Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Bleach Around Children
Unregistered 10:00 AM 12-31-2008
My 2 year old son attends a daycare in Lilburn, GA. Until today, I have been fairly pleased with the facility and he seems to love it. When I went to pick him up this evening, I noticed that there were several bleach marks on the back of his navy blue pants. As annoyed as I am about the pants, I am very upset that he was exposed to bleach.

Isn't there something in daycare standards or guidelines that states that chemicals should not be used around the children? In my opinion, all cleaning should be done when the children are out of the classroom as not to expose them to harmful chemicals. I am just glad that it was only his pants that were ruined and that he didn't ingest any. He sticks his hands in his mouth all of the time and could have very easily gotten very sick if he had done so after touching the bleached area. I pointed the marks on his pants to the evening teacher, who's name I do not know, and she stated that she had not noticed the marks and had no idea when it had been done.

Could someone tell me who the proper channel would be to notify? Other than bringing it up to the daycare director, I do not know what else to do. Beside, I do not think that it would do any good to report it to the director. I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide me with.
tymaboy 02:19 PM 12-31-2008
Unfortunately we are told to clean with a bleach solution. When I have my surprise visits (in home child care provider) they check to make sure that this is what I am using & they want us to clean counters & anything that the children come in contact with to clean it with the solution. They do not want us to use the bleach wipe cuz they say they do not get the surface wet enough & the surface needs to stay wet for a certain length of time after wiping it off.

I can see where you would be frustrated (I would be too) Maybe your child rubbed up against a table or something after it was just wiped off. Next time ask about it & let them know that you have bleach stains on your childs clothes then maybe they can keep more of an eye open to keep the children away from the area until it fully drys.
Unregistered 11:54 AM 01-25-2009
I work at a daycare center and we're asked to use a bleach to s*****e the rooms too, well, it's actually and bleach/water solution that's used. I personally don't use the bleach water around the LITTLE kids ever, but it's SLIGHTLY comforting to know that the amount of bleach mixed into the solution is VERY minimal so as to ensure a SLIGHTLY safer cleaning utensil around the kids. Of course bleach is always dangerous, but the intensity of the danger is lessened being that the amount of bleach in comparison with the amount of water is incredibly small.
Unregistered 01:00 PM 01-27-2009
I do believe it is required by law to use the bleach/water mixture. When i worked in the center we had to (by law) wipe down the changing table after each and every diaper changing. I suggest that you send your child to daycare in play clothing, clothing that you really don't care if it gets messed up. Lets put it this way would you rather have a little bit of bleach on your childs clothing or would you rather have your child sick all the time?
Unregistered 11:49 AM 01-31-2009
My son has to go in regular clothes because he wears uniform and so far there has been bleach on three different clothes articles. They use the bleach that comes in a bottle. I am sure it's not the proper solution. They spray it on and wipe it off and they do not rewipe with water. They do it while the 4 year olds are in the classroom. The stain on the last thing is so big it's possible for him to not only ingest it but he can also get it on his skin and it can burn him. So being that it's three different items. I am going to ask for the money for these everyday items he uses and also find the rules for my state and show it to them. I also worked in a daycare and you have to use a certain solution.
Caroline 03:46 PM 05-04-2009
Hi I am new to this website. I found it while checking for someone who wanted to put a safer alternative to bleach into local day cares in Florida. I can't imagine using bleach and do not understand why some states require that when there are other alternatives. Thanks Caroline
byoshimura 08:02 AM 06-15-2009
In California it is required for family home daycare to use a bleach/water solution diluted to a specific amount. However, it need to be night at the end of the day when all the children have gone home. This way it should be dry in the morning. So your center may simply need to change the time they clean.
FingerprintsHappen 06:28 AM 06-20-2009
We're required here in MA to use bleach or an approved disinfecting solution. Unfortunately many of the licensors only read as far as bleach,and insist that we use that. Seems contradictory to use bleach around kids, doesn't it? but if we're disinfecting the changing table between diaper changes the right way, there will still be enough bleach on the changing table to ruin the kids clothes at the next change . Eg- I change all the kids in diapers at set times during the day- 9:30 am, 11:30, 1:15, and after their naps (so usually 4:00) and also any time they have a bm in between. If i use bleach on the changer, children #2-6 will have bleached clothes. I DONT use bleach- I use another FDA approved disinfecting product because bleach sets off my asthma, and that of one of my dc children. But I have a fight with the licensor EVERY time she comes out, even though I have the exact wording of the reg highlighted for her to see that it's actually allowed in the regs to use what I do!
So while I agree w/you that bleach shouldn't be used around the kids, we're actually mandated to use it
Unregistered 03:13 AM 09-02-2009
How do I become a member
GretasLittleFriends 06:42 PM 09-02-2009
Do you mean how do you register? What I did was on the main forum page (www.daycare.com/forum) not quite 1/2 of the way down on that page there is a welcome message that says you "may have to register before you can post.

The word register is a link to sign up on the forum. Follow the prompts, enter your date of birth, read and agree to follow the rules, then come up with your user name and password.

Hope that helps!
Michael 06:47 PM 09-02-2009
To register to become a Daycare.com forum member, please go to: https://www.daycare.com/forum/register.php
Unregistered 06:53 AM 09-03-2009
I am interested in what the other FDA approved solutions would be because bleach makes me sick as well.
FingerprintsHappen 04:35 PM 09-07-2009
Anything labeled disinfectant. In order to be labeled disinfectant, it has to meet certain criteria w/the FDA etc.
I use the clorox wipes. I've also seen another solution used that they use at my gym (at a dc center) but I can't remember the name-- it's something you buy from one of those janitorial supply places online (I want to say it's baxter brand?)
Unregistered 09:29 AM 10-25-2009
when it wasn't mixed right... sat there for 2 hours while the kids where sleeping and then 4 chairs didnt get wiped off and ur kid is sat in a puddle of it and because you work there you get written up for bit**ng about it?
Former Teacher 06:05 PM 10-25-2009
In TX, we have to use the bleach solution for alot of things. There is a so called 4 step process with the bleach, soap and water, clear water and then air dry. They change the system all the time so who knows what it is now.

However while I was at my former center we had to use this 4 step process on the changing tables. Well when you have to change 5 plus diapers at a time you are not going to wait for the darn thing to air dry. Plus if we did we would have the parents complain about the bleach getting on the kids clothes, not to mention on our clothes as well.

So while we would keep a bottle of the solution where state can see it, we would have a can Lysol there. We would just use that. It worked just as well.

Of course should state be there, we would do the 4 steps. However number 1 rule when state is there: NEVER CHANGE A DIAPER. They watch you like hawks
HandsOnLearning 12:17 PM 10-26-2009
its the law here to use a certain bleach/water solution

we also use peroxide to disinfect at night in the restrooms, this kills crypto!!
We buy peroxide in bulk and wash toilets and changing areas each night with themm during the day we use the bleach water solution after each toilet use and diaper change
Unregistered 08:18 PM 01-14-2010
The use of bleach in daycare is very dangerous because it is very caustic to the sinus mucosa. Every time that I pick up my grandchildren from the daycare that they attend, the smell of bleach is overwhelming my grandson's eye's are red and blinking.
They do not wait until the children are gone for the day. The clothing should be the least of our worries. We need to worry about their lungs and health. The bleach may be killing germs but it is also harming the children.
Another alarming point about the use of bleach is that when it is mixed with ammonia it forms a very harmful and sometimes lethal gas. Well, doesn't urine contain ammonia? What happens to the little children when urine is wiped up using the bleach mixture?
There is no way to regulate the proper mixing proportions in every daycare in the country. If it is going to be required to use shouldn't it be in a premixed form?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this? I am very worried about the long term effects that it will have on my grandchildren.
gbcc 06:45 PM 01-15-2010
I am not allowed to use anything other than bleach in my state. We do have the option to buy the hospital grade solution but bleech is $1 per bottle and the hospital grade is $25 per bottle. so, the choice there is obvious. I hate bleech, the smell and the stains. I have never liked it but if I am caught using pinesol or lysol instead I could be shut down.
jen 02:08 PM 01-16-2010
As a licensed provider, it is required that we spray the changing pad with a bleach/water solution after each diaper change. If the changing pad wasn't completely dry, it would be easy to accidentally damage clothing. You should see my clothes, pretty much everything has a bleach mark here or there.

If it is to the point of bothering his eyes, they may have the solution mixed too strongly. As always, if you have any questions you should approach the director/provider.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The use of bleach in daycare is very dangerous because it is very caustic to the sinus mucosa. Every time that I pick up my grandchildren from the daycare that they attend, the smell of bleach is overwhelming my grandson's eye's are red and blinking.
They do not wait until the children are gone for the day. The clothing should be the least of our worries. We need to worry about their lungs and health. The bleach may be killing germs but it is also harming the children.
Another alarming point about the use of bleach is that when it is mixed with ammonia it forms a very harmful and sometimes lethal gas. Well, doesn't urine contain ammonia? What happens to the little children when urine is wiped up using the bleach mixture?
There is no way to regulate the proper mixing proportions in every daycare in the country. If it is going to be required to use shouldn't it be in a premixed form?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this? I am very worried about the long term effects that it will have on my grandchildren.
IF the bleach solution is used at the proper mixing concentrations (10 parts water, 1 part bleach) there should be absolutely no problem regarding health issues. I used to work in an Ear, Nose and Throat doctors office and we cleaned every single day with a bleach concentration as it was much cheaper than the commercial bleach mixture. If it had been any problem regarding sinus mucosa, our doctor would never have allowed us to use it in his practice.

Urine does not contain ammonia. It is often said that urine has an odor of ammonia, which is usually due to an infection. There are no dangers if bleach comes into contact with urine.
Unregistered 05:18 AM 11-03-2019
The main problem is your worker is using too strong of solution. They pour too much. Often centers use economy size big huge bottles of bleach, 1.5 Teaspoons per spray bottle is a very small amount to measure properly and not go over. ( We use an eye dropper) We also use color changing test strips in our solution to be sure it is the right concentration. A log is required, ask to see it. As it has to be mixed fresh every day, the workers "eye ball" it and or think if a little is good, a lot should be great! When mixed properly, it shouldn't be strong enough to bleach clothing or smell at all. When there is contaminated water from disasters bleach is even used in very very very small concentrations to make drinking water safe! They can wipe a surface dry after 2 mins of contact. I keep a timer set at 2 mins and always dry off the change mat before the next kid. I also spray my snack table, set the timer and stand gaurd in front of it for 2 mins. Or spray right before we head out the door to recess and it's air dried by the time we come back in.
Unregistered 02:54 AM 01-30-2010
I had the same problem. I picked up my daughter from daycare. She had bleach stains on one of the pant legs. I told the teacher all she said was sorry about that. Than I talked to the director she said that she will take of it. But I never got a call back from her. So, I went down to talk to her myself and found out that the bleach spray bottle was not spraying so the teacher opened the bottle and poured it, and than wiped it. But the left over spilled on the chair. And when my daugther sat down her pants was bleached. And today the teacher who was guity she gave my daughter giftcard for walmart. And I also know that she got a first warning for the director. Because she was in tears when is told me want happened. And was very sorry about it and offered to replace the pants. I told her what if the bleach got on her skin. Than? But I guess she learnt a lesson not to do that again. But I feel guity taking the giftcard. But does that solves the problem. Is my child safe?

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My 2 year old son attends a daycare in Lilburn, GA. Until today, I have been fairly pleased with the facility and he seems to love it. When I went to pick him up this evening, I noticed that there were several bleach marks on the back of his navy blue pants. As annoyed as I am about the pants, I am very upset that he was exposed to bleach.

Isn't there something in daycare standards or guidelines that states that chemicals should not be used around the children? In my opinion, all cleaning should be done when the children are out of the classroom as not to expose them to harmful chemicals. I am just glad that it was only his pants that were ruined and that he didn't ingest any. He sticks his hands in his mouth all of the time and could have very easily gotten very sick if he had done so after touching the bleached area. I pointed the marks on his pants to the evening teacher, who's name I do not know, and she stated that she had not noticed the marks and had no idea when it had been done.

Could someone tell me who the proper channel would be to notify? Other than bringing it up to the daycare director, I do not know what else to do. Beside, I do not think that it would do any good to report it to the director. I would appreciate any help that anyone could provide me with.

Unregistered 03:11 PM 02-03-2010
Google it. The company listed is Athena GTX in Iowa.
Unregistered 04:24 PM 08-10-2010
There is an alternative to the bleach solution that is required by law. Bleach is dangerous no matter how diluted it is. "Thieves" Household cleaner is a all natural, essential oil based cleaning solution. Safe to use around children and pets, it is non toxic and environmentally friendly. "Thieves" Household cleaner smells clean and fresh. And it won't ruin clothes. I had to have my two boys in day care so I understand how difficult it can be. We all want the best for our kids and we want them to grow up in a toxin free environment.
Jewels 04:32 AM 08-16-2010
I live in MN, and my county has a form, we can fill out to use a different product other than bleach/water, Just have to have it signed by the county, and available at all times.........I do use the bleach water mix though, When children are around, I only use it, in between diaper changes, and on the toilet seats and handles, Otherwise I do all my cleaning after they leave, I am going to look into the Spectra24 though.
SunshineMama 07:56 AM 11-14-2012
I didn't read all of the responses, (I'm sure someone else already stated this), but some illnesses are not killed by Lysol, only bleach. Like HFMD, for example.
itlw8 07:28 AM 11-15-2012
You can't use lysol on any mouthable surface around children You can clean the floors but not toys. It contains pine tar that causes cancer.
Tags:2008, allergies, ammonium, asthma, bacteria, bleach, chlorine, clean, disinfectants, germs, iodine, sanitizer, solution
Reply Up