Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is that Normal for Children to Hit Each Other?
Angie 04:32 PM 03-15-2012
I am having an issue with a parent that has told his child that when he is being hit by another child it is okay to hit back. I have explained to them that I do not allow or encourage this behavior. I gave them examples of how his child can handle this situation differently. For example, telling the other child they do not like to be hit, getting out of the area where the conflict is taking place, come talk to me, make a silly face at the other person and distract them. He still insists that hitting back to defend himself is the answer. I guess I need some guidance on how I can further convey to this parent that I can not allow this to happen in my day care. I found a few areas in the Parent handbook that may help, but if you have another other input that would help me, I would appreciate to hear it.

Thank you!
daycare 04:54 PM 03-15-2012
Depending on the age of the child, YES hitting is normal.

I have a zero tolerance on violence policy.

So if any parent told a child to hit another child, they would be termed from my care..
Ariana 05:20 PM 03-15-2012
I would simply state that if this is their philosophy then they will be endangering other children in my care and they will be terminated. Hitting out of frustration when you're a kid is one thing but being encouraged to hit by a parent is unacceptable.
Tags:hitting
Reply Up