Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Please..How Many Hours A Day
jenboo 02:53 PM 08-29-2013
do you limit how many hours a day children can be in your care?
if so, do you enforce it?

I was thinking of doing a 10 hour limit...im trying avoid parents leaving their children with me while they run errands, etc.

what do you do if a parent cannot get to you within 10 hours because of the driving time/hours they work?

This might sounds a little trivial but i really want to be as clear as possible in my handbook/contract because i know parents will walk all over me. im going to try my hardest not to let it happen, but im not the greatest in that department
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 08-29-2013
I used to allow kids to be here from open to close and they were...

Then I changed to contracted hours with no limit to hours per day or week. Works fantastic!

Now I just changed to contracted hours with a MAX limit per week.

5 days a week is 45 hours max per week
4 days a week is 36 hours max per week
3 days a week is 27 hours max per week

I didn't want to limit the daily hours so I limited the weekly hours used instead.

So far it's worked great!

HTH
Blackcat31 03:19 PM 08-29-2013
Oh and as far as the overages go, if a parent actually needs MORE than the max amount I will allow it but at a much higher fee. (I broke it up into 15 minute increments) and it must be scheduled in ADVANCE or it will be considered late and that costs $1 per minute
Bookworm 03:28 PM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to allow kids to be here from open to close and they were...

Then I changed to contracted hours with no limit to hours per day or week. Works fantastic!

Now I just changed to contracted hours with a MAX limit per week.

5 days a week is 45 hours max per week
4 days a week is 36 hours max per week
3 days a week is 27 hours max per week

I didn't want to limit the daily hours so I limited the weekly hours used instead.

So far it's worked great!

HTH
I like your plan. We're working on this at work and didn't think of this. Mind if I share?
cheerfuldom 05:35 PM 08-29-2013
My business hours are 10 hours per day. If a parent cannot get here in time, then I am not the right fit for them.
mamac 05:44 PM 08-29-2013
Oh and as far as the overages go, if a parent actually needs MORE than the max amount I will allow it but at a much higher fee. (I broke it up into 15 minute increments) and it must be scheduled in ADVANCE or it will be considered late and that costs $1 per minute
I know you've posted your rates before but I don't recall if you've ever shared your OT rates. Would you mind sharing them? Currently I am adding the (scheduled) overtime minutes and charging by my hourly rate for the total overage. It didn't occur to me until just now that my working over 9 hours per day should come at a much higher rate just as overtime pay at a "normal" job.
SunflowerMama 06:49 PM 08-29-2013
I'm open less than 10hrs a day (7:45am - 5pm) for this very reason. Limits the hours kids are in care and gives me more time with my family.
MotherNature 04:43 AM 08-30-2013
I am open 12 hours a day, but both my clients are here about 10 hrs a day. One gets here at 730 ( open & close at 7)and leaves at 530 The other at 830-9 and leaves at 545-6.
Aside from the long schedule, I have zero probs with either family-no drama, never late payers, sometimes run a little late, maybe twice, but always let me know
Cat Herder 06:54 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
My business hours are 10 hours per day. If a parent cannot get here in time, then I am not the right fit for them.
This

I want simple.

No keeping up with who used how many hours. No enforcing correct payments. No adjusting rates. No arguing fees.

And the biggie: No more "How much do I owe you, again???"
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I like your plan. We're working on this at work and didn't think of this. Mind if I share?
Feel free..

Originally Posted by mamac:
I know you've posted your rates before but I don't recall if you've ever shared your OT rates. Would you mind sharing them? Currently I am adding the (scheduled) overtime minutes and charging by my hourly rate for the total overage. It didn't occur to me until just now that my working over 9 hours per day should come at a much higher rate just as overtime pay at a "normal" job.
I have decided to charge my families that need "over time" hours beyond the weekly max at a rate of $2.00 for each 15 minute block of time they need.

At first, I was just going to charge $6 an hour but not everyone needed the full hour and only wanted 15 or 30 minutes so I broke it down and decided on $2.00 per 15 minutes.

I kind of think it is a little steep but honestly, I really didn't want to offer OT at all but I don't think it would work to not offer it at times...kwim?

So far, no one has complained. One mom has made arrangements to have dad pick up so they don't get charged, which I had originally asked them to do but they said they couldn't, but now miraculously to avoid a $2-4 charge they can make it work.

My one family that I KNOW is using atleast 5 hours more than the weekly max actually said they thought it was about time I started charging more for the extra hours I put in.
mamac 07:24 AM 08-30-2013
Feel free..

I have decided to charge my families that need "over time" hours beyond the weekly max at a rate of $2.00 for each 15 minute block of time they need.

At first, I was just going to charge $6 an hour but not everyone needed the full hour and only wanted 15 or 30 minutes so I broke it down and decided on $2.00 per 15 minutes.

I kind of think it is a little steep but honestly, I really didn't want to offer OT at all but I don't think it would work to not offer it at times...kwim?

So far, no one has complained. One mom has made arrangements to have dad pick up so they don't get charged, which I had originally asked them to do but they said they couldn't, but now miraculously to avoid a $2-4 charge they can make it work.

My one family that I KNOW is using atleast 5 hours more than the weekly max actually said they thought it was about time I started charging more for the extra hours I put in.
Funny how miracles happen when there is money involved.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely like the idea of charging in 15 minute increments. I actually think $2/15 minutes is fair, especially if the hourly rate would have been $6/hr. That's only an extra .50 per 15 minutes.
Reply Up