Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Burnout (Vent)
AfterSchoolMom 12:41 PM 05-04-2011
As some of you know, I do SA care only before and after school. I'm in the minority here as I normally love this age group and prefer it over the littles.

However...ever since this new family started with the badly behaving child, my afternoons have been a living h*ll. I have never had a child show such bad manners and disrespect to me, my home, and my rules!!!!! To make matters worse, the other kids that are normally well behaved are feeding off of this and their behavior is getting worse as well. I start dreading the passing of time at about 2pm each and every day and feel like I got run over by a bus by 5pm. This one child has made me absolutely hate what I do!

There are five more weeks of school left and then I'm done with this family. I keep telling myself that I need this money, that it'd be unprofessional of me to term them this close to the end of the year (and would probably get around to other potential families) and I may as well stick it out...but the days are dragging SO badly. I'm feeling the burnout in a big way and it's even making me question whether or not I want to continue with this for next school year.

Ugh. 5 more weeks seems like an eternity right now!

jen2651 01:06 PM 05-04-2011
I don't have much to say except good luck! Can you give yourself mini-treats? Like on Wednesday of every week after they have left have a piece of dove chocolate? or one of those 'special' coffees from McDonalds (ps, when did McDonalds get so gosh darn expensive?!) At least then it would make the worst day seem the most rewarding!
cheerfuldom 01:30 PM 05-04-2011
ugh, that sounds awful. really I am way beyond accommodating little monster kids anymore. He's going to ruin your entire spring and I would just term him. Unless you have a huge concern about this getting around and you have difficulty as it is getting new families. I hate when one kid is controlling the mood for everyone. He's ruining all the other kids spring too. Good luck with the decision!
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 05-05-2011
Sorry to hear this.... I guess it is true when they say one bad apple ruins the bunch. I used to have one like that too! I dreaded the days he came and couldn't believe that one school age kid could ruin my day but he did. The other kids always caught on too and acted badly when he was around. I wish I could give you some advice or some magic cure but I have ot say, this one kid I had is what soured me to school age kids and why I don't provide care for the ones older than 6 now. Hang in there, school is almost out and you won't have to deal with him much longer!! (((hugs))) in the mean time.
laundrymom 10:26 AM 05-05-2011
I say talk to parents about his behavior and if that doesn't help them term him. His behavior is making you hate your job. You mean more to you than doing this job. Did that come out right? YOU are too important to allow you to be treated this way. Good luck.
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
As some of you know, I do SA care only before and after school. I'm in the minority here as I normally love this age group and prefer it over the littles.

However...ever since this new family started with the badly behaving child, my afternoons have been a living h*ll. I have never had a child show such bad manners and disrespect to me, my home, and my rules!!!!! To make matters worse, the other kids that are normally well behaved are feeding off of this and their behavior is getting worse as well. I start dreading the passing of time at about 2pm each and every day and feel like I got run over by a bus by 5pm. This one child has made me absolutely hate what I do!

There are five more weeks of school left and then I'm done with this family. I keep telling myself that I need this money, that it'd be unprofessional of me to term them this close to the end of the year (and would probably get around to other potential families) and I may as well stick it out...but the days are dragging SO badly. I'm feeling the burnout in a big way and it's even making me question whether or not I want to continue with this for next school year.

Ugh. 5 more weeks seems like an eternity right now!

radhas 01:03 PM 05-05-2011
Hi,

I am also doing before and after school care. I did had the same problem. I have just 2 kids for now and those 2 treated me like I am their servant and they had all bad habits. I was really quiet for 4 months and I could not handle. One day I sat with them and Had bit talk and I had talked to the parents too, I told them that I am terminating them. But, we all sat together and decided to give it a chance for a month. They behaved very well for first month and now again they started. Like I have decided to keep them just for this school year and not taking next school year. What I do is once they leave I will have my coffee and sit, watch TV for 30 minutes and go out for walking to relax myself. Do something what you like to do. I am keeping them because they pay me well. Good Luck.
Tags:burnt out, school-age, vent
Reply Up