Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Sometimes Amaze Me
Francine 10:21 AM 09-14-2010
I have talked before about my 15 month old dcb who is here only Monday and Tuesday mornings and then all day on Wednesday. His parents don't want me to let him sleep at all in the mornings M & T so that when Dad picks him up he can take him home and put him down for his nap ( dad works nights and wants to sleep too) so needless to say this little guy miserable some mornings just because he is tired. I have on occasion had him fall asleep on the playroom floor, I will let him sleep for 1/2 hour and he is great after that he just needs a little snooze. He was out of town all weekend including yesterday with his Mom, they didn't get back into town until midnight last night but still I wasn't suppose to let him sleep this morning. I emailed the Mom a picture of him sound asleep in the highchair during snack, her reply was " I don't know why it is so hard for you to keep him awake"

Seriously? Really? You were out until midnight and didn't expect him to be tired this morning?
TGT09 10:25 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I have talked before about my 15 month old dcb who is here only Monday and Tuesday mornings and then all day on Wednesday. His parents don't want me to let him sleep at all in the mornings M & T so that when Dad picks him up he can take him home and put him down for his nap ( dad works nights and wants to sleep too) so needless to say this little guy miserable some mornings just because he is tired. I have on occasion had him fall asleep on the playroom floor, I will let him sleep for 1/2 hour and he is great after that he just needs a little snooze. He was out of town all weekend including yesterday with his Mom, they didn't get back into town until midnight last night but still I wasn't suppose to let him sleep this morning. I emailed the Mom a picture of him sound asleep in the highchair during snack, her reply was " I don't know why it is so hard for you to keep him awake"

Seriously? Really? You were out until midnight and didn't expect him to be tired this morning?
I would be livid at that reply! Obviously, you aren't "allowing" him to go to sleep! If the child is sleepy enough to fall asleep like that in his highchair then he's not even sleepy, he's EXHAUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seashell 10:28 AM 09-14-2010
Sounds like one of those families who you just do what's best for the child (morning nap) and then not tell mom and dad.
TGT09 10:29 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by seashell:
Sounds like one of those families who you just do what's best for the child (morning nap) and then not tell mom and dad.
YEP! I couldn't agree more! They obviously aren't thinking of the child.
countrymom 10:30 AM 09-14-2010
I agree with the statement above, let him sleep and not tell parents.
Francine 10:37 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by seashell:
Oh, I have done that and I get called on it every time. " DCB didn't want an afternoon nap until 5:00, he must have slept at your house" Part of the problem with this couple is that they will not let the kid cry at all at bed time so if he wimpers when they put him in the crib they get him back out. On Wednesdays when he is here all day, he sleeps for about 1 hour in the morning and then goes down at 12:30-1:00 and sleeps until I wake him at 2:30 ( pick up is 3:00) He cries for a few minutes when I lay him down but then he is out, they won't let him cry!!!! Let the kid be a kid, kids cry it's what they do.

I am actually just buying my time with this family because she is due to have another baby in December, after she has the baby they want to bring both of the kids here just Wednesdays. I'm not doing that, this little guy has had a hard enough time, his baby sister is never going to get use to being here if she only comes one day per week. When I get just the right call I am going to fill the spot unless they decide they want to bring both of the kids three full days per week. I'm not even going to get into these half days with an infant, can you imagine me trying to keep an infant awake so that she can go home and sleep with Dad. No Way!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:03 AM 09-14-2010
I would just tell them that you will try, but if he falls asleep you arent waking him.
kidkair 11:19 AM 09-14-2010
I'd suggest they go full time M and T so that dad and the kid can sleep enough since you have no problem getting him to sleep for a decently timed nap. Just suggest it's in the best interest of the child and father. I've watched kids through nap times just so the parent can get some rest too and that way the parent and kid can spend quality time together both refreshed rather than both tired.
Francine 11:22 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I'd suggest they go full time M and T so that dad and the kid can sleep enough since you have no problem getting him to sleep for a decently timed nap. Just suggest it's in the best interest of the child and father. I've watched kids through nap times just so the parent can get some rest too and that way the parent and kid can spend quality time together both refreshed rather than both tired.
Oh, it's been suggested believe me! I just repeated the suggestion today when I sent the picture of him sleeping in the highchair.
Lilbutterflie 12:07 PM 09-14-2010
If a child falls asleep on his/her OWN, that is their way of telling us they NEED the sleep! I agree with the previous posts, you really should push for the child to stay with you while the father takes a decent nap. It's Win-Win for everyone!

The parents also need to realize that when they put their child in daycare, they no longer have control over their children's schedules... they succumb to the daycare's schedule! I realize that infants make their own schedules, but he is old enough now to be put on the daycare's schedule. I have this in my contract, I learned this the hard way from a previous dcm.
Crystal 12:07 PM 09-14-2010
I would tell them that it is not healthy for a child of his age not to sleep "at will" that means, when HE needs it, not when it best suits THEM. I'd find an article on infant/toddler sleep that informs them that what they are doing with this child is unhealthy and neglectful.

On the part " I don't know why it is so hard for you to keep him awake"
I'd ask her why it is so hard for her husband to stay awake to take care of their child when the FATHER is tired....after all, he sleeps when HE'S tired. They expect an infant to stay awake when exhausted, but it's okay for Dad to sleep when he's exhausted?

I'd also respond in this way "If my services do not meet the needs of your family, you are welcome to find alternate care that can meet your families' needs"
juliebug 12:20 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
YEP! I couldn't agree more! They obviously aren't thinking of the child.
I so agree~! i have and would do this again!
Tags:naptime
Reply Up