I hope that everything works great.
Mike 03:45 PM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Have you thought of employing a lady, for when you have enough kids and space to need an assistant. It might be one business model to skip the whole guy thing.

Also, if you love teaching and working with kids, schools often need paraeducators etc.

Just throwing out random ideas here... I hope that everything works great.
I've actually thought about that, maybe even part-time assistants. Even without extra kids, with a part-time assistant I could be doing a little renovation work, or a part-time job. I'm going to try to get a part-time job as son as I move to make ends meet until I get daycare going, so with an assistant, she could be taking my place on days I have to work.
Reply Up