Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Software for Bookeeping & forms? Help for Newbie In Home Unlicensed Daycare
Unregistered 03:35 PM 02-23-2010
Hi all! I'm in the process of obtaining a license, the education credits required will probably take me about a year to fulfill. I have a B.S. in Business Management, but managing a small in home daycare is its own beast! I am gaining the childhood education to become more formally educated in childhood care & education & am excited to do this! I been recertified in CPR & first aid. I've gotten my home ready for the daycare, marketing materials & family ready. The main subject I am now working on is preparing for the nitty gritty of it all - the forms, legality, buiness portion, recordkeeping etc. I would love to know if anyone uses a software program that is faster? Or other methods smaller providers use to manage the business side of things. Any books or handbooks you might recommend on these types of subjects? Websites that have more information? I have one child of my own, 8M old baby boy I'll be caring for & would love to get 2 other FT infants reasonably close to his age.
MarinaVanessa 09:56 AM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi all! I'm in the process of obtaining a license, the education credits required will probably take me about a year to fulfill.
Just curious if you meant that you wanted to the childhood education for your own benefit or because it was a requirement to get your license. I'm in California and didn't have a requirement for any child development degrees or courses other than the first aid, safety and CPR (even though I also choose to do so and and now currently working towards my CDA) Just wondering.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Any books or handbooks you might recommend on these types of subjects?
I don't use software at all for my DC but I really liked Record-Keeping Guide, Marketing Guide and Contracts & Policies by Redleaf Press redleafpress.org. I haven't tried it but they also have a Tax Workbook and Organizer that is supposed to help with keeping track of expenses and such for the next tax season and Redleaf Complete Forms Kit for Early Childhood Professionals. These are books and such (some come with CD roms) that can run from about $15-$20 but I bought mine from ebay or amazon.com and found them cheaper (some were used).

I also contacted my local Child Referal Agency (it's called Child Development Resources in my area) and they told me about a workshop that teaches you about the business aspect of everything (record-keeping, taxes, policies, contracts, tax refundables etc). You may want to try that. Hope this helps.

PS: Just as an insight, you probably aren't getting a lot of responses because you are an unregistered guest. Members typically choose not to reply to anonymity so you'll probably get a better response if you sign up as a member. Good Luck!!!
JVoltz 02:05 PM 03-02-2010
Besides the Redleaf books by Tom Copeland mentioned previously, here are a number of other books that may be helpful: The Inside Scoop by Chamayne Green, The CDA Prep Guide by Debra Pierce, From Babysitter to Business Owner by Patricia Dischler, The Redleaf Calendar Keeper, Family Child Care Legal and Insurance Guide by Tom Copeland, Family Child Care Business Planning Guide by Tom Copeland, and Money Management & Retirement Guide by Tom Copeland. You can get more information on all of them on the Redleaf Press Web site.
Tags:bookkeeping, business management, redleaf press, tax workbook, taxes
Reply Up