Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do ... How to Terminate
AmandasFCC 11:48 AM 10-29-2009
I have a 4 year old in care who has pretty much been the bane of my existence since he started with me a little over a month ago. I don't know how I can adequately describe his behaviour so that you'll fully understand the frustrations, but in a nutshell, he's a know-it-all, yappy, spoiled brat. And he's pretty much a carbon copy of his father, who also is a know-it-all chatter.

I used to work with Dad before I opened the daycare. He just got custody of his son in February of this year, and until he came to me for daycare, he was sending his son to his mother's. All the while the little boy's mom is 4 provinces away.

Mom decides she's going to move here to be closer to her son in a "safer" environment. She's moving from a big city of over 1 million to a small town of 20,000. She's going to be attending the local college, so while enrolling last week over the phone they announced to her that they happen to have a space in their on-campus daycare, would she like the space? Without seeing either MY set-up or the college's, she's decided she will be taking her son out of mine and putting him into the one at the college. Her reasoning is that she won't have a vehicle and it'll be significantly easier for her to load the bus outside their house and get off right in front of the college, rather than walk a block to my house from where she'll be living. That's right. A block.

Here's my dilemma. Although I need the money from this child and have had a hell of a time filling my spaces (I have 2 open right now, 3 when this child leaves), now that they've announced he'll probably be leaving, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

The problem is Dad hasn't given "official" notice. He's really hoping that she'll come out here and check out both facilities before ripping the boy out of here. It's funny because the distance from the college itself to where the daycare is situated is about the same distance as my house to theirs, assuming her classes are on the right side of the building. If they're on the farther end then she's pulling him out for naught. I'm concerned that she's going to see this and make the "right" decision, which is to leave the boy here...

From the beginning I've done the Dad a lot of favours because I know where he works, I know the difficult shifts, and I wanted to help him out because we had that prior relationship (I know, first mistake, I don't need to be told)... My hours are typically 8-5, that's what works for all my families, but if they need a few extra minutes here and there, I don't question it. The most my hours have had to deviate for anyone else has been 7:45-5:20. Not a big deal... However, I agreed that when Dad was working day shifts I would take the boy at 6:45am. Not only that, but this month he was unable to pay his portion of his fees ($170 roughly) so I allowed him to not pay that portion and keep his son home one week on his days off. My policy is that irratic schedules pay a full time rate, period, regardless of whether they use it or not.

I feel like I've bent over backwards for him under the assumption that he won't "screw me", which were his words, not mine. Of course now I'm getting really screwed and I'm kind of of the opinion that they're a pair of flakes. I don't really want to deal with the mother at all (I've never met her), simply based on the fact that she's being so unreasonable in terms of ripping her son out of a perfectly fine daycare that they are happy with (I've been reassured of that several times over the past week) without so much as even looking at either facility ...

How can I go say to them that I just don't want to deal with them anymore, regardless of whether the space is filled? Am I justified or should I just suck it up and take him back if they ask ...
judytrickett 12:31 PM 10-29-2009
Okay, first rule of daycare - your business, your rules. Simply put that means you do not have to work with any client you do not wish to work with.

Dear Parents,

It is with regret that I inform you of termination of daycare services. After much thought and consideration I feel it is in the best interest of dcboy and your family dynamic to find alternate daycare arrangements. At the onset of care it was my understanding that you were seeking a long term arrangement for dckid. It is apparent that your needs have changed and I simply can not hold a full time spot with your pending departure.

The last date of available services will be XX November, 2009. Please note that to ensure continued care all fees, including those in arrears, must be paid in advance up to and including the final aforementioned day.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. I wish you the best of luck in your new daycare.

Daycare Provider

Unregistered 01:12 PM 10-29-2009
OOHHHH I liked Judytrickets letter, that was perfect..On the other hand though speaking from personal experiance just as your describing about the dcb, he's only been there a month, let him know the rules and explain how people dont like to listen to someone that is a know it all, tell him its nice to try to 'help' people but when they say enough he needs to stop talking, i know it sounds harsh but my family i had like that from age 4 is now 7 and although there are days i have to remind him he has gotten better, its not just your business but your house and your rules and kids do know at that age that different places have different rules, just something to keep in mind..if you're not gonna terminate id at least give dad a letter stating that all fees needed to be current and that if they are gonna be leaving that although you acknowledge a verbal notice you will not accept it as a means to terminate the childcare contract and that they need to give you two wees WRITTEN notice with two weeks fees. In my contract it states clearly that if the two weeks fees are not turned in with the notice you do not accept the notice and their daily childcare fees will be applied. Tell them once they turn everything in you will sign and date the notice and file it..
AmandasFCC 11:35 AM 11-03-2009
Thanks ladies... Oh I've tried everything to get this boy to stop talking and nothing works. Seriously, he talks his way through "quiet times" (which are my version of a time out basically) ... Anyways, I got a letter from the subsidy office letting me know that they have cancelled subsidy to me. Thanks for letting ME know!!! The problem is solved for the most part, we'll see what happens to them in the future!
canadiancare 01:27 PM 11-03-2009
If you can manage it I'd give them my notice. I know you count on your income but they won't think twice about moving on when convenient for them. Good luck.
Tags:services, spoiled, termination
Reply Up