Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Disappointed In New Regs
Josiegirl 03:10 AM 06-05-2014
UGH There will be many changes with our state's regulations in another year. I wish I were closer to retirement age.
One is there will be new ways of cleaning and our resource development person says they WILL BE extensive. Another is if you have any wood outside, it all has to be sealed. Tree cookies, etc. Somebody pointed out 'but not mulch?' Plus, no matter how many umpteen years you've been working with children, you still need to take a 45 hr. Fundamentals class or have college credits. Plus an additional 6 hr. training for medication administering(what if you write in your policies you will not give meds.?). Plus they are upping the required # of training hours. So if you're doing the STARS program, everything increases with that too. I'll constantly be attending classes.
coolconfidentme 03:21 AM 06-05-2014
I keep thinking, in my state I can care for 5 children unlicensed without being regulated or 10 with my license & spend all my waking hours keeping up with the documentation & requirements. Sometimes I wonder which is best for my sanity.
VTMom 05:44 AM 06-05-2014
Perfect. I hadn't heard any specifics about the changes yet. I thought the new changes were supposed to ensure quality care AND a better work experience for the providers. I wonder where the positives for providers comes in. The sealing of the wood thing doesn't make sense to me. What's the goal with that? Prevention of splinters while adding toxic chemicals?
Chellieleanne 09:48 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I keep thinking, in my state I can care for 5 children unlicensed without being regulated or 10 with my license & spend all my waking hours keeping up with the documentation & requirements. Sometimes I wonder which is best for my sanity.
I can care for 4 and be unlicensed. I am sticking with that for now. I follow some of the things for licensing( how often for meals/snacks, disinfecting, inside/outside room and a few others) but it isn't worth it to me to get licensed especially when I don't have time to take the classes and what not for it. It is better for my sanity

I think licensing would get on my nerves to no end between classes, regulations and everything else. I know if I relied on the income it would be different though.
Annalee 10:24 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
UGH There will be many changes with our state's regulations in another year. I wish I were closer to retirement age.
One is there will be new ways of cleaning and our resource development person says they WILL BE extensive. Another is if you have any wood outside, it all has to be sealed. Tree cookies, etc. Somebody pointed out 'but not mulch?' Plus, no matter how many umpteen years you've been working with children, you still need to take a 45 hr. Fundamentals class or have college credits. Plus an additional 6 hr. training for medication administering(what if you write in your policies you will not give meds.?). Plus they are upping the required # of training hours. So if you're doing the STARS program, everything increases with that too. I'll constantly be attending classes.
When QRIS/licensing started revamping child care in 2002, TN rose the next few years to number 2 or 3 in quality across the U.S., BUT have fallen in the last few years....I think government is striving to "maintain" a higher quality standard in child care, but obviously, is having a tougher time now due to providers NOT being on board with unrealistic expectations...plus departments are either done away with or simply have no funding for them to do what they wish. BUT will it stop the government from trying? NO!!!!! There have been more changes for child care in the last 10 years than there have the entire 20 plus I have been in business of home child care. I FEEL YOUR PAIN! HANG IN THERE!
Josiegirl 10:44 AM 06-05-2014
VTmom, I don't know if you take subsidized kids but if you do, you will HAVE to join the union.
There's a whole process that all these regs. have to go through but supposedly, they'll be going into affect Sept. 2015, new providers will have to comply immediately, other providers will have 12-18 months to comply. We were told that if we are not happy with all their rules, to go to the CDD website and comment comment comment. I think the newest draft of the regulations are posted there. They said possibly if enough providers complain about certain regs. they might rethink them. One good thing is your registration is good for 3 years instead of just one. You'll also have to get fingerprinted, and any assistants you have.
I was telling a dcm this a.m. some of the changes and she says 'sounds like they're trying to weed out the home daycares.' Yep, that was my gut feeling too.
In Vt. we can remain unlicensed if we care for 2 families. They could have 10 kids between them, but no more than 2 families. Someone asked about penalties for flying under the radar. And she said 'while she loves all of us and highly respects what we do, if she finds out we're operating illegally, she will come after us.' And it's something like a fine of $500 a day.
coolconfidentme 11:04 AM 06-05-2014
All the documentation is taking to fun outta daycare. I spend my only break (naptime) going over paperwork & cert stuff. I wanna do a whole bunch of nothing or catch the latest Bachelorette episode while the wee ones sleep. UGH!
Josiegirl 02:38 PM 06-05-2014
One woman made a comment that ok, if their cleaning regs. are going to be that excessive, she'll just stick her kids in a different room to fend for themselves and clean all day, if that's the most important thing to the state! And this coming from a 4 STAR super-involved home daycare provider, she's involved with all kinds of kid-related things in town! They said even just a simple cleaning the table after lunch is going to be a process. REALLY??? How in heaven's name did we all live through a simply washed table as kids?
Yeh, so much for quality child care. Oh wait, we can let them watch television while we keep up with all the extra paperwork, cleaning, etc.
Do they ever give anybody static about cobwebs? Somebody got in trouble over cobwebs. Uh, I can see if it looks like Halloween everywhere but come on, I don't clean cobwebs out every night.

Sorry, I'm just a tad disheartened tonight.
Annalee 03:06 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
One woman made a comment that ok, if their cleaning regs. are going to be that excessive, she'll just stick her kids in a different room to fend for themselves and clean all day, if that's the most important thing to the state! And this coming from a 4 STAR super-involved home daycare provider, she's involved with all kinds of kid-related things in town! They said even just a simple cleaning the table after lunch is going to be a process. REALLY??? How in heaven's name did we all live through a simply washed table as kids?
Yeh, so much for quality child care. Oh wait, we can let them watch television while we keep up with all the extra paperwork, cleaning, etc.
Do they ever give anybody static about cobwebs? Somebody got in trouble over cobwebs. Uh, I can see if it looks like Halloween everywhere but come on, I don't clean cobwebs out every night.

Sorry, I'm just a tad disheartened tonight.
We have a 2-step cleaning process....soap/water, then bleach/water, but there is a few seconds time limit to this as well....yes, it is ludicrous!!!!!! same for changing table mat after you do the 10-step diapering process...oh yeah, they cut it back to 8 steps...And we are supposed to have quality time with the kids when?????? duh!!!!
Tags:regulations, regulations - crazy
Reply Up